Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 3899 times.
Destroyer of Worlds
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2012 at 3:38 PM
Default Water Planes
So...water planes. I'm finally trying my hand at them. I attempted the tutorial by zaide_chris but it seemed that no matter where I put my objects to get my coordinates, my Z2 was never bigger than my Z1. With that in mind, I decided to use the pond tool in SuperCaw. Now I did read that it is not as stable but it seemed like the only thing possible for my world at that point. I slowly added things in, making a general mess of the terrain around my waterfalls but I figured I'd come back in and fix it later. This is what the rough draft looked like:

I saved, closed, and went to bed. Came back this morning to work more on refining the terrain and I have this:

It looks like that everywhere but that's just a small, closer shot to show what happened. I'm not quite sure exactly WHAT happened though between closing and reopening this morning but it's no good. Obviously, I'll have to redo them. Any suggestion on what could have caused this as, when I placed them, my surrounding terrain was thick enough. I don't want to replace them and fix them up just to end up with the same problem.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Dec 2012 at 6:00 PM
Might suggest looking in CAW for three environment objects:

River Water - Single Short
River Water - Single Long
River Water - Multi Direction

I avoid water planes, they are problematic as you've discovered.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 19th Dec 2012 at 11:11 PM
Quote:
I attempted the tutorial by zaide_chris but it seemed that no matter where I put my objects to get my coordinates, my Z2 was never bigger than my Z1.
-- If Z1 is bigger then Z2 just swap them. Same with X1 and X2. All you need is 2 Xs and 2 Zs. They should be kitty-corner of each other.

The water planes un-clipped. By leaking out the waterfall.
Waterfalls are much harder then just simple ponds.

My ideas for fixing it are using a smaller water plane with would require using my tutorial, or covering the corners that are peaking out with terrain.
Destroyer of Worlds
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Dec 2012 at 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaide_chris
-- If Z1 is bigger then Z2 just swap them. Same with X1 and X2. All you need is 2 Xs and 2 Zs. They should be kitty-corner of each other.

The water planes un-clipped. By leaking out the waterfall.
Waterfalls are much harder then just simple ponds.

My ideas for fixing it are using a smaller water plane with would require using my tutorial, or covering the corners that are peaking out with terrain.

Little bastards.

I decided I should probably try to get a better sculpting job done of my area and then work on the water planes. Right now, I've left those messy ones in place and am doing some work around them, placing my effects and such, sculpting a better version of what will happen around them.

I think when I was trying your tutorial, my X2 would be bigger than my X1 but the Z2 was smaller than Z1 one. Somehow I always managed to only get halfway there. I can definitely attempt it again, now that I'm a little less frustrated.

Thanks you for the reply though!

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Dec 2012 at 5:00 AM
I found this happened to me as well, it tends to do this when CAW is shut down. In the end, I simply covered up the unwanted water plains with the ground :/