Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2021 at 10:20 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Some items shiny and super bright in CAS
For a few days some items in CAS have been shiny and bright for no reason, like there's a white shimmer on it. I didn't download any mods and didn't change the graphic settings.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Apr 2021 at 12:24 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 18th Apr 2021 at 1:55 PM.
Have you got a new computer? Or a new graphics card?

This is the "bright CAS" problem which is affecting quite a lot of us. It seems to be a problem that affects newer NVIDIA graphics cards (and possibly some other new cards). Have a look at the Shiny Head - Graphical Glitch? thread started by Jawusa.

In some cases (mainly hairs I think) the problem can be fixed by adding "HasTangentArray:" to the Comments section of each Blend Group in Milkshape, but this doesn't work for everything. I think we have established that the problem lies in the mesh rather than the recolour, but (AFAIK) there's not a proper fix for it yet. I'm confident that someone will fix it some day!

The good news is that it only affects CAS, where it seems to have something to do with the lighting. The affected items show properly in the game and in Body Shop.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Apr 2021 at 6:45 PM
It doesn't only affect CAS - it has some lighting issues on-lot, too. But they may be minor enough to not be too annoying for most people, especially for casual playing.

The hairs seem to flicker a bit in some light settings, as if the lights on the hair/scalp and the rest of the sim are mismatched. It's not too noticeable, but it's been bugging me for quite a while, and at the time I had no idea why. I just guessed it was a problem with the lights or something like that.

I noticed I've had the ingame light issues with two hairs in particular on my old computer (where I didn't have the CAS issue), and these were lighting up like Christmas trees in CAS on my new computer (where I have the bright CAS item issue), so at least now I know why... And I've also set about to fix them, because these hairs are for two main story characters and it's really annoying having to fix the lights or edit out those hairlines all the time... :/
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Apr 2021 at 10:41 PM
I had the same problem for a while out of nowhere, the lighting was really bright in CAS, and so I entered the cheat boolprop useshaders true and it fixed it for me, hopefully it could work for you too
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Apr 2021 at 2:02 PM
The cheat actually made it worse for me. But also I don't want to turn off bump maps! (That's what useshaders false does). I didn't have the ability to play with them for years and now I do, I don't want to give them up!

There is an old thread on here which says something to do with texture memory settings, and something to download, that TBH I could not be bothered to try, but that might help? I will see if I can find the thread and link it.
Here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=648762

A workaround is that the bright lighting is only from the front. If you rotate the sim so that they are facing the mirror, the image in the mirror looks normal. So I am currently just using that method to preview my sims' outfits.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Apr 2021 at 3:35 PM
If you get the overall bright lights in CAS, it's not quite the same issue as the single bright CAS items caused by the missing HasTangentArray line. Then you might need to update your graphic card and possibly fix graphicRules and such.

I was greeted by black striped lines all over CAS, but updating the graphic card (through the vendor, or the Nvidia GeForceExperience if you have one of the newer Nvidia cards) fixed that. Don't let Windows auto-update the graphic card in the settings, then you most likely get issues..