Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2023 at 3:49 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Assigning an employee to work at a crafting bench causes Super Collection to crash even in completely vanilla game
So, as stated in the title, any time I've tried to get a sim to assign an employee to ANY crafting bench, the game immediately crashes. I run a heavily modded game so I always assumed it was some sort of conflict or bug and just worked around it rather than deal with sorting it out.

But today I finally got annoyed enough by this limitation to test it.

I did the usual routine: Removed likely suspects, then removed all CC, then removed all User Data. Problem persisted.

Finally uninstalled and reinstalled the app entirely and tried running a completely fresh game. Loaded up the Delarosa household, hired an employee, asked them to make a daisy bouquet.

The game crashed immediately.

I've submitted a ticket to Aspyr. I guess my question is:

Does Aspyr even respond to tickets for this game in 2023?

How is it that I can turn up literally nothing about this problem in 2023, seeing as this isn't exactly an unusual action to perform in game?

Seriously, has anyone else seen this? I feel like I'm on crazy pills that no one is talking about this.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Dec 2023 at 9:44 PM
Honestly if I were you, I would get a window partition and get the Ultimate Collection.I know nothing about Mac's so I can't help with it. There are a handful here who do play on Mac's, maybe they will have a clue.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Jan 2024 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by slhancox
I've submitted a ticket to Aspyr. I guess my question is:

Does Aspyr even respond to tickets for this game in 2023?

The Sims 2 is officially abandonware. It is no longer supported by any company.

Unfortunately, I don't have any potential answers as to what's going on in your game. Even with a clean re-install, it's possible there's some sort of remnants lingering around somewhere deep in your computer files that's causing the issue, OR it's an issue that would occur no matter what. For some extra-thorough troubleshooting, you might try installing the game on a separate user account on the same computer, or even a completely different computer, but I know that's a lot of trouble to go to. Maybe this is specific to your computer, or maybe it's an issue across the Super Collection that nobody else has noticed or reported for some reason. Sadly, there's not as much established knowledge about the Mac version of the game, except that it's even more prone to strange and unexpected problems than the Windows version. I wish I could help but honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin in that regard...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2024 at 8:04 AM
The Mac version isn't abandonware, Aspyr are still selling it. As for whether not you will get a response to the ticket, you might, but even if you do it might not be for a long time. And if you do get a response, there's no guarantee that they will actually fix the problem, as I suspect they don't have many people working on maintaining the game. Probably the reason why there isn't an information on this is because a) most people don't actually use employees to make craftable items, and instead have their playable sims or their family members do it, and b) most people don't play on Mac anymore because the Windows version is free and contains a lot more content than the Mac version. So your choice is to wait for Aspyr to possibly respond and maybe do something about this, or just install Parallels and run the Windows version. Running the Windows version also comes with the benefit that you won't run into the open file limit, and you won't constantly encounter mods that don't work for you because you don't have FT and/or AL. Yes, people should make compatible versions of mods for Mac players, but they often don't.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2024 at 9:01 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Jan 2024 at 9:18 AM.
Could be a bug IN the completely vanilla Super Collection game.

There are some bugs in the Mac game that don't seem to exist in the Windows version, and a few that rarely will happen outside of spesific conditions (for instance, something similar to the file limit issues can happen with OneDrive or other auto backup programs with limits).

Perhaps someone with the SC can check if this bug happens in their game, too?

If you'd been using default replacements or CC clothes, there's a known but somewhat rare bug (if clothes are made with the wrong files) that can cause crashing when applying for a job, or doing certain other job-related things. However, the crashing would've stopped without any CC present. (Happens in windows version, too).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2024 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
So your choice is to wait for Aspyr to possibly respond and maybe do something about this, or just install Parallels and run the Windows version. Running the Windows version also comes with the benefit that you won't run into the open file limit, and you won't constantly encounter mods that don't work for you because you don't have FT and/or AL. Yes, people should make compatible versions of mods for Mac players, but they often don't.

Yeah, I constantly toy with the idea of running Parallels, but I just don't need it for anything else at this time, so can't justify the price. May spring for a cheapish Window's based gaming computer in the future for the family, but that will mean re-downloading all my mods and starting over so probably not until the next time my game explodes into a ball of fire.
Funny you mention the open file limit... I just had to restart my game after encountering it for the first time last fall.
I was able to implement a semi-permanent file limit increase in Terminal.

PS: thanks for being one of the modders who does remember us Mac users.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2024 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Acrylonitrile
The Sims 2 is officially abandonware. It is no longer supported by any company.

Thing is, like Kestrellyn said it isn't abandonware for Macs, it's still sold by Aspyr. But I'll be shocked if they address it.

Quote: Originally posted by Acrylonitrile
For some extra-thorough troubleshooting, you might try installing the game on a separate user account on the same computer, or even a completely different computer, but I know that's a lot of trouble to go to. Maybe this is specific to your computer, or maybe it's an issue across the Super Collection that nobody else has noticed or reported for some reason.

This is helpful to consider. I may try some of these ideas just to more fully rule out some sort of issue on my end.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2024 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by slhancox
Yeah, I constantly toy with the idea of running Parallels, but I just don't need it for anything else at this time, so can't justify the price. May spring for a cheapish Window's based gaming computer in the future for the family, but that will mean re-downloading all my mods and starting over so probably not until the next time my game explodes into a ball of fire.
Funny you mention the open file limit... I just had to restart my game after encountering it for the first time last fall.
I was able to implement a semi-permanent file limit increase in Terminal.

PS: thanks for being one of the modders who does remember us Mac users.

If you do decide to buy a Windows box, you don't have to start your game over from scratch, you should be able to move your game from your Mac to the PC. I don't think the folder structure for the user data is different on Mac, I'm not sure because I've never played on a Mac, and the file format is the same regardless of OS, so the files from your Mac should also work on the PC if you can figure out where to put them. The only thing you'd need to redownload would be mods that have different versions for UC/M&G than for Super Collection. I'd imagine you'd have to do that stuff with Parallels, anyway.