Replies: 70 (Who?), Viewed: 1614 times.
Page 3 of 3
Scholar
#51 Old 14th Sep 2021 at 9:10 PM
@HugeLunatic & @Bigsimsfan12, I do not understand your problem. There are already "small house" furniture on MTS And you can always use OMSPs!

(it's just me, or there's something strange in the air with this conversation from the very beginning?)

Fox-Lambert (A)RL
hiatus 'till the life run again in the normal-abnormal way
favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
just a girl
#52 Old 14th Sep 2021 at 9:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineNualla
(it's just me, or there's something strange in the air with this conversation from the very beginning?)

It kinda all makes sense, if you consider overkill solutions. If a mod doesn't work, try reinstalling your game. If it's too much of a hastle, try buying another PC. And if you don't have space for it, may I suggest moving to a bigger place?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#53 Old 14th Sep 2021 at 10:17 PM
A little bit of advice: if you get a call and the person on the other end is asking for information you're not comfortable giving out OR wants access to your computer to fix it OR says that they're calling from your bank/IRS/Social Security/credit card company, other places like that and you didn't initiate the call? Don't talk to them, don't give them any information and hang up. There is no rule that says you HAVE to talk to them. The IRS doesn't call people out of the blue for one thing and Social Security is NOT going to suspend your SS# (that one always cracks me up) - and if you're not sure someone is really from your bank or Social Security? Ask for their name, LOOK UP THE NUMBER YOU NEED and call them back. If they're on the up and up, they'll be there for you to be put through to.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 1:51 AM
The rule of thumb for any government agency is:

They will not call you unless you call them first.

Never talk to anyone claiming they're from the IRS or Social Security without having first called them.

In fact, most state agencies and large companies will do the same.

I once had a woman who got a call from someone claiming to be from the power company here threatening to cut her power off, and I asked her point-blank, "Do you really think they're going to shut you off if you don't give them $400 in Pay Pal cards?"

She later investigated it and thanked me for preventing her from getting scammed.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Theorist
#55 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 3:42 AM
Luckily there are ways to help reduce spam nowadays. It does cost some money but there are new phones (cell phones and landlines) that can automatically block spam for you and send those robo calls straight to voicemail. There are some apps that do the same. Last year my sister got a new landline phone after ages of calling Verizon and complaining about spam calls. The response was always "we can only block a few numbers" and "put your number on the do not call list". We were already on the do not call list--we've had our landline number for 40+ years, since my parents first bought the house. Companies like Verizon totally have the technology to reduce spam calls; they just don't want to. We used to get 5-6 spam calls a day. But once we got a phone with auto screening, it's gone down to 0. It is so quiet again--the piece of mind is really lovely.

So yeah, if you're tired of the spam and scam calls, do a little research, get yourself a phone or an app that screens calls for you and pick a good email client. Some of those older ones aren't so good at filtering spam. Like, I have fond memories of using aol and aim, but they are about the worst when it comes to keeping spam out of your inbox.

And another tip is to use different emails for different purposes, especially nowadays when everything is online. So I have one email for shopping and bills, one for personal use and for hobby stuff like simming, one for work, and one for medical stuff/doctors offices and portals. This way when you get those phishing emails, you often can tell its spam because it's getting sent to the wrong email. Like scammers often send phishing emails to my old email address that I've had for years and so might have been compromised. You know those "your Netflix account has been compromised" emails or whatever. Well, I don't actually have a Netflix account under that email so then I know its spam/phishing. It's just one way I try to stay ahead; that and trying to limit who I give my information to, or limit what info I need to give out. I hate it when offices harass you for your social security number--they don't need it and insurance companies started using member ids specifically to prevent that info from being given out. Or how every single store wants your email now. Just because a business exists and is trying to sell things doesn't mean they have the right to spam my inbox with flyers or sell my email to other businesses, you know?

It's kinda of like the whole ad blocker debate. Yes websites run a business and do need to make money. That does not give them the right to spam me with ads that try to give me malware. If these businesses that want my data aren't going to protect it, or if those websites that want me to view ads aren't going to vet those ads and make sure that they are from legitimate places and are virus free, then no, they don't get my data and they don't get my ad views. I'll protect myself and say no to all of that.

So you can say no to a lot of that stuff; you don't have to just live with the spam and harassment. It can be a little daunting a first, because it requires a bit more effort and research sometimes. And again, it might even be expensive to set up screening and go ad free. But to me the piece of mind is so, so worth it, and you are worth it. Don't put up with bs.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 11:43 AM
Regarding spam calls, I believe I fall into a minority here on these forums, because there's some obvious generational gap in terms of my behavior and others'. I don't answer calls from unknown numbers usually (get them pretty rarely anyway), and I don't even have a landline. That, or it could be that spammy calls occur much more often in America?

Any spam calls that I've received were mostly in terms of hi - we have a poll - (and if you didn't hang up by then) - perfect! You won this perfume! Just tell me your address so I can send a courier straight away and you'll be paying $50 in cash or whatever once you receive the item - so then you hang up because err, the survey wasn't even about fragrances? I've never heard of anyone around here get scammed by having to pay someone in PayPal or iTunes gift cards, over here we're still unfortunately mostly about cash. But I do dream of a day when my favorite coffee house will finally get a bloody POS terminal
Mad Poster
#57 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 12:51 PM
Ugh, I always google unknown numbers, but the other day I was expecting a phone call from the oven delivery people, so when I got an obviously mobile number, I answered it, only for a robot to tell me my ISP were gonna cut me off. Blatant scam, didn't even use my name, so I blocked them. And got two more identical calls the same day. And when the oven people called, they told me that due to staff sickness, they wouldn't be able to deliver until Thursday.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 1:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamare
If a mod doesn't work, try reinstalling your game. If it's too much of a hastle, try buying another PC. And if you don't have space for it, may I suggest moving to a bigger place?
Thinking of moving to somewhere a little bigger?

Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#59 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 1:51 PM
be careful who you give your email, and phone number out too as well

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with Firefox enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Mad Poster
#60 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 1:55 PM
Oh! Sorry!
[email protected]
Tel: Pleasantview 239114

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#61 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 1:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Lyers and Phibbers
Real Estate Agents

Sim Sample said he'll take it (been dying (literally) to get out of Lacuna D for years).
Does it come with a free PC from Mr Humble for all the CC?

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Field Researcher
#62 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 2:08 PM
@Andrew Gloria A lot of people hate that house, but I get my sims to live comfortably. I guess I see it as very Mediterranean and that's why I like it. (Sometimes I do some renovation, like connecting corridors or changing the arches)
Forum Resident
#63 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 2:40 PM
Haha, my current Pleasantview Mayor lives in that house... it's a bit of a nightmare I'll admit. It's huge and takes too long to get anywhere.

As for the other topic, I've never gotten spam calls before, but that might just be because spam calls aren't that common in the UK? I mean, I've never gotten them personally, but relatives who always answered their phones only got survey calls that would seemingly last forever. And it would be a legit survey; no personal questions being asked, just basic questions like What is your preferred mode of transport?, or How do you feel about littering? Again, the first one was that boring, my folks never stayed on the phone long enough again.

Who knows, maybe there was some foul play that I never noticed, but the point is I've never personally, nor have any of my family, gotten calls demanding for home addresses, or telling them that the electric will shut off if they don't pay £500, or something. One thing that helps for me though is that I abide by this rule: if you're unfamiliar with the number, don't answer it! Granted, this lead to me not answering my dentist one time, but I hate talking on the phone in general, that's why I follow the aforementioned rule; not because I'm "clever," or "smart," (Not saying I am, hence the quotations!) but because I don't deal well with social situations, including talking over the phone I wish companies would text you, but they're busy people, so talking over the phone is easier for them...

Anyway, even though I haven't been scammed, I have encountered weird messages about viruses on some sites. However, these were fake, and how did I know these were fake?

You're (sic) iPhone has been infected with Virus 1.3.8., to fix it, click on this link now!

Keep in mind... at the time, I had a Sony Xperia M... not even remotely close to an iPhone... that and I hate Apple products

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Alchemist
#64 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 3:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topp
Regarding spam calls, I believe I fall into a minority here on these forums, because there's some obvious generational gap in terms of my behavior and others'. I don't answer calls from unknown numbers usually (get them pretty rarely anyway), and I don't even have a landline. That, or it could be that spammy calls occur much more often in America?

I'd bet that we do. I get spam calls almost evey day, and I've never made the mistake of falling for one, so it's not like they have me down as an easy mark (although I have sometimes screwed with the people from "Microsoft" if I don't have anything better to do, reasoning that if they're on the phone with me, they're not talking to someone who'll fall for their lies). These days, cell phones often let you know when a call is from a potential scammer, so that's one layer of protection, but it doesn't prevent all the calls.
Forum Resident
#65 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 4:09 PM
I live in America too. The other night I got nonstop calls for from an "Amazon care representative," which is a recent scam. I was on the phone with a friend for about a half-hour and heard the call waiting beep at least four times, all from that same Amazon care representative. I guess they really do care, a lot, but I'm still not picking up. I definitely get a lot of calls from Mr. Scam Likely, but I don't care for Mr. Likely and won't answer when he calls. Fortunately, my electronic butler informs him that I am unavailable and to please take me off his list, not that that does any good whatsoever. I keep my landline because it's bundled with my Internet and just in case my cell phone dies and I need a phone, but I never, ever answer it for any reason, because it's pretty much only telemarketing and scam calls on that number.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 4:15 PM
Spam calls? i get a ton of the "warranty' calls-and I have about 10 phone numbers listed in my directory for those alone. Problem is, they change numbers like toilet paper, and it's never the same number twice. I always save them in my directory so that when they do call, I can just ignore them. I'm on the 'no-call' list, too.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Forum Resident
#67 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 5:06 PM
Hey, maybe when you get a phone call on the Sims from someone you barely know interrupting whatever you're doing, that's their version of spam calls.
Top Secret Researcher
#68 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 5:14 PM
TS1 legit had prank calls that were sometimes very much more frightening than a mere "grr buy me a gift card or get yourself a computer virus." Imagine someone calling you and saying "Think twice before answering your door," "They're coming. Make preparations," or "The drop off has been made. You've been warned." So omnious.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 5:16 PM
If I don't expect a call and don't have the number saved, I always check the number if it's an unknown caller, and don't answer unless I know it's a safe number. Usually it's some kind of market analytics or some BS like that (I don't answer, ain't got the patience for that). Can't remember if I've had any scammers call, but not sure if they've tried. I'm not answering those market analytics, and I'm even less likely to keep the spammers entertained

I've had a few SMS scammers try twice now, but again it's unknown numbers and I check them just to be sure, plus I see right through it (a link to click and some kind of BS - they tried once with my bank login having been compromized, but I was already ten steps ahead of that one).

I always block the bad numbers after checking, and add on a little info-line so I remember what it was, especially if I wasn't entirely sure and they keep calling back. So far they've stopped calling after one or two tries, though.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 5:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topp
TS1 legit had prank calls that were sometimes very much more frightening than a mere "grr buy me a gift card or get yourself a computer virus." Imagine someone calling you and saying "Think twice before answering your door," "They're coming. Make preparations," or "The drop off has been made. You've been warned." So omnious.

There's a mod for that!
Alchemist
#71 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 5:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturlington
Hey, maybe when you get a phone call on the Sims from someone you barely know interrupting whatever you're doing, that's their version of spam calls.

They have it worse than we do. At least people don't burst into our homes to invite us to some hobby lot.
Page 3 of 3