Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 195 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 3:13 AM
Default How to use SharpDevelop to make script mods?
Hello, I'm absolutely new to modding and I'm a little confused on how to use SharpDevelop, I looked at this tutorial and it said to look at this tutorial to continue but i don't get it, SharpDevelop has a different skeleton code then VS so i need a bit of help to understand that part, also how do you download ILSPY? I think i did but i'm honestly not sure :/
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 4:32 AM
I can answer the ILSpy question. First, you can download ILSpy here https://apps.microsoft.com/store/de...?hl=en-gb&gl=GB. Once downloaded you can either make a shortcut or in your bottom left side of your homescreen pc there should be a search box. Simply type in ILSpy and the app should appear. Then you'll have access to countless coding methods.

As far as sharpdevelop, I have only used Visual Studios 2019 for tutorials and to make my first script mod, so I unfortunately I am unable to help you with that. Although I would strongly encourage you to use VS instead, as many of the tutorials I found and the many times that I have asked questions, many have used VS.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 12:31 PM
Quote:
SharpDevelop has a different skeleton code then VS so i need a bit of help to understand that part

Well, funnily enough, the same creator of the SharpDevelop tutorial, also made a template generator Initially what the Script Modding tutorial shows (and is most useful for IMO) are how to obtain the DLLs and Set up your project properly. Which is no longer needed with the template Generator: https://modthesims.info/d/661946/sc...30-03-2022.html

So for now on, I'd strongly recommend just using the template and then opening the cs file generated in whatever programming program you want to use (Whether it be VS, SharpDevelop, or even notepad++... don't do that though, the notepad one That's like boss battle level programming)

Initially, there isn't actually that much difference between SharpDevelop and the 2008 version of VS. Which is one of the versions that is mostly seen in these tutorials. The only real difference is that the project management part (adding/removing DLL references, class files, etc) is on the left side rather than the right Oh and I believe it's only available in Light mode... Personally, I use VS 2017 or 2019 nowadays, but that's more to do with my Unity projects and easier GitHub integration Otherwise, I'd have probably used SharpDevelop.

In the end, if you need help finding a "VS equivilant to SharpDevelop" option, SharpDevelop does come with all the options usually mentioned in said tutorial, it just happens to be in a slightly different location. So if you need any help with that, feel free to ask here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 3:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
Well, funnily enough, the same creator of the SharpDevelop tutorial, also made a template generator Initially what the Script Modding tutorial shows (and is most useful for IMO) are how to obtain the DLLs and Set up your project properly. Which is no longer needed with the template Generator: https://modthesims.info/d/661946/sc...30-03-2022.html

So for now on, I'd strongly recommend just using the template and then opening the cs file generated in whatever programming program you want to use (Whether it be VS, SharpDevelop, or even notepad++... don't do that though, the notepad one That's like boss battle level programming)

Initially, there isn't actually that much difference between SharpDevelop and the 2008 version of VS. Which is one of the versions that is mostly seen in these tutorials. The only real difference is that the project management part (adding/removing DLL references, class files, etc) is on the left side rather than the right Oh and I believe it's only available in Light mode... Personally, I use VS 2017 or 2019 nowadays, but that's more to do with my Unity projects and easier GitHub integration Otherwise, I'd have probably used SharpDevelop.

In the end, if you need help finding a "VS equivilant to SharpDevelop" option, SharpDevelop does come with all the options usually mentioned in said tutorial, it just happens to be in a slightly different location. So if you need any help with that, feel free to ask here

Thank you! I remember seeing this but honestly forgot, thank you so much! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 3:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonocoDoll
I can answer the ILSpy question. First, you can download ILSpy here https://apps.microsoft.com/store/de...?hl=en-gb&gl=GB. Once downloaded you can either make a shortcut or in your bottom left side of your homescreen pc there should be a search box. Simply type in ILSpy and the app should appear. Then you'll have access to countless coding methods.

As far as sharpdevelop, I have only used Visual Studios 2019 for tutorials and to make my first script mod, so I unfortunately I am unable to help you with that. Although I would strongly encourage you to use VS instead, as many of the tutorials I found and the many times that I have asked questions, many have used VS.

Thank you! I'll look into it and see which i'll be able to use better.
Instructor
#6 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 5:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonocoDoll

well thats kind of like saying that youd recommend using a blue pen instead of a black pen because all the reference writing is using blue :P
And beside the setup there really is not much difference between the IDE's when it comes to modding for Sims 3. Also Visual Studio has a min installment size of 800 mb while SD's requirement is 50 mb. You also have to create an account and sell your soul to Microsoft damned to constantly praise its dark mode and supposedly easier git integration when using Visual Studio.

also do yourself a favor and dont get the Microsoft Store version of ILSpy use the github link instead
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 5:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery
well thats kind of like saying that youd recommend using a blue pen instead of a black pen because all the reference writing is using blue :P
And beside the setup there really is not much difference between the IDE's when it comes to modding for Sims 3. Also Visual Studio has a min installment size of 800 mb while SD's requirement is 50 mb. You also have to create an account and sell your soul to Microsoft damned to constantly praise its dark mode and supposedly easier git integration when using Visual Studio.

also do yourself a favor and dont get the Microsoft Store version of ILSpy use the github link instead

Thanks! I couldn't download it from Microsoft anyway so this helped a bunch.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#8 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 9:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery

I think that's the biggest win of them all if you already have a not-so-great PC (meaning more, you only have one dedicated storage disk and really can't handle 1GB and up). I think mine has quickly reached 25GB on my PC. And that's merely because I had to due to other projects.

Because, to be completely honest, with VS, I don't exactly get why it has to be this huge I know it does a lot (Web development, shader development, creating C#/C++ programs, and honestly anything you can find under the horizon... it just about doesn't heat up your lasagna lol), which IMO... they should've just separated that, as in, C# and C++ related items... sure, leave that to VS Studio. But they specifically made Visual CODE for lighter-weight programming that doesn't need any compilers on the program side of things, and yet they added all those features to VS. (whether it be recent or earlier than VC)

Anyways sorry for my little rant I think I got my ILSpy off stack overflow somewhere, so it's great to see there's a GitHub version out there! May want to update mine while I'm at it.