Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 3:19 AM Last edited by ToriOlivia : 12th Sep 2012 at 4:14 AM.
Default Can't Register As Self-Employed Band!!
First, I want to say if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I apologize in advance.

Ok, so here's the problem. The title really explains it all but here are more details.

I've created a band with 4 members, they all live together. They are all currently unemployed and when I try to register one of them as self employed band at City Hall (not available from her cell phone or computer), the band option is grayed out and says she does not have a high enough skill level to register for that profession.

Here's where the interesting bit comes to play, when I check her skill journal from anyone of the instruments she plays, the band tab is there but not from the actual skill tab where it lists her skills (hope that's not confusing).

Note: I DO have mods on the game as well as CC.
Note: I am playing in Bridgeport.

I'm completely lost as to what maybe causing this issue, I've googled, checked countless forums and have still not found a solution. Maybe someone out there could help?

EDIT: I've started doing process of elimination with the mods I have installed and so far when I removed the Nraas Career mods, the register self-employed option is not even there now from City Hall. (was never there from the cell phone or computer) I'm beginning to think it could have something to do with the latest patch because this is the first time I've had this issue and I've done the whole band thing before with no problems..
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 5:37 PM
You are not supposed to be able to self-register as a band. It must be one of the features of Nraas Career mod...? Go to Nraas site and check.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 7:33 AM
Thanks for your response but the self employed band profession is not a feature of Nraas' Career mod. I did mention in my original post that I have successfully done the band profession (before I knew anything about Nraas mods) in the past briefly with no problems until now.

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/i...tenightband.php <-- Check under Getting the Gigs
Field Researcher
#4 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 10:12 AM
Ah, now I see. I stand corrected. Never used that, obviously so I can't be of any help. Only thing I can think of is maybe you have some other mod that conflicts? Basically root out everything that has to do with jobs, hobbies (for example some no-autonomous-insertactionhere mods might be it?) and instruments.
Theorist
#5 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 2:33 PM
I'm not sure if this helps, but I think you must have at least one level of each music instrument skill before you get the option to register as Self-Employed band?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 3:19 AM
@Sirah81 I'll give that a shot, Thanks

@vhanster every person in the band has 4+ skill in every instrument. thanks for responding.
Test Subject
#7 Old 20th Jul 2013 at 9:45 AM
Default One year later...
I was just wondering if that solved your problem? I am having the same issue as well, and have done a lot of research on the matter for a resolution.

It's not because of a patch update or anything, is it? That seems silly, but you never know I suppose.

I only have Night Life and World Adventures, but before with the exact same expansions I was able to register my band just fine.
Test Subject
#8 Old 19th May 2015 at 8:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I know this thread is here for a long time but since I just found the solution here I am. I post it here because of the NRass Master controller mentioned.

I found this thread here because like you I create my household of four max their skills up to 5 in each instrument, and impossible to register them as self employed. I tried to remove the mods but then doesn't have the option at all. I have tried anything I found on internet but still nothing. What puzzled me is that the option was there but not available as it appear grey. And when I want to click on it, it sais that my Sims skill is not high enough.

Anyway I just find the solution by trying to get use to the master controller. Those who are familiar with the mod knows that you can set up you skill level from the advance option.

And this where you have the Band skill ! This Band skill is by default in -1, to be abled to register It should be 1.

We all thought that it was talking about the instrument skills but It was talking about the Band skill.

So go on NRaas, Advance option, Skills, Band, ok, and Set your Band skill at 1 which is the max, and the option should be available (in blue).

Hope this help.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th May 2015 at 11:02 AM
I just did this recently without any need of mods. You don't have to have 1 point in every instrument. You just need 1 point in 1 instrument and for each band member. So 1 person needs 1 point in guitar, another in bass, another in piano, and another in drums. Then what's tripping everyone up is that you have to get whoever you want to be the leader of the band to ASK the other band members to form a band. Select your leader and go under the friendly options (I believe it's there) and there should be something called "ask to join band". If that doesn't work or show up get the band member to play an instrument and try again. Do that and then you should get a pop up asking you the name of your band. From then on when you click on a sim you should have a new tab called Band, which can be used to quickly ask the next person. Once you do that for all members then you can go to city hall and register. But only your band leader can register if I remember right. The others will be set as unemployed if they're all in your same household. I'm not sure how it goes if you aren't controlling them.
Test Subject
#10 Old 14th Sep 2023 at 3:16 PM
Default I figured out how to fix it
It's been like 10 years but I just came across the same issue and I went around fixing the original problem of having too many mods and no idea which one of them caused this by just using NRAAS Master Controller to manually select a Band career for my sims. So download NRAAS Master Controller. Then Make a sim you want to have a Band career active, click on them and choose:

NRAAS -> Master Controller -> Intermediate -> Career -> Choose Job -> [here you choose from an alphabetically ordered list of careers] Band

This way the career is still blocked when you send your sim to the City Hall, but this mod will push-set the career as if you set it through a mailbox using testingcheatsenabled true. Remember to make sure the sim you want to set the career for is selected as active for this.

Hope you don't need it anymore, but a 10+ year problem is now fixed! You're welcome simmers!