Replies: 34 (Who?), Viewed: 1290 times.
Page 2 of 2
Mad Poster
#26 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay
But it would all be because the sims team coded it that way. If an open world is coded right, none of that stupid shit would happen. I know a lot of seemingly ignorant stuff that happens in 4 is because the team thinks it's either a) charming b) funny or c) necessary in order to break monotony. (And there's a lot of monotony.) The problem is that the team either doesn't go far enough when coding an animation or they go too far. A kid playing with a toy should not be continuously hitting herself in the head with it. And yet, when a household is visited during the daytime when children should be in school and adults should be at work (if it's within their schedule), then all children should already be in school - not late for it. Likewise for adults with jobs. You should not have to go around sending everyone out the door.

Real people keep their schedules and go to work and school on their own (unless there is a legitimate reason not to) - not have to always be told. Real people do not break into others conversations - unless invited or likewise have a legitimate reason to do so.

Yeah, the sims team does life simulation - and plays stupidly with it. It does not matter if it's in an open world, or the loading screen type world we already got. As long as the sim team continues to make their simulated people do dumb, silly and unrealistic things, it won't matter.

I understand all of this, but when I watch it all via Carl's Guide or whatever, I personally say to nobody "Yeah, no! I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for this!" If I want to see endless foolishness and shenanigans, I have the internet. If I want to see foolishness and shenanigans in real time, all I have to do is sit outside for awhile. My next door neighbor will rear his obnoxious head and fill the otherwise quiet neighborhood with noise and nonsense. It is like all fart jokes and toilet humor in TS4. People thought it was funny at first and there were way to any conversations about talking toilets, but neither have aged well. Okay, sims fart, nobody cares. Sims have been farting since TS2, there is no shock value in it if that is what Maxis is aiming for. I honestly cannot tell what Maxis' collective end goal is these days as they are constantly moving the goal posts.

When my sims do things that drive me crazy and I have the option to eliminate or somehow alter that thing that is making me crazy, I don't think twice about dealing with it. TS3 sims are obsessed with things like stereos and rocking chairs. I lost count of how many times I've wasted time shutting off a stereo or telling a sim not to sit in a rocking chair because I wanted them to do something else. Thanks to the little miracle called NRAAS Retuner, I don't have those 'battles' anymore. I knocked the fun factor down to a normal level on both the stereo and rocking chair so that if a sim wants to listen to music and chill in the rocking chair they can do so, but they're not drawn to those things like a moth to a flame.

If Maxis is adding these things to TS4 because they think it's funny, entertaining, whatever... it is to their own determent. It's their game, their way. I don't use my game as a form of escape, it's more about just wanting time to not do anything. Sitting in front of the computer when I'm stressed, anxious, ect... causes more stress, feeling anxious and whatnot. It is more productive for me to be away from the computer when I have those days, but when I am in the mood for 'nothing', I want some peace. If a fight breaks out in my game which happens often due to a mod, I'm okay with that. They fight and go on their way. They don't hug and become best of friends afterwards. If the fighting gets annoying, I make my sim (s) do other things; there is no shortage of things for them to do.
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 9:45 PM
Yeah, behavior is cute if it's like, oh, a 5% chance that we'll see it (as in Sims 2), and monotonous if we see it nearly every time (Sims 4).
Forum Resident
#28 Old 26th Aug 2021 at 10:47 PM
The thing about the "stupid stuff" in particular, what Maxis doesn't realize is that subtlety goes a long way to making things more endearing.

The goofy, over the top style of TS4 isn't even its worst trait. It's that everything feels exactly the same. Sims will always act like complete dolts when starting out with cooking and end up flipping bowls around later, regardless of traits. Every Sim talks with the same over the top, hand-wavey style. Every Sim will end up being friends with each other because default EA logic literally makes them incapable of fighting autonomously.

The smaller things sprinkled throughout the packs are inconsequential to the overall picture. TS4's biggest problem is that it has no clear vision. Emotions are not even an afterthought nowadays, they simply don't factor them in to hardly anything. So what are you left with in return? An extremely disjointed system where emotions can literally change on a whim and traits, even after the "overhaul", still lack smaller details to make Sims feel more distinct from each other.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 27th Aug 2021 at 1:33 AM
TS4 is marketed to children and teens. Most kids don't understand subtle or subtle humor. The more I think about it, I know far too many adults that don't understand subtle humor either. I've heard people complain that TS3 didn't explain things enough. They don't get things unless somebody spells everything out to them.

Imagine what TS4 would be like if it had the subtle and humor of TS1...
Forum Resident
#30 Old 27th Aug 2021 at 6:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
TS4 is marketed to children and teens. Most kids don't understand subtle or subtle humor. The more I think about it, I know far too many adults that don't understand subtle humor either. I've heard people complain that TS3 didn't explain things enough. They don't get things unless somebody spells everything out to them.

Personally I'm more interested in what The Sims 4 would be like with the creepy tone and existential dread of The Sims 1. lol
Mad Poster
#31 Old 27th Aug 2021 at 7:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat

If TS4 had the humour of TS1 I'd forgive half of its faults. Note how I say half. Some things are just not forgivable like lack of Create a Style. I just can't get over the lack of it. It baffles me. You introduce an amazing concept and then take it away.

Hoh Abba Dah No
I chase time with this dope rhyme and it's fine

Lab Assistant
#32 Old 30th Aug 2021 at 1:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarVee
If TS4 had the humour of TS1 I'd forgive half of its faults. Note how I say half. Some things are just not forgivable like lack of Create a Style. I just can't get over the lack of it. It baffles me. You introduce an amazing concept and then take it away.

I would surmise that the people that produced Create A Style were not the same people that worked on TS4 CAS. I could be wrong about it, but I'd think that if I, as a programmer, did something amazing in a previous version of a project, and it stood the test of time, that I'd do my damndest to do it again in the current version. Of course, the powers over me could say no (though it would comodulate my brain to no end as to why - I still can't understand why they continued with the bouncing camera [yeah, yeah, I know, I know, some people love it - but some people loved Create A Style, too]).

As Gargoyle Cat said, it's their game. They do what they want to do.
But then they have the nerve to say things like "We hear you!" and "Tell us what you want . . ."
But at least they continue to give us build/buy stuff - whether we want it or not.

Hear the other side. - St. Augustine
Mad Poster
#33 Old 30th Aug 2021 at 2:42 PM
When Maxis sez things like "We hear you" it doesn't mean what people think it means. They spend their time reading Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, ect... and can clearly see what people want. However, what people want and what they are willing to do are two different things.

Maxis also has a 'read the room' problem. That problem being that they either don't know how or don't care to. They find some little phrase that keeps the masses quiet for awhile, then continue to use it when said phrase is used / abused so much that nobody listens to it anymore because nothing good comes from it. i.e Sims community: We tired of object babies! Maxis: Have some Star Wars! Here's Journey to Batuu!

There is no respect here. I understand that Maxis cannot do all the things people want. TS4 is struggling enough under its own weight, but they insist on treating people that have been part of this franchise for 20 years or 20 minutes like idiots. They are so comfortable in their arrogance it leads to what has happened with the Industrial Kit. They intentionally mislead people then had to back peddle on it when the community go angry and called them out. This stuff doesn't happen by accident.

I don't get all bent when somebody decides to chew on my ear about how I don't respect gurus, EA, ect... because I don't. I don't have any ill will towards them, but if they are going to insist that I'm a blooming idiot that will choke down whatever they say with flowers and unicorn farts, it isn't going to happen. They ramped up their BS when TS4 was released, nothing has changed since then except that they've become more brazen in their bullshit. Nothing good has come from people breathlessly defending everything they ( and their minions) do...
Scholar
#34 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 8:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysmash
It gets annoying to keep track of my sims in a completely open world. Even in 4 they will run of to talk with people instead of focusing on the items on the lot they're on.

That is more about tuning though. In an open world, the house lot could still work as some kind of 'soft' border. Where the game only allows certain actions for free will outside the lot. In TS3 the world is open, but your sims don't just leave the lot to visit the park on their own for example.
Quote:
And with open world the game is gonna waste resources simulating stuff I don't care about. I like to focus on my own sims. It doesn't need to simulate the day-to-day life of every single sim in real time, that's going to get taxing for the game and give more possibility for corruption/screw ups in game.

Fair enough that you don't care about that. But in terms of performance, NRAAS mods managed to do that quite nicely. And those are mods. They showed that TS3 was just not optimized. It also has nothing to do with potential corruption of saves. Anyway, there is also the immersion side of things. Wouldn't you want to see the neighbours in your street leave and enter their house for work, going out etc? This is something I loved in TS3. And what made TS4 feel very disconnected to me in that aspect.
Quote:
Loading screens are not that bad. It isn't 2004 anymore, hardware and software has improved, and loading times in games aren't actually that long.

Well, I guess it depends on how often and how long those loading screens are. Which comes down to optimization. That works both ways ofc, Both for loading screens and simulating a larger open neighbourhood or world.
Quote:
There was just this big push from AAA publishers to make *every* game open world, I think some people forget that games can work well without it and not all games are suited for it.

Sure. But when TS3 was released that big push for open worlds wasn't there yet. But I guess it comes down to preference then. For me it is important for immersion that the neighbourhood plays like a neighbourhood. Atm, in TS4 it is just your lot and some background where they hired extras for the street to make it look more alive. In TS3 I usually ended up with mostly player made families in neighbourhoods after a while and it was nice to see them going about their business on the other side of the road. The whole marrying, moving etc was nice to see happen. [/QUOTE]
Quote:
Sorry if it sounds a bit ramble-y, I'm not always good at expressing myself.

I think I understood But I read the same what I so often read. Potential performance issues (which I understand) and lack of control over other sims. Considering how old and poorly optimized TS3 is and they still managed to create a nice story progression through mods, just imagine what would be possible now. That is how I think anyway.
To me TS4 is not a fair presentation of what is possible. This has to do with how they had to change major design half way through. Meanwhile while acting as if they always intended this outcome. They deliberately set the bar lower because of that.
EDIT: Sry for late reply, I always forget where I posted :/
Instructor
#35 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 6:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
Many Simmers posted as to what they think is lacking in 4. Why some of us think the game is too shallow, why it does not hold our attention long for many for us. Why folks like me have fired up the game only a few times in the past year.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...ack-august-19th

Do not think I saw this here before so sorry if a duplicate.

This is another way to make players speak about the game ... in the wind... :D

My story blog in French (FR) / Mon blog histoire en français : http://simsophonique.ek.la/
Page 2 of 2