Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 11:18 PM
Default Layered top has holes when morphed
Disclaimer: this is just an exercise for learning purposes. I’m trying to teach myself how to work with CAS items. I’m quite knowledgeable on Photoshop, rather comfortable with Mesh Toolkit, S3PE and TSRW, a complete N00B with Milkshape, and an absolute ignorant on Blender. Also: English is not my first language.

Some time ago I downloaded this top.

This week I was going through my CC, and I noticed that some holes were showing on the jacket (not the whole mesh) when zooming out. (Image).

Then, I tested it with a bigger (fat) morph, and the holes were visible from up close (Image)..

I took the geom for LOD1, and re-assigned bones and morphs, and assembled the item anew in TSRW, but the problem persisted.

I also took the mesh into Milkshape and moved the vertices from the chest area outwards, to see if it did something and, of course, it did nothing: the holes on the top layer are still there.

This is a one group mesh, with no visible issues in the multiplier or the mask.

What could be causing this? How would you fix this?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 10:11 PM
What is poking through the jacket are a few vertices from the shirt. I took a look at all the morphs, and you need to manually push those few vertices back on whichever morph is affected — in this case, the fat morph.
I also saw some problems with normals around the neck on the fat morph, probably from the top used as a reference to create those morphs (some EA tops have that issue on the fat morph).
And there are more problems with all the morphs, as all of them are misshapen in some way (vertices going in all sorts of directions, which would be a pain if you wanted to apply a pattern to this outfit).

The creator also did a bit of a weird thing with the skin, in that she copy/pasted the bit of body visible at the neck and chest without connecting that slice with the rest of the outfit, so it's kind of just floating there. I suspect she did it so she wouldn't have to struggle with the UV mapping (since this was top was cut from an outfit, the textures and UV mapping need to be adjusted so that the top doesn't overlap the UV map area reserved for bottoms). I don't see any problems with textures bleeding, so it's more of an observation.

If you give me 1-2 days, I can fix everything up and put the fixed version here, as well as the project files so you can see what I did.

ETA: to take a look at this package and get the morphs as meshes, I imported the .package into TSRW as a new project, then exported LOD1 (which came with all the morphs too).

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 8:03 PM
Wow! this was a great catch on your part.

I never thought of checking that. Since this is an "internal" conversion, from TS3 to TS3, it didn't occur to me that the creator had the need to touch up the mesh at all. Specially all the way up there.

I honestly thought she had just chopped up the mesh, re-done the texture and UV mapping, and re-packed everything.

In my opinion, when it comes to clothing, tops are the absolute worst! They are difficult from every aspect: the armpits, the waist seam and how it affects the morphs, the breasts....

I much prefer "body" projects so far. They are much more forgiving with beginner's inexperience.