Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 9:10 PM Last edited by Numenor : 14th Aug 2005 at 11:56 AM.
Default Prevent a barbecue starting a fire when used indoor?
ok,
please excuse me if I'm going at this completely the wrong way,
but, there used to be an init to make something fireproof. I'm assuming that doesn't work anymore.
So, how do I go about making something fireproof now?
Maxis made it so all barbeques catch fire when used indoors. Every. Single. Time.
And so I have a spontaneously combusting hearth, and it's starting to annoy me...
I checked the very helpful 'Object Functions' thread. But can't find a way to do this.
Is it even possible?
Just deleting the behaviour function that says 'Start fire' doesn't have the desired effect...
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 11:28 PM Last edited by Numenor : 14th Aug 2005 at 11:57 AM.
Lethe, I've not personally tested this, but it should work.

Add a line to the init BHAV as explained here, set the Function to 0x0002 and set the operands (using the wizard) as follows:

My 0x0028 Clear Flag 0x0006

(that should mean: the object doesn't burn).

Let me know if it works.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 10:21 AM Last edited by Lethe_s : 14th Aug 2005 at 10:23 AM.
Numenor,
either I did something wrong, or that didn't work.
So far, I've tried two different things.
I tried your method.

But the fire still starts once you put the hotdogs on the grill inside. And when I start a fire right next to it, it burns along with everything else.

Then, I imported the semiglobal that says 'Start fire when inside', and changed the final line (which I thought started the whole fire tree) to something harmless like 'poke and turn'.

That had the same result. Fire still starts as soon as you cook. And the thing burns when fire comes near it (but that was expected).
So maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I'll have to mess with the lines earlier in the tree.

Edit: hmm, looking at the screenies here, I think I made a mistake in your method. There's no link to the final line. Oops! Be right back
Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 10:35 AM
It could be line 3 as the fire is an object. Try and delete all the lines from 1 to 6 and change 0 to No-Op with true and false targeting return true.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:03 AM
Editing the Init BHAVs is easier, because the edited BHAV is executed every time the object is placed on the lot. But a "nested" BHAV like the "Start fire when inside" is more difficult, because it is executed only if called within other BHAVs...

Anyway, in the first picture you have posted, there's an error: the last line is never executed, because it isn't linked to the second last line.
Select line 1 and edit the "True Target" field, filling in "0x0002".
This way, line 2 is executed just after line 1.

I think that this may solve your problem.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:09 AM
ok,
the Proper application of Numenor's method has better results
what that seems to do, is fireproof an object from outside fire.
if I start a fire right next to it, it doesn't spread to the hearth, but rather to everything else
spontaneous combustion when cooking is still an issue though, it doesn't stop fire 'from the inside'

Fat D, I'll try that. I wish I knew what I was doing
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:10 AM
Lethe_s, this is a little off-topic, sorry, but which version of SimPE are you using? I thought the latest version gives you the new PJSE BHAV plugin by default, yet your screenshots show Quaxi's old one. Did you choose to change back to it?
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:18 AM
Inge, I wouldn't know how to change that if I wanted to SimPE is plain old 0.44

Fat D, where do I find this 'No Op'?
Best I could find was 'sleep' that's all zeros
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:23 AM
Thanks Lethe_s, I'll let Quaxi know the change isn't being fully implemented.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:36 AM Last edited by Numenor : 14th Aug 2005 at 11:58 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
ok,
the Proper application of Numenor's method has better results
what that seems to do, is fireproof an object from outside fire.
if I start a fire right next to it, it doesn't spread to the hearth, but rather to everything else
spontaneous combustion when cooking is still an issue though, it doesn't stop fire 'from the inside'

Now I understand better what the problem is, and I agree that changing a single object property in the Init BHAV is not enough. A deeper BHAV modding is needed.

(Question moved to General Modding)

Forum Resident
#11 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:37 AM
no-op is OpCode 0x02F3
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 1:05 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 14th Aug 2005 at 1:08 PM.
ok,
here are my latest attempts,
I tried your suggestion, Fat D

and fiddled with the whole 'Is it inside' question

with zero result. My poor tester sim has had fifteen fires in one day.
It looks like whatever I'm doing to the imported semiglobal, isn't overriding the 'cached' semiglobals
Forum Resident
#13 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 1:32 PM
can you attatch the '.package' file?
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 2:56 PM
sure,
this is the one I tried the 'No op' on
Attached files:
File Type: rar  lethes-mesh-medibbq.rar (197.6 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Forum Resident
#15 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 3:52 PM
you were unsuccessful with changing the last bits to false? then I can't help you, even with the package. sorry.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 4:09 PM
damn
I suppose the alternative is to make a hack for all barbeques in the game?
maybe if I switch the group number back to the original
hmmm, better give it a try