Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 4:55 AM Last edited by ergbennett : 5th Oct 2021 at 4:03 AM.
Default Medieval Charter Challenge for Sims 3
This an adapted version of the Medieval Charter Challenge written for Sims 2 by Vllygrl, who has given me permission to share my rules document. You can find the original rules here: https://modthesims.info/t/441695

Overview:
The goal is to start with a small set of founding families and grow the medieval settlement into a bustling charter city.
  • You start with 7 families of varying social classes.
  • Each family will be played in rotation for the same amount of time (7 days each). Once you've played through all the families, that completes one round (or rotation or season).
  • At the end of each week, the family owes rent and taxes according to their station, paid to the Royal Treasury.
  • Once the Royal Treasury reaches certain thresholds, new lots are unlocked. For example, at $5000, you unlock the Village Green/Communal Well. At $8000, you get a Church with a cemetery.
  • After all the required lots have been unlocked and placed, we advance to the next level, which unlocks new families to add to the populace, such as Merchants and Nobles. Also unlocks new occupations.

The rules for this challenge are little involved and benefit from tracking spreadsheets. I've attached the rules document, as well as an Excel notebook, a flowchart, and the ROS adapted for Sims 3. I've also attached a simplified version of the rules that I had made into a PowerPoint presentation for my first livestream of this challenge (cuz I'm extra, lol).

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave them here!

EDIT: Missing document from .zip file has been added.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Medieval Charter Challenge for Sims 3.zip (21.44 MB, 215 downloads)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 10:15 PM
Ooh, this looks interesting! I've never managed to get my Sims 2 past setting up a Medieval Charter world (perfectionism in wanting the 'right' cc, very slow computer that I have Sims 2 on, & getting distracted generally...) A few questions...

In the marriage flowchart, you said that in an allowed same sex marriage, "The family takes station of the oldest spouse" - does that mean the newly created family, the couple that are now married, or the whole family moving up a station by means of the marriage?

Re the business perks not being in Sims 3, have you seen Sim State & Co's Open for Business Mini Expansion? I've not tried it out, but it aims to give similar perks to that of Sims 2 Open for Business.

Which I guess prompts another question, are mods that affect gameplay like that allowed?

I guess some of the answers might be in the rules, but I only got the PowerPoint, ROS & flowchart when I downloaded your zip?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Oct 2021 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyBorgia
Ooh, this looks interesting! I've never managed to get my Sims 2 past setting up a Medieval Charter world (perfectionism in wanting the 'right' cc, very slow computer that I have Sims 2 on, & getting distracted generally...) A few questions...

In the marriage flowchart, you said that in an allowed same sex marriage, "The family takes station of the oldest spouse" - does that mean the newly created family, the couple that are now married, or the whole family moving up a station by means of the marriage?

Re the business perks not being in Sims 3, have you seen Sim State & Co's Open for Business Mini Expansion? I've not tried it out, but it aims to give similar perks to that of Sims 2 Open for Business.

Which I guess prompts another question, are mods that affect gameplay like that allowed?

I guess some of the answers might be in the rules, but I only got the PowerPoint, ROS & flowchart when I downloaded your zip?

Thank you for checking it out! I, in fact, forgot to add the actual rules document to the .zip file. *facepalm* It's fixed now. Thank you for pointing that out.

As to your questions, in a same-sex marriage, it's the newly-created family that takes on the social class of the older spouse. The class of the families of origin remain the same. I realized after I worked out my system that I've effectively disabled any means for a Sim to marry upward in class (except for merchants marrying nobles in specific cases), but I'm ok with upward mobility being limited to purchasing a title or gaining one via a random occurrence scenario.

Yes, I am aware of the Sim State Open for Business mod; it's on my list of mods to try! The mod was still in development when I was working on the rules, so I didn't incorporate any of its gameplay elements. Once I've tested it out, I may update the rules to include it, if I feel that it would be a good fit for the challenge.

Speaking of mods, there's a laundry list of mods and CC in the rules that I recommend for the challenge. I see this challenge as part city building and part storytelling, so I'm open to any mod that allows me to develop the stories of the Sims in my medieval town. So I would say that my list in the rules is not all-inclusive. If there's a mod you think would fit the challenge that isn't listed, then by all means use it anyway.

Thanks again for your response!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 5th Oct 2021 at 11:50 PM
Thank you - rules are very through! A few more questions - how do you set aging? I'm guessing you stop the non-active families from aging?

Guessing Story Progression is off too, to stop the non-active families trying to have illegal marriages or getting the wrong jobs?

You said when a family Moves Up a station & moves to the new house, they can't take the contents of the household inventory -mine always do automatically, so I'm not sure how to prevent that?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyBorgia
Thank you - rules are very through! A few more questions - how do you set aging? I'm guessing you stop the non-active families from aging?

Guessing Story Progression is off too, to stop the non-active families trying to have illegal marriages or getting the wrong jobs?

You said when a family Moves Up a station & moves to the new house, they can't take the contents of the household inventory -mine always do automatically, so I'm not sure how to prevent that?

I do turn off Story Progression. For aging, I use Ani’s Mod of Randomness to disable aging for non-active Sims and to keep specific sims from progressing too far in their careers. NRAAS Story Progression might also be able to accomplish the same thing, but I don’t use that mod so I don’t know. However, I do use NRAAS Careers plus the modules to put sims into unemployed careers so the game doesn’t pull them into a career I don’t want them in.

As for moving and family inventory, the way I interpret that rule is that the family has to sell all their furniture when moving, including the contents of the family inventory, except for items that can be stored in a personal inventory. So in that case selling stuff through Buy Mode would be allowed. If that sounds a bit too hard-nosed, then you can make an exception for a couple of family heirlooms, if you want.

I hope that answers your questions! :D
Instructor
#6 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 5:02 AM
Congratulations and well done ergbennett on your wonderful Sims 3 adaptation of my Medieval Charter Challenge for Sims 2! I have been hoping for years that someone would take this on and I'm thrilled to finally see it happen with your adapted Sims 3 version! I will be checking back here often to read how it's going with Sims 3 simmers who are up for taking on the MCC for Sims 3! :lovestruc
Cheers, Vllygrl

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.