Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

ijVelux - 3-bedroom home with roof windows (Uni EP)

by Inge Jones Posted 12th Sep 2005 at 9:45 PM - Updated 13th Sep 2005 at 11:20 PM by Inge Jones

23 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 22 Feedback Posts
Forum Resident
#2 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 12:55 AM
This looks great!! We need smaller homes for those with slower computers, thankyou.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 2:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rubytuesday
This looks great!! We need smaller homes for those with slower computers, thankyou.

Great work on the house, Inge.

But Ruby, I thought that the larger the lot the slower it went, not the size of the house?

あなたはすてきですよ。あいしてる
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 2:31 AM
did you do that with constrainelevation? It looks awesome.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 2:34 AM
Doesnt matter the size of the lot, depends on the items on the lot that slow it down.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rubytuesday
Doesnt matter the size of the lot, depends on the items on the lot that slow it down.

I didn't know that. I've always been trying to download houses that are 2x3 or 3x2 lots... Thanks a lot for telling me

あなたはすてきですよ。あいしてる
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 4:38 AM
lovely house inge, thankyou :D

i have to work out how you do that thing with the roof windows...
Instructor
#8 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 5:08 AM
You read my mind! This is PRECISELY the type of house I was looking for, for some sims I want to put in my game! Thank you - you saved me having to build it for them!

netseeker2
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 7:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kremesch73
did you do that with constrainelevation? It looks awesome.

Yes, and the permanent wall cheat from Mike Inside's hack tutorials. It took me all day to get the heights exactly right, I had to keep scrapping it and starting again. One moment I had a flat bit one end, and the next moment it would suddenly sprout an extra level... In the end it turned out I needed a bit of flat ground one end, but had to ensure I made a temporary slope the other end. For some reason.

Don't look too closely at the roof - that floor can *just about* get away with being unusual roof tiles.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 11:25 AM
Wow, it's cool...

But, >£26k is kinda expensive...

TYs... : )
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 11:28 AM
I'm not sure why it turned out so expensive to tell you the truth. Maybe it was the modern joinery. Or perhaps I put it on a bigger lot than necessary. But it was the sort of house Brits are having specially commissioned in the countryside, and I felt that it should have the garden edges treed up after the family are settled and get some money.

Or maybe the game detects when you use a cheat and you have to pay "cheat tax"
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 11:33 AM
Or maybe... it was sabotaged by aliens from mars? just an idea.
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 11:47 AM
Shall I see if I can make it on a 3x2 lot so it might be cheaper?

Edit: Actually any excuse to delay my cleaning chores...
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 12:41 PM
Well I still couldn't get it down below 21,500, with the cheapest furniture and smallest lot, so there is no way it's going to be a starter home. It is 3 bedroom, so you wouldn't expect your Sims to need it until they have at least one child anyway. I don't think it's worth uploading an alternative just for that difference.

I could try making a starter home on the same principles but smaller and with fewer rooms?
Scholar
#15 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 5:18 PM
been playing with this most of the afternoon as i'm testing a couple of things out.
it plays really well, and is going to be one of my favourites i reckon.
i'm not sure how you could make a smaller version though as i have only one sim in it and find there is ample room for her and maybe one other, but it might get cramped with more. although i tend to get round that sort of thing by building summerhouse type things for office, creative and work out stuff if i want them
my guess is the roof might be the biggest constraining thing as i would think you need the larger lot to achieve the velux style windows, and the beauty of this house is the roof, and the pitch may not be right...but that will be able to be changed with nightlife allegedly
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 5:20 PM
There is now a starter home version of this awaiting approval. I made it smaller all over, on a smaller lot, but to the same proportions. The galleried landing has become an open-plan bed platform. So it's suitable for up to 2 sims only, and is under £20,000
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 5:34 PM Last edited by Inge Jones : 13th Sep 2005 at 5:38 PM.
Anelca, how I will use it in my game is that I will use that downstairs front bedroom as a TV lounge - there is just room for a couple of sofa and chair and TV. Then I would put two children to sleep in the back bedroom. They could use bunk beds, but I think two normal beds would fit too. They can play and do their homework in the kitchen/family room. A computer desk can fit onto the gallery if you turn it the way round so the chair doesn't block the passage, and a chess table can be placed overlooking the room below.

Don't forget the roof is not a roof! It's a floor as part of the cheat to get the glass bits in

Edit: Oh yes and I forgot to say that although I moved out my custom content before making the house, I usually play with one or two hacks that stop Sims making a fuss if they can't get past someone immediately, so they seem to be able to make do with much smaller spaces than they would do in the original game.
Scholar
#18 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 11:00 PM Last edited by anelca : 14th Sep 2005 at 12:06 AM.
oh yeah silly me, forgot about the roof being a floor. i am somewhat tired as i've not had much sleep waiting for my daughter to tell me she had arrived safely in florida :D

i have used the front bedroom as an office and the back as a dressing room. i have got so many hacks its ridiculous, so i probably wouldn't have much trouble either with them wandering about. this house looks so cool with all my modern custom content in. i love it to bits

i love building stuff, satisfies my yearn to afford to go on Grand Designs or property ladder :D
but i am still a novice
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 12:46 AM
This is an amazing house and I love the roof windows, many thanks for sharing it

Wendy

Life is not a dress rehearsal
Test Subject
#20 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 11:59 AM
Wow I like it. It's a good thing that you guys (and girls) are so creative because when I build something its always more of the same. Looks like I'm not creative at all. I just love the houses here. Downloading now.
Test Subject
#21 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 2:14 PM
this house is fantastic!!! very well!! i'm downloading now!!
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 9:28 PM
I'm now in the process of making a HUGE family home version with a bedroom and play area in the attic. Unfortunately it has a little gap above the patio doors, but by the time I noticed it was too late to manipulate the walls any more. Oh well, it doesn't show much. Blame the carpenter.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#23 Old 15th Sep 2005 at 8:38 AM
Hey! windows in the roof! Cool!

"Tell me," said Magrat, "you said your mummy knows about the big bad wolf in the woods, didn't you?"
"That's right."
"But nonetheless she sent you out by yourself to take those goodies to your granny?"

Check out my Padme skins!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 21st Sep 2005 at 8:50 PM
That is awesome and there was enough room for a driveway also.