Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2023 at 4:59 PM Last edited by Temperazia : 19th Jul 2023 at 5:52 PM. Reason: Better explanations
Is there a way to mod a whole new pet species in Sims 4?
Hello

I am new to this! I am searching for key words in order to find what I am searching for. Is there any resources that explain how to create a new pet species from scratch? I mean, in sims 4 there is Cats, Dogs, Foxes and Raccoon. What about adding a little monster pet that doesn't bark or doesn't say meow? Do you know anything about it? Or any vocabulary for me in order to search the project I want to do? I know there is alot to do, such as modelling, rigging, make the animations, programming, etc. I got already some general knowledge about it, but I don't know anything about how to implement it in Sims 4. Where do I begin?

Thank you so much for your time!

Temperazia
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Jul 2023 at 12:09 AM
Foxes and raccoons are technically just dogs and cats with unique voices- they can even be made in CAS.
But that's a potential lead- to add or a replace a voice type. Or finding a way to mute a pet with a buff. That way, the body could be made as an outfit. Kind of like the way they implemented the Star Wars aliens.

The main limitation of life stage modding are the UI changes and the amount of scripting- and potentially the requirement to overwrite core resources.
The other thing that would be worth looking into are custom occult mods. Mermaid overhauls, fairy mods, vampire witches, the spellcaster mods from before RoM- as well as the in-beta versions of such projects that pop up in the forums from time to time. Each implement their content in different ways, some rather backdoor-ed in and some try to mimic EA integration. You might find some inspiration for how they do that when it comes to creating your own lifestate.

There are also the animals from Cottage Living, for something a little more simplified. Much easier to replace all the parts of an interactive object like that than inject a whole new type of sim into the game. Little monster chickens sounds quite cute
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2023 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Foxes and raccoons are technically just dogs and cats with unique voices- they can even be made in CAS.
But that's a potential lead- to add or a replace a voice type. Or finding a way to mute a pet with a buff. That way, the body could be made as an outfit. Kind of like the way they implemented the Star Wars aliens.

The main limitation of life stage modding are the UI changes and the amount of scripting- and potentially the requirement to overwrite core resources.
The other thing that would be worth looking into are custom occult mods. Mermaid overhauls, fairy mods, vampire witches, the spellcaster mods from before RoM- as well as the in-beta versions of such projects that pop up in the forums from time to time. Each implement their content in different ways, some rather backdoor-ed in and some try to mimic EA integration. You might find some inspiration for how they do that when it comes to creating your own lifestate.

There are also the animals from Cottage Living, for something a little more simplified. Much easier to replace all the parts of an interactive object like that than inject a whole new type of sim into the game. Little monster chickens sounds quite cute

Thank you so much for the idea! I'll take a look on these mods, plus it's a good idea to change or remove the voices and to replace the animation, interaction, and etc. It will be more easy than just make another species from scratch hahaha :P.