Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 2:28 AM Last edited by Natsumi : 20th Sep 2021 at 2:58 AM.
Default How to edit hairstyle's UV map?
I recolored a hair ages ago, and I'm wondering how I'd go about adjusting the UVmap without having to remap the entire thing, as I have no clue how to do that. The hairstyle is blue, with black tips on the bottom sides, but due to the mapping of the hairstyle is also shows up on other parts at the back. Is their a way to adjust the uvmap without having to completely remap the entire thing. Every time I extract the mesh and open it in Milkshape, it's their, but it doesn't show anything under materials, so I'm not sure how to import a mesh along with the Uvmap. If so, how would I go about this?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 4:17 AM
The UVmap in Milkshape is under "Window --> Texture Coordinate Editor", and the UVs show for each group when it's selected. There's a dropdown list in the window where you can select the group you want to edit. Editing UVs in Milkshape is not that easy, and there's few tools, so at most you'll be able to do some adjustments. Hair UVs are often overlapped, so you'll need to be very precise with marking the individual layers (make sure to get both the front and back layer).

If the hair isn't animated, you could do the UV edits in Blender (and then reimport to Milkshape). It's much easier to select individual layers and do UV editing there.

(The only drawback to using Blender is that Blender can potentially screw up the alpha layering, but that's fixable in MIlkshape if the layers are separated out and correctly put together in Milkshape again - but if you only edit the UVmap, I don't think this should be a problem. It's more an issue if layers are separated/edited and put together in the "wrong" order).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The UVmap in Milkshape is under "Window --> Texture Coordinate Editor", and the UVs show for each group when it's selected. There's a dropdown list in the window where you can select the group you want to edit. Editing UVs in Milkshape is not that easy, and there's few tools, so at most you'll be able to do some adjustments. Hair UVs are often overlapped, so you'll need to be very precise with marking the individual layers (make sure to get both the front and back layer).

If the hair isn't animated, you could do the UV edits in Blender (and then reimport to Milkshape). It's much easier to select individual layers and do UV editing there.

(The only drawback to using Blender is that Blender can potentially screw up the alpha layering, but that's fixable in MIlkshape if the layers are separated out and correctly put together in Milkshape again - but if you only edit the UVmap, I don't think this should be a problem. It's more an issue if layers are separated/edited and put together in the "wrong" order).

I managed to get it to work. Thanks for the help!