Replies: 13 (Who?), Viewed: 257 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2022 at 12:11 AM
Change Sun Halo Transparency??
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e4...iew?usp=sharing

This is an existing lighting mod in my game. As you can see the actual size of the sun is impossible to separate from the sun's halo. How can I make the sun's halo more transparent?
Advertisement
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Mar 2022 at 12:56 AM
The halo radius is determined in the skycommon.ini file (basegame/ Riverview/ custom world with unmodded sky) or S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.ini (EA worlds). So it can be modded- which lighting mod are you using?

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Mar 2022 at 1:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
The halo radius is determined in the skycommon.ini file (basegame/ Riverview/ custom world with unmodded sky) or S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.ini (EA worlds). So it can be modded- which lighting mod are you using?

I'm using this lighting mod by Mahamudo v4.0 - https://modthesims.info/d/490659/en...-6-55-gold.html
I changed the sun halo radius myself to 2000 because I like it, but it shouldn't out shine the sun itself.
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#4 Old 17th Mar 2022 at 2:06 AM
So what effect are you trying to achieve? If you increased the halo radius, you want the halo big? The sun and halo radii are two different parameters and can be changed independently. Sun colour is controlled also but in a DDS colour ramp for EA worlds. I don't have access to S3PE at the moment to look at how that mod is set up- does it contain colour ramps or just ini files in the packages?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Mar 2022 at 2:12 AM
Quote:
So what effect are you trying to achieve? If you increased the halo radius, you want the halo big? The sun and halo radii are two different parameters and can be changed independently. Sun colour is controlled also but in a DDS colour ramp for EA worlds. I don't have access to S3PE at the moment to look at how that mod is set up- does it contain colour ramps or just ini files in the packages?

Both INI and color ramps. I'm trying to make the sun halo transparent, but still visible leaving the sun more visible. I like for my sun to have rays rather than just being a ball. My sun radius is 130, which I also changed myself because I don't like the big sun. Same for the moon.

Here is an example - https://nilxis.tumblr.com/post/6432...-is-essentially
See how with this lighting mod you can see the actual size of the sun because it's more visible and the halo is still visible, but less visible than the sun? The brightness of the halo isn't as strong as the sun. If that makes sense.
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Mar 2022 at 3:35 AM
Try making the halo just slightly smaller than the sun radius. Also reduce the daytime bloom, which makes sun and halo more defined. Colour of both sun and water reflection can also make a difference to how bright the sun appears.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Mar 2022 at 11:49 PM
Quote:
Try making the halo just slightly smaller than the sun radius. Also reduce the daytime bloom, which makes sun and halo more defined. Colour of both sun and water reflection can also make a difference to how bright the sun appears.

Ok, thanks for the help. That seems pretty easy. Will come back with a picture.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Mar 2022 at 10:47 PM
Quote:

Ok, no pictures because it has the same outcome. I could be doing something wrong.
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 11:12 AM
Do you mean that nothing you changed made a difference, or something else? Some pictures of what figures you are using and what you are seeing would help. This is what I get in CAW when manipulating the sun halo- as you can see it's a blurry outline, not really rays.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Mar 2022 at 11:35 PM
Quote:
Do you mean that nothing you changed made a difference, or something else? Some pictures of what figures you are using and what you are seeing would help. This is what I get in CAW when manipulating the sun halo- as you can see it's a blurry outline, not really rays.

I forgot to mention mine show up as rays because I have Wasset's better sun from their enchanted environment mod. I separated the halo file from the sun because I only wanted the halo. I can make the sun halo bigger or smaller, but I still can't tell the actual size of the sun from the halo behind it because it looks like one big ?thing?. I like the my halo big because I like the realistic look of sun rays. I even changed the daytime bloom to 0.2 for every INI file that has it.
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2022 at 12:02 AM
You'd have to ask the creator of that mod about that I think; I have no idea what the mod does!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2022 at 1:40 AM
Quote:
You'd have to ask the creator of that mod about that I think; I have no idea what the mod does!

Ok, thanks for helping anyway
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2022 at 12:03 PM
If it's just an alpha replacement for the halo then maybe you can change the shape of that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2022 at 10:47 PM
Quote:
If it's just an alpha replacement for the halo then maybe you can change the shape of that.

It's not the shape I have a problem with, so I think it's just as you said in a previous comment - ramp colors. Yeah, I don't feel like going through that so I just got rid of the halo and learned how to be happy. I had no idea the color ramp controlled so much, but dabbling with it is time consuming and tedious. I hope my question results in other picky simmers like me resolve their issue.