Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2022 at 5:42 PM Last edited by hazelnutter100 : 20th Aug 2022 at 2:49 PM.
Default Problem with cloned wall
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Help. (I certainly want to yell "Help!") Please move it if it's in the wrong place.

My first piece of CC (a wall) just got approved but I think there may be a problem with it. I've been getting a small house that uses that wall ready for upload. If I save the house to the library as a package and transfer it to another game file everything works fine but if I export it as a sims3pack, I get an error message when trying to reinstall it: "Please make sure your game has the latest software updates and try again". I've tried this repeatedly from different saves but with the same result. It may not be the wall - I haven't saved that build as a sims 3 pack in ages - but the timing seems suspicious.
I ran the sims3pack through CUSTARD and got the attached xml.

20 Aug: changed the thread title now that I have slightly more idea what's going wrong.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Cottage_CUSTARD.rar (1.1 KB, 2 downloads)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 20th Aug 2022 at 2:42 PM
The problem's definitely with the wall. The cottage exports and imports absolutely fine if I use the EA wall that I based mine on.

Further info:
  • If I use S3OC to clone the EA wall and then leave it otherwise unchanged, use the cloned wall in a build and export that as a sims3pack, I get exactly the same error when trying to import it into a different game file.
  • I tried using TSRW instead to clone the wall and export it as a sims3pack. In that case, when I try to import the wall itself, the game crashes as soon as it appears in the Downloads screen.
I have no idea what to try next.

Program versions: S3OC 13-1112-2036, S3PE 14-0222-1852, TSRW 2.2.114
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 21st Aug 2022 at 9:20 AM
I'm not really in the position to test this so can you try this file? I rebuilt your wall. I noticed when I was rebuilding it, TSRW yelled at me about an uncompressed DDS file, specifically your multiplier. I ended up resaving the texture with my usual DDS settings and it imported into the project just fine. If that ends up being the issue (I've never come across this before, honestly), then you can just take my compressed version of your multiplier and use it to overwrite the one in your package file.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  dado_rebuild.zip (45.7 KB, 1 downloads)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Aug 2022 at 11:50 AM Last edited by hazelnutter100 : 21st Aug 2022 at 12:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by aarin
I'm not really in the position to test this so can you try this file? I rebuilt your wall. I noticed when I was rebuilding it, TSRW yelled at me about an uncompressed DDS file, specifically your multiplier. I ended up resaving the texture with my usual DDS settings and it imported into the project just fine. If that ends up being the issue (I've never come across this before, honestly), then you can just take my compressed version of your multiplier and use it to overwrite the one in your package file.

Nope, yours doesn't work either Thanks for going to the effort of making it, though. It's reassuring that it's not just me.

I knew about the uncompressed multiplier: I was told that this was OK and a way of getting a better-looking wall. One of the first things I tried was using a compressed version instead but found it made no difference.

I'm now pretty sure it's an issue with the original EA Wall_Dado_Mercantile_Tall. I probably didn't make it clear enough in my last post but just making a clone of that wall and not changing anything also produces the same error. I was beginning to think it was something wrong with my game, or my computer, but I did successfully clone the flat wall and use that in a game. So the current plan is to find a wall that behaves itself and rebuild mine based on that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2022 at 7:02 PM
I've now uploaded a second version, based on one of the barn walls rather than the tall boarded dado. It does export and import without triggering error messages but it seems slow to do so. There's also only one preset: if I try to add more, in TSRW or Texture Tweaker, we're right back into error message country.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Aug 2022 at 1:28 PM Last edited by hazelnutter100 : 28th Aug 2022 at 1:47 PM.
Well, it turns out that it really isn't just me. I downloaded a few CC walls by other people, to study how they did things, and those walls won't export and import with a house either. Time to stop felling guilty, I think :p