Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 11:19 AM
Default Pleasure Aspiration Discussion
This is a common thread intended for discussing the Pleasure aspiration and what use it has in your game. And also the similarities and differences between it and the other aspirations. Since I have seen several comments by people saying how they feel that the Pleasure aspiration is useless in that the Sims that aspire to the aspiration just want to do fun things and go Downtown. https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...tion_sims_just/

Well personally I have never been one of those people. Quite the contrary. I find the Pleasure aspiration to be quite a good replacement for the Romance aspiration if you want to create Sims that love to love but don't necessarily want to cheat. Before I discovered the Pleasure aspiration, I would often create Sims with the Romance aspiration, because I wanted them to focus on finding Sims to fall in love with, but I initially didn't realise that the Romance aspiration generally focussed on finding as many lovers as possible, as well as not wanting to be committed to a relationship.

Other aspirations that I have compared the Pleasure aspiration to are the Knowledge and Fortune aspirations, though it definitely wouldn't be suitable as a substitute for those two aspirations. Pleasure Sims want to go Downtown which Vampires frequent. And Knowledge Sims want to become vampires. So while that does make them somewhat comparable, that definitely counts for very little. Pleasure Sims can also be somewhat comparable to Fortune Sims in that they may both roll wants to buy things costing a certain amount of money. Though Pleasure Sims only tend to roll wants to buy entertainment objects costing a certain amount of money, as opposed to objects in general.

Personally I think that it is a shame that the Pleasure aspiration wasn't included in all expansion packs after Nightlife. With all the townies with the Pisces zodiac sign and the Knowledge aspiration, and the Capricorn zodiac sign and the Fortune aspiration, I changed their aspirations to Pleasure so that there would be an even number of townie zodiac signs per aspiration.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 1:27 PM
Honestly I'm one of those people who dislike the pleasure aspiration. They're just not that rewarding to play, all they wanna do is do random stuff that barely make them happy, and I'm pretty sure it's rare they roll any power wants that move their story along like having a kid or getting cheated on or whatever. They're good for personality purposes, since pleasure is a more suitable "party animal" aspiration IMO than popularity, but that's about all I like about them. I agree they could be substitutes for romance if you wanted them to be, but personally I consider it different. I did give it to more sims in my hood, so my attitude might just change a bit, but for now I'm just really not a fan.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 1:55 PM
I remember when I first started playing sims was my 3 go to Family, Fortune and Pleasure bc they seemed easy to play when I was nothing but like... 8 years old.

Anyway now I don't play Pleasure a lot as a main aspiration but it often rolls itself in on the secondary one and usually pretty good as mentioned with Romance, Fortune and Popularity.

I don't straight up dislike it but I gotta agree with Sugo that there isn't much story driven goals with it :/
I'll play it if a sim is Pleasure by random rolling but yeah. Not much to add on it to be honest.

I build small houses *^*
Forum Resident
#4 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:27 PM
The Pleasure Aspiration isn't one of my favourites, but it isn't one of my least favourite aspirations either. In fact, my least used aspiration is Romance if I'm making my own sims.

I usually give my more 'carefree' or 'sims that don't care where they go in life' the Pleasure Aspiration, which admittedly, isn't many; in Crystal Pleasantview for example, the only Pleasure sims are Victoria Goth and Henry Goth... and in a hood with almost 20 households, isn't many. I do give them a suitable secondary aspiration if I feel that they gained some purpose in their story or something, but so far, nothing's happened yet.

My favourite aspiration from favourite to least favourite is Family, Popularity, Knowledge, Fortune, Pleasure, Romance, and lastly Grilled Cheese.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Forum Resident
#5 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 3:04 PM
I enjoy the Pleasure aspiration and the sims with it. I like that they mainly just wanna have a good time and do fun stuff. The "smaller" wishes don't bother me either, like changing into pajamas or playing on the couch, they're quick and easy to fulfill and move along to the next one anyway. It works nicely as a secondary aspiration, too. The 50 first dates and even moreso 50 dream dates lifetime wishes are jokes, though. Way too tedious for me to even attempt to fulfill.

I am Error.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 3:15 PM
Pleasure is a great aspiration. Pleasure sims are not obsessed with making children. They are not obsessed with gaining skill points. They are not obsessed with Woohoo. They are not obsessed with making friends. They are not obsessed with grilled cheese and they are not obsessed with going to work. Pleasure sims take everything as the life flows, For sure they like to go out into town and meet all those obsessed sims, sing them Rowdy Folk Song and cheer them up.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 4:16 PM
I like pleasure sims ok. I don't dislike any aspiration (though I may get bored of too much grilled cheese after awhile). My favorites are family and knowledge though but that's all I used to use when I first started playing Sims so I got tired of the same old same old and now try to have a variety of aspirations, helped through random rolling. Pleasure aspiration sims seem like a nice life lesson to if I think about it, just try to enjoy life the best you can (which can be mighty difficult sometimes), find pleasure in the little things, because otherwise, at least in my case, one might end up losing ones marbles.

My Simblr
He/They
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 4:20 PM
The lifetime wants are a bit limiting though-
  • Go on 50 1st Dates
  • Go on 50 Dream Dates
  • Become Professional Party Guest
  • Become Game Designer
  • Become Celebrity Chef
The date ones seem like something a Pleasure sim would like to do, but the job wants mean a fair bit of skilling and going to work, when the sim just has wants to stay home from work or play cards!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
  • Go on 50 1st Dates
  • Go on 50 Dream Dates
  • Become Game Designer
  • Become Celebrity Chef
The date ones seem like something a Pleasure sim would like to do, but the job wants mean a fair bit of skilling and going to work, when the sim just has wants to stay home from work or play cards!

True lol. I don't always pay attention to LTW wants though

My Simblr
He/They
Theorist
#10 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 5:02 PM
I pretty much only use it for man(woman)child and party animal type Sims. When I want a slacker Sim who won't do much with his adult live and doesn't completely grow up.
I don't mean that in a negative way, they often fill the role of fun friend/uncle/aunt to other Sims.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 5:05 PM
I like the actual idea behind the aspiration as a nice blend of all the other aspirations, but I always felt the main limiting factor were its two 50 date related Lifetime wants due to the fact they pretty much require your Sim to do like 2 dates a day at minimum if they want to get their LTW done before elderhood.

But then there is the normal wants they tend to get which never give enough points most of the time, I remember most of their normal wants being 500 points, often I find it hard to get pleasure Sims into plats without relying on dates or secondary aspiration related wants, and without fixes Hobby related ones completely take over all pleasure related wants after a while.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 5:46 PM
When I first started playing I had a problem with Pleasure sims (people who've been around for awhile can skip the rest of the paragraph as I'm just going to talk about Bad News Bev again), so once I was comfortable that I had mastered enough aspects of the game to prevent disaster, I picked a Tricou to experiment with, the one with the Night Life hair. Her name in Drama Acres was Beverly Ku, and the rules I made for her were: No locking wants, fulfill as many wants as possible, damn the consequences. She joined the sorority, nearly bankrupted it buying clothes no one but her would wear, dated everyone at the frat she wasn't related to, dated a professor for a passing grade and got a C+ and a cheap stove out of it, threw outrageous parties, paid (or anyhow caused her sorority sisters to pay) heavenly bills, painted a lot of pictures, and generally had a ball while her sorority sisters scrambled to avert disaster and mostly succeeded. When she eventually graduated she moved in with her sister Lora, who was living downtown as a Fortune/Pleasure and working to restore the fortunes of the Tricous and buy the House of Fallen Trees. Bev banged their married neighbor Ashley Pitts-Upsnott and got pregnant because (for story purposes) her sorority sisters were no longer force-feeding her birth control pills at breakfast - she and Lora seldom ate breakfast at the same time. The pregnancy and the moving-in of Derek (the black Tricou) made the duplex they were living in too crowded, and the need to move house placed pressure on Lora's storyline, so that she married Jimmy Phoenix after a lot of soap opera and they just barely managed to move into the House of Fallen Trees. Derek and Bad News Bev (as her Tri-Var sisters called her) were very devoted to each other and Derek was an excellent uncle to little Tri Ku. Bev also turned out to be a surprisingly good mother, on one occasion autonomously stopping a date on the High Road to Woohoo in order to tend to his needs and play with him. So when Bev and Lora quarreled and an ex-dormie named Jim Spitzig began rolling wants against his best interests and married Bev, Derek moved out with her. That family arrangement worked out pretty well, as Jim and Derek were frat brothers and Derek's rule was that he hustled for a living instead of working for The Man, and he and Bev traded off childcare and trips to community lots. Bev named her second son, Dirk, after him, sort of. Anyway, Stuff Happened, Derek married a Knowledge sim with an alien baby (Derek, Pleasure/Fortune, was AWESOME in his own right), without him around to feed her birth control Bev got pregnant in a photo booth with her best friend's husband, named the resulting daughter Jamesina, and at the time I had to stop playing Drama Acres due to crashiness both Bev and Derek's families were living in a trailer in the same trailer park as Jamesina's father and his wife and five kids.

The point of the Ballad of Bad News Bev is, that no sim is an island. Bev's damn-the-consequences rule made her constant wants for dates and flirting and buying stuff and goofing off into story situations for everyone around her, and her relentless immaturity was the catalyst for those around her to mature - or not, in the case of Ashley Pitts-Upsnott, who had numerous chances to acknowledge Tri and didn't, cementing his character arc with his wife Brittany as being all about appearances and evading serious emotional work. Derek started out fighting with his frat brothers for "cheating on" his promiscuous sister and ended up abandoning his 50 First Dates LTW in favor of committing to a struggling single father and his hyperactive alien daughter. Jim went from being a feckless frat boy to being a superlatively patient and reliable husband raising three kids, two of them not his own, and doing it rather well. Bev precipitated the crisis that pushed the resolution of Lora's long drawn-out soap opera relationship with Jimmy Phoenix. Bev's rivalries with other serial daters, her relationship with her long-suffering and ambitious sister, and her cautionary tale of a legacy at the sorority spread her influence all around Drama Acres, affecting storylines in households that at first glance had nothing to do with her. She was a loose cannon and a force of nature. The sims around her either loved her or hated her, and both attitudes had consequences.

Since the Bev Experiment I have never played a Pleasure sim so extremely, but I have had a lot of fun with them. I wouldn't play one living alone (but it's rare that I play any sim living alone for more than a few rotations), but embedded in a nest of relationships they can fill a lot of roles. The constant small wants make them good support staff in hard households, as they can date to platinum once and maintain their moods with occasional small wants that don't take up much time in between making sure the toddler gets played with, the weeds get pulled, and the refrigerator is stocked. The want OP mentions multiple times is not "go downtown" but "visit community lot," and is satisfied just as well by a trip to the grocery store as by an expedition to Crypt-O-Night. Filling wants for parties and outings maintains connections throughout the neighborhood and creates opportunities for Drama. Pleasure sims can make decent money writing restaurant guides, busking, and/or creating sellable hobby products and need never get boring rabbit-hole jobs, making them ideal housemates or spouses for Family and Fortune sims who need someone to watch the kids. They are The Cool Aunt (nothing says the outing they want to put together can't consist of their child nieces and nephews; they can cruise the park for dates while the kids play) and when they get old they are easygoing and accepting, never rolling Relative Gets Engaged wants like Some Sims. Whatever awful situation you put them into, Pleasure sims can roll with it.

Pleasure is also a good aspiration to play with secondaries. Bev's sister Lora had a lot of trouble finding her direction to begin with, so I changed her aspiration to Fortune at Junior Year, but she was still not playing "right," so when I finally got Free Time I gave her Pleasure back as a secondary and suddenly she was firing on all cylinders. Derek's Fortune secondary is probably what gave him the stability to be the family rock that he became both for Bev's family and for his own. Pleasure/Family and vice-versa makes for a great stay-at-home parent. Pleasure/Knowledge combos are easy to break out of the Knowledge sim skilling vortex. Pleasure/Popularity is party/outing central and keeps the neighborhood connected. A connected neighborhood is a Dramatic neighborhood! Pleasure/Romance can be a bit much of a good thing, but the only sim I ever played as a single-sim household through her adult life was Romance/Pleasure and a small business owner. She dated, partied, and went on outings heavily, made stock, and ran her business, all these activities overlapping - she once had a party, an outing, and a date going all at once, and they all came out great. She was a challenge, and I rose to her.

Remember, Pleasure sims are all about having fun. Playing Sims is all about having fun. So it only requires a commitment to fun on your part to have a whale of a time with them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 6:29 PM
I think of pleasure sims as being the ones who act without thinking and often don't care about making something of themsleves.They're often much more likely to cheat on a spouse than romance sims or to not go anywhere in life even if they don't cheat and that might lead to family living in chronic poverty for multiple generations.They can also often have trouble holding down jobs and often tend to spend money and not save up like they should and also often end up dealing with unplanned pregnancies and unplanned children.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 6:34 PM
Here is Faith Hamilton in the green dress, singing a folk song in one pic and watching kicky bag in the other.
She is my pleasure sim and I adore her.
In the red shirt, busy with the Zen garden, is her serious husband, Stirling - a knowledge sim.
It works perfectly. (They are a little older now, but I remember that I had these pics of them).
Faith has played peek-a-boo with the babies, red hands with the toddlers, sang a thousand nursery rhymes; played red hands with the kids (not just theirs) and danced the hula and the slap dance with the teens.
Stirling would join in the dancing from time to time - but he changed the nappies, potty trained the toddlers, helped the children to study and taught them to play a great game of chess when they were teens. (He can teleport, so he can get to them really quickly )
Soon, they will be grandparents, and Faith will have fun with the grandkids while Sterling will teach them skills.
Screenshots
Instructor
#15 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 6:47 PM
Despite playing 2 since it came out, I feel like I never truly played the game until only just the last 2-3 years. I spent my childhood either killing sims or making "next top model" inspired stories that I never uploaded, or making one off idea families that I'd play with aging off and then forget about after a bit. This meant that until relatively recently ALL my sims were aries Pleasure aspirations with formal/underwear turn ons and fat turn offs 'cause I couldn't be bothered to give personalities to sims who didn't really need personalities.

Since I began properly playing I've only had one sim with a primary Pleasure aspiration, because I've since stopped using it as a primary and only use it as a secondary now. The last Pleasure sim I had was Constantinos, one of 4 siblings in a Greek family I made because I was a big Greece fan at the time. His siblings were Knowledge, Fortune, and Family, and all were married with at least one child, nice homes, etc. Meanwhile I remember tweeting at the time that I had absolutely no idea what to do with my sim Constantinos because he had 95% of his adult span left, was already at level 7 of the slacker career because of uni + a no friends mod, most of his rounds were spent on speed 3 because he lived alone in an apartment, he had zero desire to find love. Like he didn't even ever roll any date wants he consistently just rolled dumb wants. It was really as if he truly had no path for his life and no desire to go forward. The only reason he was level 7 is because this was before I started only following wants...If this was nowadays he'd not make it that far because I doubt he would have wanted any skills, if he had even wanted to go to uni at all.

It is sort of tempting to use it as a primary want again, because people like that do exist. I may even be one of them
Field Researcher
#16 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 11:59 PM
Pleasure aspiration alone is difficult because it doesn't get many power wants. I like it as a secondary. I don't like it as a primary, but if it gets rolled... I also don't like the LTWs. 50 1st Dates? Really? Sounds like more of a Romance want to me. I feel like they didn't work very hard on Pleasure compared to the other aspirations.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 5:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
They're just not that rewarding to play, all they wanna do is do random stuff that barely make them happy, and I'm pretty sure it's rare they roll any power wants that move their story along like having a kid or getting cheated on or whatever.

Can sims really roll a want to be cheated on, rather than a fear?

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Faith has played peek-a-boo with the babies, red hands with the toddlers, sang a thousand nursery rhymes; played red hands with the kids (not just theirs) and danced the hula and the slap dance with the teens.
Stirling would join in the dancing from time to time - but he changed the nappies, potty trained the toddlers, helped the children to study and taught them to play a great game of chess when they were teens. (He can teleport, so he can get to them really quickly )
Soon, they will be grandparents, and Faith will have fun with the grandkids while Sterling will teach them skills.

Sounds like poor Stirling is getting all the shit jobs like changing nappies while she just has fun lol.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 6:38 AM
Pleasure aspiration sims are usually very fun-loving which is great for kids though it can become a problem for that sim as they grow up into adulthood if they don't change to another apiration.They also often act without thinking of the consequences and can get themsleves into big messes and really mess up their lives which is great for a story and it spices up the mix of sims in a larger town.I don't use it in a small newly established town becase the founders would likely be hardy and hard-working sims.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Sounds like poor Stirling is getting all the shit jobs like changing nappies while she just has fun lol.

It actually depends of personality. My pleasure sim is Virgo and he did "all the shit jobs" with pleasure and fun. His wife is also pleasure but sloppy and she really only taught them nursery rhyme.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

Stirling is the sim who autonomously clean the toilets on community lots. It raises his fun - he thoroughly enjoys cleaning. As the Minister of Education, he simply sets a great example
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 7:53 AM
You can tell that I'm not a neat sim. XD
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 8:30 AM
I can't recall how many Pleasure Sims I have. Work Sims are boring, family Sims tend to also be boring to me. I like the concept of hedonistic Sims and in Gotterdammerung, most everyone is hedonistic.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
  • Go on 50 1st Dates
  • Go on 50 Dream Dates
  • Become Game Designer
  • Become Celebrity Chef

The thing that bothers me is that they are the only aspiration apart from Grilled Cheese without any career related lifetime wants that focus on the Body Skill, which creates the impression that Pleasure Sims are meant to be lazy. They aren't the most active but I wouldn't say that they are lazy. Which is why I modified the lifetime wants in my game to make the following lifetime wants roll for Pleasure Sims:

*Become Hall of Famer
*Become Rock God (doesn't focus on the Body Skill, but I've never really understood why Pleasure Sims don't have it as an available lifetime want by default)
Mad Poster
#24 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 2:21 PM
...to a number of comments above re LTW; that's why I have a mod that lets me pick ANY LTW. Those happy, goofy Pleasure sims seem like naturals for Entertainment, Gamer, etc. I don't make them study, but some things are FUN, like learning creativity and cooking. And they are perfect for LTW that involve kids and marriage ("Have 3 kids graduate college", "Golden Anniversery"). Playing with the toddlers and kids is fun, and the career-driven mom would appreciate that.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 2:33 PM
Yes @grammapat I currently have a mod in to give the extra Lifestories and uni careers as LTWs, but I'm beginning to think it might be good to have a mod for any LTW. I would miss my extra career wants. though!
Page 1 of 2