Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I use teen pregnancy (not Inteen), for my period game, because they did get married and have babies younger then.

If by "period" you mean medieval, that isn't actually true. When teenagers get pregnant and have babies there's a much higher risk of complications and death in childbirth, and people knew that just as well back then as they do now. Royalty often had children or teenagers get married for political reasons, but they did not actually consummate the marriage until they were older, to avoid the aforementioned problems. There were a few well-known cases of very young teenagers getting married and having kids, but it wasn't the norm. And people who weren't royalty didn't even get married at these young ages, because there was no reason for them to do so.
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 7:57 PM
*sigh* Well, I'm not quite sure what anyone thought this thread would turn into, in times like these...but since I'm apparently only good at either assuming good faith or being paranoid, I'll attempt the former.

If we restrict our question to the original one -- reactions to user-created content, not the game itself -- and our sample size to people who understand the restrictions of TS2, we can weed out the most unreasonable expectations. The game only allows four default skin colours plus the technically custom alien, six default eye colours, and four genetic hair colours. Most default replacement skins (with some very notable exceptions!) are pretty good at retaining the appearance of the Maxis ones while removing whatever the creator found most displeasing about them (I personally like ones that are not photoskinned or overly shiny, but also not the creepy-rubber-doll flat that Maxis human skintones get in certain lighting). The rest of the massive spectrum of human (and beyond, should one desire) colouration is easily and beautifully achievable by gen-town add-ons -- mixing sets gets some lovely results, although an apparently new problem is creators making multiple sets that override each other so that only one can be used at a time. I suspect this is because the sets are very similar -- saturation adjustments for example -- and the creators don't realize that some people like almost-but-not-quite-identical skins. Then there's the geneticized-backwards problem, which isn't yet as unacceptable as it should be! (Please, people: S1=0.1, S2=0.3, S3=0.6, S4=0.9, so build off of that!) In theory, Sims have as many genetic hair colours as humans and more genetic eye colours, but that doesn't account for individual expression due to interacting genes (such as the effect of red hair on eye colour), so it's very nice to have multiple colour families for the former and gen-town add-on eyesets for the latter (and eye overlays, if one really wants to get deep and, say, give the red-headed Capp kids more yellowish/greenish eyes than their genetically blond grandfather). Honestly, aside from some unfortunate early defaults, the photoskinned era, and the well-intentioned but ultimately messed up "eugenic/correlated skins" (see below), the TS2 community has done an amazing job at making the innovative-for-its-time but quickly lacklustre genetics really good!

What would cause fights:

Correlated skins, especially if they started out being referred to as "eugenic" skins as they were at first. To be fair, these caused fights back when they came out. The creator was accused of being a horrible person with horrible intentions -- which I highly doubt, but the name didn't help. Then people who didn't like them were accused of being horrible people with horrible intentions for not jumping on the bandwagon, especially when they pointed out that the correlated skins messed up existing schemes of gen-town skinsets. It was an ugly little "my way to play is the only good way to play!" mess, and given how much worse those are now, it wouldn't have been nice at all. BTW, I should point out that while I don't personally agree with the hair-skin use of correlation, I'm very grateful that they exist, as they were the basis for the much more versatile hair-fur correlation used for the best werewolf skin DR yet, as well as correlated mermaid scales and fairie wings (which I don't use because I prefer choosing my own, but can see a place for them -- and I love werewolves actually looking like themselves now!).

Katvip's stuff...well, not all of it, but if you know what I'm talking about, you know what I'm talking about. There's at least one post that really should have had a content/trigger warning, but that wasn't done at GoS back then -- and what would it have been, anyway? "Nazi/Holocaust imagery - boxcars"? Wasn't done at the time, and the stuff that needs those kinds of warnings isn't done now, because of the reactions it would get. The point is, that stuff is beautiful, horrible, was arranged into an amazing promo pic that set off a very strong emotional and physical reaction for me when I realized what it was depicting, and is something I am immensely thankful exists and was done so well by such a talented creator. Nowadays I'm sure Katvip would be accused of being a Nazi for making so much Nazi-related stuff, despite no evidence other than the existence of the stuff itself. Put it this way -- I don't think a Nazi would have made that "Train Station" set and then showed it off in a way that set off the reaction it did for me. Unpleasant as it was, that is a needed reaction to such imagery, and the one Katvip seems to have been aiming for. No place for it in my game, but if there's a place for it in someone else's, then it's a good thing it's well-made! It's pretty obviously mostly intended for storytelling, and if someone's going to make a Holocaust story in TS2 (if they dare now -- wasn't there some kind of Simblr drama about it even being mentioned in a story?), it should be well-made, with well-made props that aren't easily misused.

Actually, most of Katvip's stuff would be objectionable. The booze. The coffins and corpses. The weapons. The asylum of torture with dead Nazi officers (props, don't worry) in the hallways and monsters coming out of the walls. The Chernobyl stuff. I maybe shouldn't even have mentioned the existence of this...

SimWardrobe deadly weapons. Enough said.

Pretty much all of the early gender-nonconforming clothing. It was camp, especially the clothes for male bodies, and presented in an even more camp way. It kind of had to be in order to exist back then. There was also at least one notable set of lacy undies modelled by...Hitler. Which is exactly the answer to why there should even be a Sim version of Hitler! This goes for any person who might be considered unworthy of being made into a Sim...once they're uploaded, we can do all sorts of things with them... At any rate, some of the meshes are still in use with much better textures.

InTeen is iffy. I don't think people are any more freaked out now about teens getting, well, freaky, and I think they're more understanding of the barely-a-teen/barely-an-adult relationships it enables. However, InTeen can't distinguish between a Sim who just blew out their candles to turn teen and one who is about to blow out their candles to turn adult. This can be exploited by players with ulterior motives, can be stumbled upon in a distressing way by clueless players...or can get tangled up in ACR and other autonomy mods in ways that don't tell the nicest story. I've had three unsavoury young-teen/older-adult relationships pop up in my game, and they had already become physical by the time I realized what was happening -- so too late to really stop them with ACR's "friend zone" feature. Was I culpable in letting them go ahead and sharing the story? I'd say less so than in sharing other stories which involved behaviour I do not condone but deliberately provoked Sims to do. Would I be comfortable discussing it now? I don't know, and that's why I don't exactly discuss my game any more. Would Simblr call me some very nasty names if I had posted the autonomous Lucy Burb / Antonio Monty pairing there now rather than on MTS a few years ago? Oh yes. Do I feel bad about talking about it? Nope! Those things happen in reality too. They are not good, they usually have lasting consequences, and not talking about them isn't going to make them not exist.

Too many custom hoods to list. All the nitpicking potential of Maxis hoods, with the added bonus of being able to blame someone for them.

Too many ill-named things to list, many on MTS. No surprise there -- if you haven't got some kind of old online presence with a now-unfortunate name, you probably weren't online in the 2000s.

The Parchment, Paper, & Co buildings, for their very entertaining descriptions. Oh wait, someone already tried to, in a very misaimed manner! And....wait, why are they gone from MTS now?

What wouldn't raise eyebrows:

Breastfeeding, but only because it's in later games. Still weirdly controversial IRL.

Pretty much all marriage and name-change mods.

Any disease-dispelling object (SimWardrobe disinfectant sprayer, for example) that was ridiculed for making the game "too easy". I think we understand the need for that now.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 9:25 PM
Quote:
Actually, most of Katvip's stuff would be objectionable. The booze. The coffins and corpses. The weapons. The asylum of torture with dead Nazi officers (props, don't worry) in the hallways and monsters coming out of the walls. The Chernobyl stuff. I maybe shouldn't even have mentioned the existence of this...

This is more or less true-when I saw Kativip's "Memory" series, I was rather shocked that she went there. But as she explained it, she didn't do it for cheap thrills or controversy-she was trying to instill some history into the game-and while the downloads were very questionable at times, she did the idea justice because one cannot depict that era in rose covered glasses. It was brutal hellish time for millions of people and if they survived it, they thought themselves lucky beyond measure.

As for guns, not now. Never now. This was before the era of school and mass shootings and guns were not as prolific as they are now.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#54 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Freefalldreams
*sigh* Well, I'm not quite sure what anyone thought this thread would turn into, in times like these....

What does that mean? And what's wrong with how the thread turned out?

I am Error.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#55 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 10:43 PM
*sigh* Well, I'm not quite sure what anyone thought this thread would turn into, in times like these...but since I'm apparently only good at either assuming good faith or being paranoid, I'll attempt the former.

Nothing wrong with this thread.

Quote:
SimWardrobe deadly weapons. Enough said.

Enough said about what? People killed sims then, people kill sims now. They also had plenty of non-lethal weapons.

Now if you want violence, here it is in 2019 https://sims4studio.com/post/76154 Far more violent and bloody than Simwardrobe weapons.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#56 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Enough said about what? People killed sims then, people kill sims now. They also had plenty of non-lethal weapons.

Now if you want violence, here it is in 2019 https://sims4studio.com/post/76154 Far more violent and bloody than Simwardrobe weapons.

Well, I was thinking that the more modern attitude that ugly stories shouldn't exist in a world we want to make better than our own would have made trouble for SimWardrobe (and even more so for the creators of the realistic retextures) had the guns come out now. I knew about that mod, but is it considered normal for TS4? I know WickedWhims isn't; that's why there's the clean version. However, I also know there are mods expressly for blatant cannibalism, necrophilia, paedophilia, bestiality, and probably a lot more (because EA tried to shut them down, and in the process drew a lot of attention to them), and this looks like an actual "murder simulator" of the type the moral guardians of the 2000s said that Sims games were because of the pool ladders. I don't think you could effectively have a Sim shoot up a park with the SimWardrobe guns, or at least not without planning to the point that it's storyline staging. (The firebomb is another matter, given its excessive damage radius.) This looks like it's made for impulsively doing just that, And it looks like it's being promoted less discretely than Chris Hatch's mods were a few years ago!

Well, thank you for showing me that the freelance moral guardians of current times are a bit hypocritical. This makes me feel less able to be judged for my own gameplay choices (I do have most of the things I listed as fight-starters in my own game, and wouldn't give them up!) but also lessens my faith in humanity still more. I know that sounds like an overreaction, but if the TS4 community is promoting such brilliantly disturbed mods as these (I'm not being sarcastic! I find the idea fascinating!) and at the same time prepping the pitchforks for anyone who takes their game too far with what's provided (including attacks on players of other games, like TS2 -- yes, we know full well that every premade hood is problematic, and that they're meant to be!), it's indicative of weakened personal moral codes. This horrible year has created that effect on all of us to some extent, which is the answer to...

Quote: Originally posted by Kligma
What does that mean? And what's wrong with how the thread turned out?

I was convinced to post my personal lists because what had looked like a good idea at first had turned into adults making a fuss about Dr Seuss books and using said fuss to jump to strange conclusions. (BTW, if you care so much about six not-that-great books you've probably never read -- this is not "The Cat in The Hat" or "Green Eggs and Ham" we're talking about -- the cover images are widely available for making into things for our favourite game, and would look lovely in Simlish translation. Or wait until the hysteria-induced price spikes go down, support a second-hand bookseller by buying the books, quarantine them if you want, and then digitize them so they'll be ready to put on Project Gutenberg when the copyright runs out...which is coming soon for the best of the lot!) This topic is kind of meta, because people (myself included) have reacted to it very differently than we would have a few years ago. It feels like there's not really a safe place to hang out and discuss Sims stuff anymore, because like every nitch-interest grouping, we've been infected with the memetic viruses that the genetic one made us more susceptible to. Oh, and I found out what happened to the Parchment, Paper, & Co lots; apparently someone managed to irritate the creator enough that they pulled everything from MTS and are now running from Tumblr, SFS, and SimPearls. I don't know what happened to cause that, but whatever it was, we're now missing the very funny stories attached to realistic houses that were one of the things that drew me to MTS rather than other Sims-sites years ago.

On another note, I've got two more items for my list!

Wouldn't raise eyebrows:

Experimental hair textures -- because they're not experimental any more! It's surprising to remember that the twists and dreads that are sometimes slapped rather comically on random hairstyles were once innovative and a bit odd. I remember getting very excited by the twists texture because it was soooo perfect for Ophelia Nigmos, and now I look at twist-textured hairs and think, "Nope, that would take so much longer to do than Ophelia would put up with. Wait, who can afford that much hair?"

Would start fights:

The hairs that started it all -- Nouk's hairs were the some of the first that looked like real people could have them, and one was explicitly Nouk's own hair. They moved, they were low-poly, and they still look good -- and they take well to good retextures. However, because they were handpainted to compensate for being so low-poly, retexturing them is more complicated than slapping the trendy texture of the year on them. And the ones based on Nouk's own hair are...oh, the horror...smooth in the front and puffy in the back, because that's what pulled-back puffy hair does.
Forum Resident
#57 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 4:04 PM
I was convinced to post my personal lists because what had looked like a good idea at first had turned into adults making a fuss about Dr Seuss books and using said fuss to jump to strange conclusions.

Ok. I agree that tangent was odd and off-topic, but that was exactly one person mentioning it and one other correcting the misinformation. I've read every post in the thread and I think it's been an interesting, and civil, conversation overall.

I think as a kid inTeen and the baby grill were the only two I'd seen pictures of or heard about. Don't remember how I reacted to the grill but I do remember not understanding why people would want to play teen pregnancies and teen/adult relationships. I still don't have an interest in any of that and thus doesn't use the mod and I'd feel very uncomfortable about the concept of a relationship between teen and adult (if I want a teen couple to stay together as adults I just have them re-fall in love then). But I don't care if anyone else uses it and what they use it for, story purposes and all that, it's just not how I play my game. I couldn't say how reactions to that would be if it came out today as compared to years ago but I do wonder if it would've become as broadly used if it came today.

I am Error.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 6:47 PM
I am only interested in using inteen for things like miscarriages,allowing teens to become adult teens,teen couples getting married,teen/adult relationships to be maintained on one aging up before the other does and to allow relationships with wider age gaps in my towns with their small populations though no relaionship can start unless I direct it.Woohoo and TFB's are restricted to adult age sims after marriage most of the time unless they're doing it as a profession.Teen married couples and teen/adult married couples are limited in romantic actions until both of them are adult age.I've got ACR to prevent thins from happening against my wishes and outside of my control even when I can't directly control them.It's there to allow me to indirectly control things even when I don't have any control over playables on a community lot in NPC mode.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 8:06 PM
One thing that wasn't probably mentioned here but that i definitely saw when i was going through older downloads on some sites was the amount of "sexy" clothes for teen sims. Like the ones especially titled "sexy teen sim clothing" or something. That wouldn't fly today.
Instructor
#60 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 3:29 AM
I think maybe most of the mods would get made today, but I think (and hope) that they would probably be presented differently. As a long time basegame-only player I have spent a lot of time digging out old items from sites mostly forgotten by now and while I quie like many of the items the descriptions of them or the context they are put in and some of the preview pictures can really give me a bad feeling. Some items I've spent time changing catalog descriptions and pie-menus for because they made me feel icky. Could Chris Hatch have made his stuff today with all those references to saggy boobs and things? I rather think not. I hope not. But I don't mind any of the objects in themseves and I think there's a right context for nearly every item ever created for the sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#61 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 9:09 AM
Well, I was thinking that the more modern attitude that ugly stories shouldn't exist in a world we want to make better than our own would have made trouble for SimWardrobe (and even more so for the creators of the realistic retextures) had the guns come out now. I knew about that mod, but is it considered normal for TS4? I know WickedWhims isn't; that's why there's the clean version. However, I also know there are mods expressly for blatant cannibalism, necrophilia, paedophilia, bestiality, and probably a lot more (because EA tried to shut them down, and in the process drew a lot of attention to them), and this looks like an actual "murder simulator" of the type the moral guardians of the 2000s said that Sims games were because of the pool ladders. I don't think you could effectively have a Sim shoot up a park with the SimWardrobe guns, or at least not without planning to the point that it's storyline staging. (The firebomb is another matter, given its excessive damage radius.) This looks like it's made for impulsively doing just that, And it looks like it's being promoted less discretely than Chris Hatch's mods were a few years ago!

Well, thank you for showing me that the freelance moral guardians of current times are a bit hypocritical. This makes me feel less able to be judged for my own gameplay choices (I do have most of the things I listed as fight-starters in my own game, and wouldn't give them up!) but also lessens my faith in humanity still more. I know that sounds like an overreaction, but if the TS4 community is promoting such brilliantly disturbed mods as these (I'm not being sarcastic! I find the idea fascinating!) and at the same time prepping the pitchforks for anyone who takes their game too far with what's provided (including attacks on players of other games, like TS2 -- yes, we know full well that every premade hood is problematic, and that they're meant to be!), it's indicative of weakened personal moral codes. This horrible year has created that effect on all of us to some extent, which is the answer to...

I was convinced to post my personal lists because what had looked like a good idea at first had turned into adults making a fuss about Dr Seuss books and using said fuss to jump to strange conclusions. (BTW, if you care so much about six not-that-great books you've probably never read -- this is not "The Cat in The Hat" or "Green Eggs and Ham" we're talking about -- the cover images are widely available for making into things for our favourite game, and would look lovely in Simlish translation. Or wait until the hysteria-induced price spikes go down, support a second-hand bookseller by buying the books, quarantine them if you want, and then digitize them so they'll be ready to put on Project Gutenberg when the copyright runs out...which is coming soon for the best of the lot!) This topic is kind of meta, because people (myself included) have reacted to it very differently than we would have a few years ago. It feels like there's not really a safe place to hang out and discuss Sims stuff anymore, because like every nitch-interest grouping, we've been infected with the memetic viruses that the genetic one made us more susceptible to. Oh, and I found out what happened to the Parchment, Paper, & Co lots; apparently someone managed to irritate the creator enough that they pulled everything from MTS and are now running from Tumblr, SFS, and SimPearls. I don't know what happened to cause that, but whatever it was, we're now missing the very funny stories attached to realistic houses that were one of the things that drew me to MTS rather than other Sims-sites years ago.

Threads rarely dissolve into anything bad here in the sims 2 area. Most of us have been here for years and our age on average tends to be older.
I am old enough to have seen the world change into craziness, it now seems at times, although other changes have been for the better. Losing your hair over "The Cat in The Hat" would be one of those crazy things that make me roll my eyes. There are things that I don't want to see, that baby BBQ is one of them. But most things, I don't care about. If it's not my game why would I care? I am more of the mind set of you do you. But I'm an Aussie and we are chill about most things so maybe my take on the controversial stuff is different to other peoples. Myself personally being older would not react differently. I was an adult when this game came out and now I'm an older adult. I can see teens changing a lot from 2004 to 2021.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#62 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 1:46 PM
Another thing I was reminded of yesterday when playing Sims 2:

Poor Cubah Sugar has come to the end of her tether working as a waitress in every single restaurant in town, with crappy wages and countless berations when she happens to drop the food. Of course the other sims on the lot did the 'cuckoo' thing with their hand and generally gave her a wide berth, but don't worry- the shrink cured her, she's right as rain now and ready for her next fist fight with a random townie!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#63 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 2:25 PM
Cubah Sugar needs a simple skill. The raising of the middle finger. (It can, of course, be used well in a lot of circumstances).
Forum Resident
#64 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 2:41 PM
I think the body shapes are also something that wouldn't fly these days. Not so much because they're offensive but because they just succ. Like, the female fat morph I can stand because it still looks good, not what I'd consider fat mind you, but it's bearable. The male one, though, with the beerbelly I ✨dislike heavily✨

Also the fit morph is a joke too, it's the same as the slim one but with abs, boring. I know extra body types are available through CC clothes, but I feel like it's a hassle to get a lot of CC in ever category for a different body type.

Yeah it's not CC but I've seen y'all talk about game mechanics here too so I feel like this counts
Forum Resident
#65 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 2:55 PM
Agree there should been more variety in body types, or at least more variety in the three we got. In-game I can barely tell the difference between them when sims are fully clothed. The female "fat" one feels off to categorize as "fat" as well, it's a bit curvier than the slim one and that's it. Love the beerbelly.

I am Error.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#66 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Cubah Sugar needs a simple skill. The raising of the middle finger. (It can, of course, be used well in a lot of circumstances).
I don't think my sims game has that one in it, would probably be more effective than the shrink!

I don't think Sims 4 has anything like aspiration failure, does it? I'm not sure how that game deals with things going wrong for sims. But I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed or deemed acceptable now to make a game where mental health was something to point and laugh at, and glossed over in such a way. This is why I don't like my sims to be too realistic- I treat them as cartoons in a cartoon world, and I'm glad that they are better after a quick meeting with the therapist. I sometimes wish they wouldn't fight so much though, it's especially sad when I see a cat being beaten up by a wolf!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#67 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
The male one, though, with the beerbelly I ✨dislike heavily✨
I dislike it too, and "heavily" is the word. Unfortunately, as a result of lockdown I'm getting to look more and more like it! It's not beer in my case -- I'm almost teetotal. It's food -- I spend too much time in the kitchen.

I want to look like Julian, Andrew's boyfriend [Sorry -- "husband" now -- I forget!]. To me Julian is the quintessence of male beauty. But the fact that I'm some 50+ years older than Julian counts against me. And I eat too much!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I dislike it too, and "heavily" is the word. Unfortunately, as a result of lockdown I'm getting to look more and more like it! It's not beer in my case -- I'm almost teetotal. It's food -- I spend too much time in the kitchen.

You really need to spend more time playing TS2 and forget about food.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 6:04 PM
I find a lot of us need to find more time for sims if we have no shopping to do and a day with little else to do.I find time to do a little work on one of my towns to set it up if I can't play long.
Forum Resident
#70 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 11:24 PM Last edited by CrystalFlame360 : 23rd Mar 2021 at 11:39 PM.
I only play the game in the evenings if I feel like it. I have to juggle sims between Uni work and watching Supernatural with my sisters (first time watching it). As a result, I only get one or two hours in, three if I'm lucky. This is partially why I find large megahoods daunting to play.

As for mods that, supposedly, wouldn't be suitable in today's social climate... I have a Weekly Arsonist mod installed, not sure how that would be taken. Come to think of it, I think a lot of the mods I see around are normal and non-controversial, though I'm not sure about that 'baby barbeque' one that had been mentioned before... I found a video about it accidentally when I was 12 and even though I was starting my horror obsession at that point, it still deeply disturbed me. I was an extremely skittish child, which is funny when you consider that nothing horror related, maybe with the exception of killer clowns and any insects, don't even make me flinch anymore.

Back to the mod, I didn't know it's background back then, and so didn't know about it being a joke. Long tangent over... sorry.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#71 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 6:24 AM
I don't mind the body shapes, or lack of it. Fat sims need to go to the gym - it gives me an excuse to send them anyway, and see what nonsense they get up to while there. Of course, some of them just run straight into the hot tub, so it does not hep much But on the treadmill they will go.

Honestly - it is a game to me; as far removed from real life as can be. And there is this lovely option of just quitting without saving available before your sim dies of hunger or the wolf eats a cat. After all, who's in charge here?

And then there is also the option of not installing a mod, or uninstalling it, which has worked well enough for me.

As for the therapist - oh, well. Have not seen him around for a while. Sims too busy on the treadmills in the gym to get depressed, I guess.
Forum Resident
#72 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 2:26 PM
I think the body shapes are also something that wouldn't fly these days. Not so much because they're offensive but because they just succ. Like, the female fat morph I can stand because it still looks good, not what I'd consider fat mind you, but it's bearable. The male one, though, with the beerbelly I ✨dislike heavily✨

I remember as a wee child (well, a young teen...not that I'm much older now!) the fat female bodymorph used to upset me because I was the same shape as it...still am, in fact. I'm not upset over it anymore but dang it used to sting back in the day. By young teen I'm talking 13-14 ish, so...4-6 years ago?

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Alchemist
#73 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 3:19 PM

This is one of the things I wish we had from Sims 4. It has a much larger range of body shapes (as it should, since it's the latest version). I understand why EA kept it simple in 2004, though. I like the beer belly, but I wish it was one option in a range of shapes. The female fat morph resembles an hourglass shape more than anything, imo. Like, if I were making a Serena Williams Sim, I'd definitely choose the "fat" mesh, even though the real life person couldn't be any more fit.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 6:12 PM
I've got many Mods in my game or waiting to be added that would've never been considered on my old computer both because it was barely able to run the game and because I never even knew I'd end up deeding them.ACR is one perfect example because it shuts down the unwanted cheating on marriage partners unless I really want one such incident to happen for a story.Inteen is only being allowed in my game to fix the issues with couples being broken up just because one aged to adult before the other and to fix the issues of sims having to stay in their own age group in towns just starting out or early in the growth with very small populations.That's when finding partners to marry is harder because there's not many choices around and Mods are going in to fix those issues so smaller towns are to become much more playable and eventually grow into begger towns or cities.
Forum Resident
#75 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 4:08 PM
Also the fit morph is a joke too, it's the same as the slim one but with abs

Yeah the game does give the illusion of the sim getting more muscular since they run that animation when they get fit but in reality nothing about their shape actually changes, it just updates them to use the fit skin texture (if the skin even has one, at some point a lot of people made skins that had exactly one body texture per gender/age so not all skins even have the fit/fat textures).

I think the biggest controversy about bodyshapes would likely be the fact that they didn't really add much body diversity, just different (usually bigger) boob and butt sizes for girls and more muscles for boys. (To be fair there is also slim and fat family shapes on this site but I don't think they were ever too popular compared to the boobier/muscularier shapes) And I won't even touch the subject of how sexualized most clothes for the bodyshapes are, they looked fine to me when they were released but now I just feel uncomfortable looking them and I'm so glad my parents weren't interested in watching as I played Sims since all those hooker clothes would have probably gotten the game taken away from me. ^_^; Another bodyshape that wouldn't get released nowadays is definitely that... Miana? Was that what it was called? I mean the anorexic shape. That did anger a lot of people back then already though.

I also remember Emosims(?) having self-harm skintone, a skin with cutting scars on wrists. That did make a lot of people uncomfortable already back then too though so it's not like people just happily accepted it back then either.
Page 3 of 4