Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 3rd Feb 2007 at 8:58 AM Last edited by pixelhate : 3rd Feb 2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: English...
Ok, I've tried to animate a recolor of the Qortex's big poster (not animated) http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=45647
(really want some animated walls !) by following the cell recolor guide, I could animate it but the texture is not showing, only numbers. Any tips ?

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 3rd Feb 2007 at 4:34 PM Last edited by niol : 4th Feb 2007 at 5:55 AM.
I'd faced the same problem and similar ones, too.
Still trying to figure out how to break that stupid limit! :D

But, you can use Numenor's WW for that purpose... The only thing is that the wall will let the light pass thru...
If Nu feels up to make light-impassable set by means repository method. I'm pretty sure curved walls are more realistic because of no passable lighting.

The caustic animation for pool tiles and wallpapers are actually caustic animation and is produced by the pool shader that it blends with the wallpaper and tile textures for the in-game presentation.

Added after the following post:
Oh no, NuTerminator is erasing my database in my brain.... Help! is what I neeeed...
The ModFather
retired moderator
#28 Old 4th Feb 2007 at 1:07 AM
I tried a quick animated recolour for the 3-tile poster, and it works: see animated GIF attached. (Niol, do you recognize that texture? )
Of course it was a quick recolour: the "frame" part of the texture should be identical in all the frames, so not to make it change during the animations.

I'm attaching also the recolour package, in case someone wants to take a look, or just re-use it as an animated recolour for the 3-tile poster (after changing the texture, of course! :D)

But, Pixelhate, you say you see "numbers" instead of the texture; this might just mean that the texture is corrupted, or uses an unrecognisable format (use the DXT1 format), or its dimensions are not powers of 2.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  _TEST-DELETE2.rar (229.6 KB, 27 downloads) - View custom content

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 3:36 AM
Default JWOODS My animation didnt work.=(
Hey JW I tried your tutorial to make an animated carpet but when i went 2 look at it, there was just a white tile and red and blue markings on it. Can u PLZ help me out???

Blue alien back on track.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#30 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 9:51 AM
I'm afraid JWoods won't post any more at MTS2 (he has more important things to do than playing or modding the sims ).

The white tile with red crosses and black text means that the Texture is broken or can't be found.
First off, do a Fix Integrity; then check if the name of the TXTR is exactly identical to the one referenced in the Material Definition: check both the "Properties" and the "File List" tabs of the Material Definition, and be sure that there is the exact texture name, with the ##0x1c050000! prefix.
If everything is OK, then you might have included in the package a texture with the wrong size: remember that the width and height of the texture must be powers of 2 (16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024...).

If everything fails, please post your faulty package here (click "Go Advanced" and then "Manage Attachments" to upload), and I will take a look.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 8th Aug 2007 at 1:36 AM
Yeah umm Numenor...

THAT DOESENT FIX MY PROBLEM!!!

sry fer screamin

Blue alien back on track.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#32 Old 8th Aug 2007 at 5:24 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 8th Aug 2007 at 5:45 AM.
WHAT exactly doesn't fix your problem? I saw several suggestions.

Astaroth, you need to work a LOT harder around here if you want help.
This isn't kindergarten, where if you cry or scream maybe someone is going to give you what you want.

1) if a tutorial didn't work for you, you need to start over again totally fresh and try it again, read carefully and try step by step

2) if someone lists a handful of things for you to check about your non-working object, then you need to write back to them about exactly what you checked, and what you see, what numbers are, etc.

I am not even sure if you understood what to check from Numenor's post. At any rate, your response above and your other two posts asking for some1 to instruct you to do something complicated are pretty rude.

You want to know how to make a fountain - start by trying to modify one. Make some sort of obvious change, load it into your game, and see what happens. Then if you have an actual question, you explain exactly what you started with, exactly step by step what you did, what happened and what you are trying to do.

I know you have created a few basic objects. There is a tutorial for modify a wardrobe (that is a kind of animated object). There might be other tutorials. But you must make the leap and effort yourself, unless you are looking to hire a private tutor.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Mad Poster
#33 Old 8th Aug 2007 at 6:44 AM
Astaroth600,

Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
If everything fails, please post your faulty package here (click "Go Advanced" and then "Manage Attachments" to upload), and I will take a look.

The tutorial must be working.
The paintings of this set
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=94076
a painting of this set
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=172481
Instructor
#34 Old 21st Apr 2008 at 7:01 PM
Thanks a lot for this great tutorial and all your help! I've made a first vtry nd it worked.

Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Any texture can be animated. The only requirements are a TXMT with the animation enabled (use the parameters shown in step 11 as a starting point, and read the hints in step 12), and a textures divided in frames.

That's cool but how do you do objects that aren't animated everywhere if theres only one texture map.
Many objects havent more than one and how is it then possible to make e.g. an animated painting with a non-animated frame?

Thanks in advance for all replies!
jon119
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#35 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 9:50 AM
jon, you'd want to put those two parts into different subsets so that they can use different textures. There's a bit of information about that here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103379
Instructor
#36 Old 13th May 2009 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
jon, you'd want to put those two parts into different subsets so that they can use different textures. There's a bit of information about that here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103379

So far, I'm just studying this tutorial, and have not done an object using it yet.

But what I am wondering, as to what Echo has stated, would it not be possible to still animate using one texture, for fairly simple objects, if they are mapped in such a way that you could animate one portion while leaving the not-to-be animated portion unchanged throughout all 16 frames?

For instance say its a poster or painting with a very simple frame, the painting portion is mapped in a certain area, the frame in its own area. If one changed only the painting portion in each animation cell, and left the frame portion identical each time...

Would that work?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#37 Old 13th May 2009 at 10:31 AM
Yes, that works. It's not an ideal solution though. Since so much of the texture gets repeated each time, a huge portion of the UV map is essentially wasted. It makes for very large packages with low detail.
Instructor
#38 Old 13th May 2009 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Yes, that works. It's not an ideal solution though. Since so much of the texture gets repeated each time, a huge portion of the UV map is essentially wasted. It makes for very large packages with low detail.

Aaaah, ok, gotcha. Great explanation!
Page 2 of 2