Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Documents Override (Windows only)

by anadius Posted 15th Aug 2021 at 6:10 PM

38 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 25 Feedback Posts, 12 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 12:17 AM
Thank you! This is basically AnyGameStarter for TS4! Woo!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 12:20 AM
This is great! Especially because my save games and mods folder have amassed 40gb at this point. Though I have a question, how stable is this? I.e. does this break with updates, you reckon it needs to be updated often?
Thanks!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 5:00 AM
Necessity!
Test Subject
#5 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 6:39 AM
Can I still use this if my game is installed in the Program Files? It kind of seems like I can't... I'm not the best with file stuff lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iraht
This is great! Especially because my save games and mods folder have amassed 40gb at this point. Though I have a question, how stable is this? I.e. does this break with updates, you reckon it needs to be updated often?
Thanks!

It "attaches" to the game the same way ReShade does. It doesn't rely on any game-specific stuff so updates shouldn't break anything.
Quote: Originally posted by neptunelyy
Can I still use this if my game is installed in the Program Files? It kind of seems like I can't... I'm not the best with file stuff lol

You can! Just don't use the relative paths. And since editing/adding/removing files in Program Files requires administrator permissions you have two options:
  1. edit "documents.ini" before putting it in the correct place
  2. start Notepad as administrator and then open "documents.ini" in it
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 11:30 AM
Thank You!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 12:18 PM
Boy I wish this had've been available 3 months ago. I didn't realize it when I bought my computer, but I had 2 physical drives in it, and the drive that windows was installed on was a very small one. Unfortunately I found out the hard way by loading it up with Sims 4 CC and mods! I couldn't move my Sims stuff to the other bigger drive (Origin wouldn't do it) Hence, I had to go out and buy a bigger drive to put windows on. Well, it's too late for me now, but I'm glad you did it for all those others who have and will run into the same situation I had. I want to thank you anyway.
Test Subject
#9 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 1:40 PM
Sadly, this had no effect to me, as the progression of repositioning files can also be done by windows' own folder logics itself.
If you, for instance, pop up the properties of your documents folder, switch over to the Path-tab, you can simply reassign a different folder as a main base documents folder (same for music, pictures, downloads, and so on - also for appdata, roaming and such, but they will most likely break some stubborn application programming logics of general apps and even windows' login panel).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blapanda

True, it's possible to do it in Windows - right click on Documents, Properties, Location, Move. But that moves the whole Documents folder. Some people want to move just Sims related stuff. And that's only one use-case of my tool, another is having a separate "profile" - different saves, mods, etc. - without moving/renaming the folders in Documents yourself.
Test Subject
#11 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 4:44 AM
Okay, I've got no idea what I'm doing wrong. It's not recognizing that I've changed the doc path, even after following all of your steps. First of all, I have 2 drives in my computer -- an SSD (boot disk) and HDD (where my sims game is installed). Does your tool care that its not in program files? Here's what I've done: put the 4 files in D:\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin >> edited the documents.ini to show Default as D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents\ and D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents >> created the shortcut on my desktop to be -profile=Default and "-profile=Default" (because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong). I also treated D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents as the main ts4 folder, so I moved everything from ...Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 to this new folder. I wasn't sure if that's what I was supposed to do, but that part was a lil unclear from your instructions. Is my computer just being stubborn? Did I miss something? I'm sorry, I'm so confused and exhausted -- it's almost bedtime and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ilovesmypuppies
Does your tool care that its not in program files?
Nope, it doesn't care about that.
edited the documents.ini to show Default as D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents\ and D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents
Could you send a screenshot? Or just copy the contents and put it in the CODE tag?
created the shortcut on my desktop to be -profile=Default and "-profile=Default"
That's not necessary. As the name suggests, that's the default profile. If you don't specify any yourself in the shortcut - my tool uses the Default one. But it should work the way you did it too.
I also treated D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents as the main ts4 folder, so I moved everything from ...Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 to this new folder.
And that's what you did wrong. My tool overrides the path to the Documents folder, not "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4". So your saves, mods, etc. should be in "D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4". Hope that clears everything up.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#13 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 3:29 PM
I've got a new gaming laptop coming with an SSD drive and HDD. I'm really excited about that! Just to help me clarify, since I'm new to SSD's, would this tool be able to help me operate the game with The Sims 4 documents folder on the SSD, while running the game from the HDD?
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by anadius
And that's what you did wrong. My tool overrides the path to the Documents folder, not "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4". So your saves, mods, etc. should be in "D:\The Sims 4 -- Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4". Hope that clears everything up.

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your help (and tool!)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 9:27 PM
My hero!!!! Thank you! Now if you could do this for the sims 3 we can get all that junk off the main drive.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
I've got a new gaming laptop coming with an SSD drive and HDD. I'm really excited about that! Just to help me clarify, since I'm new to SSD's, would this tool be able to help me operate the game with The Sims 4 documents folder on the SSD, while running the game from the HDD?

Yes. But I'm not sure if you need my tool. Saves, mods, etc. are always in Documents. Documents are by default on C:\ drive. And usually laptops with SSD and HDD have the system installed on the SSD, so your C:\ should be the SSD. So by default your saves should be on the SSD and your game - wherever you installed it.
Quote: Originally posted by BobSmythe
My hero!!!! Thank you! Now if you could do this for the sims 3 we can get all that junk off the main drive.

Give it a try, it may work with The Sims 3 too. If not, PM me and I'll tell you what info I need (I don't have The Sims 3).
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 18th Aug 2021 at 2:07 PM
you really saved my mod life in the sims 4, congratulations on the work!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 18th Aug 2021 at 4:55 PM
This is exactly what I've been hoping for, I just recently started splitting up my saves and mods and CC into separate installations of the game, but it would be so much easier to have separate launch icons instead of having to go in and rename the files each time.

I think I'm overthinking how to edit the documents.ini file though, my game is installed through Origin, and my files are in C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts. So if I wanted to set up separate profiles for what are currently say C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.legacy and C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.nomods, what should I be adding to the documents.ini?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Aug 2021 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tehcrazycatlady
So if I wanted to set up separate profiles for what are currently say C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.legacy and C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.nomods, what should I be adding to the documents.ini?

You can't do that. This tool overwrites the path to Documents, not The Sims 4 folder. So if you add this to the "documents.ini":
Code:
[legacy]
Documents=C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.legacy

[nomods]
Documents=C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.nomods

and make shortcuts with "-profile=legacy" and "-profile=nomods" it will actually create "C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.legacy\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" and C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.nomods\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4".
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#20 Old 19th Aug 2021 at 7:35 AM
Thanks so much for this. Got my mods running from the HDD so no more grinding the SSD into an early grave. Works like a charm.

As an aside, I took my copy of Srslysims Clear Cache .Bat file (find it at https://srslysims.net/bat_clearts4cache/ ), and modified the details to clean up all the cache trash at their new location. So now it's just a quick double tap to clear the crap :-)
Test Subject
#21 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 4:28 PM
Not working for me. It is giving me an error.
ASI Loader
Unable to load documents.asi. Error:998
Help me please!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noman
ASI Loader
Unable to load documents.asi. Error:998

What Windows version? 32- or 64-bit? Which files did you download? Where did you put them? Send a screenshot.
Test Subject
#23 Old 1st Sep 2021 at 3:45 PM
Default Please Help
My game is installed here: E:\Origin Games\The Sims 4\GAME\BIN
And I want the mods, saves etc to be in: C:\Games\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

How should I edit the documents.ini file?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 1:48 PM
My tool spoofs the Documents location, so simply set the path to "C:\Games", like this:
Code:
Documents=C:\Games
Make sure to read the detailed instructions.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 3rd Sep 2021 at 7:42 AM
Can this be combined with James Turner's "Disable Packs"? This; https://jamesturner.yt/disablepacks

I tried to put his arguments on target, but it's too long. Don't really want to have to change origin settings every time...

"Whatcha doin'?"
"Probing your mind."
"Kinda roomy, innit?"
Page 1 of 2