Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#26 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 9:04 PM
Oh, I didn't know that @topp , such a lot to learn about this game even after 17 years!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 1:26 AM
I actually have Quartile set on in my Install, in the globalProps.xml file, so that is another option.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#28 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 4:09 AM
"setQuarterTilePlacement on" definitely breaks everything after it in the cheat file. Not sure why you haven't experienced the issue, simmer22, but I definitely have, and there are plenty of conversations on MTS giving that exact advice for years, where simmers tell others to use an alias instead of using on/off. Did you maybe have the alias, and not the actual cheat? If so, yeah, that shouldn't cause any problems.

Anyway, I remember reading Topp's post and changing my startup file because of it--so that I didn't have to use an alias anymore. So I just wanted to post to say that yes, "setQuarterTilePlacement on" is definitely problematic for a lot of simmers. I've personally found "boolProp quarterTilePlacementEnabled true" to be the best way to add the quarter tile cheat to the startup file, since it keeps it always on and you only need to toggle Crtl +F.

But of course, simmers all have their own preferences; I've never edited globalProps.xml at all, for example.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#29 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 4:21 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jun 2021 at 5:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
"setQuarterTilePlacement on" definitely breaks everything after it in the cheat file. Not sure why you haven't experienced the issue, simmer22, but I definitely have, and there are plenty of conversations on MTS giving that exact advice for years, where simmers tell others to use an alias instead of using on/off. Did you maybe have the alias, and not the actual cheat? If so, yeah, that shouldn't cause any problems.

That cheat breaks the cheat file, yes. But it almost sounded like they meant the alias too would break the cheat somehow if placed further up. Maybe it's just how it was phrased.

I've always had that one as an alias because it doesn't seem to work at all otherwise. Probably for all the previously mentioned reasons.

Haven't tried the Boolprop version yet (the no alias version, just enabled cheat and ctrl+F) but hoping it'll work.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 10:14 AM
Aysarth says that it works in theirs as a cheat not an alias, without breaking things. And the userstartup I made for Bergaroth has it in, they say it works too! So maybe they could confirm for us? Otherwise I'm going to be forced to boot up Sims 2 to test, and this week I've been playing Sims 3 for a change!
Field Researcher
#31 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 3:41 PM
Yes, the boolprop cheat works for me, without an alias. The qtp aliases in that cheat file are redundant, the result of copying and pasting from one file to another! Being able to toggle the quarter tile on and off with ctrl +F without needing to enter a cheat in game is actually very convenient, I use it all the time now.
Alchemist
#32 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 11:33 PM
Agree with Aysarth.

And I see where a lot of confusion came from now; some seemed to be talking about just the cheat, while others were talking about the cheat with the alias. I guess, just to confirm, in case anyone is still confused:
Putting "setQuarterTilePlacement on" will break the cheat file, usually causing everything after it to not work.
Using an alias for "setQuarterTilePlacement on" is okay and should not cause any problems. So for example the alias from earlier in the thread:
alias "qtpon" "setQuarterTilePlacement on" "setQuarterTilePlacement on"
Yes, that'll work. So, if a simmer prefers to use an alias, they can do so and shouldn't have any problems.

But if you want quarter tile placement to be always on, without having to type in a cheat at all, then put "boolProp quarterTilePlacementEnabled true" in your cheat file instead. If you do, you only need to toggle Ctrl +F to turn it on and off. No typing or aliases required.

I hope that clears things up for everyone.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 11:43 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 7th Jun 2021 at 3:29 AM.
For anyone who wants to have quarter tile always on from the install files:

Go to your install files and either the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config (or the M&G Config folder on disk)

Find the “globalProps.xml” file and make a quick copy paste backup someplace. (Always backup when messing in install files)
Scroll to the bottom and find the line <AnyBoolean key=“quarterTilePlacementEnabled” type=“0xcba908e1”>false</AnyBoolean>
Notice the "false" Quartertile is set to off by default.
Simply change the false to true, save and you are done.
Quartertile will now always be on and you only have to toggle it with CTRL F in game.

edit: Because I can't spell worth a crap.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#34 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 11:59 PM
Ah, now I understand! Thank you @Aysarth @Phantomknight @joandsarah77 !
Page 2 of 2