Quick Reply
Search this Thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#26 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you check the debug text on the swatch on one of the buggy beds after the error, what does it say?

It gives the usual (correct) swatch info, and as soon as you close the design tool box, even without clicking on anything, the bed reverts to the correct colour option.

Also, reloading the lot reverts the texture too, as mentioned before.

So it's not a problem with the data as such- the game knows which texture it's meant to be displaying- but rather a problem with which texture is actually displayed. It's like the game can't find the correct texture and pulls a placeholder from somewhere.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
Thanks for the tip about the "swatch tool" (Tooltip calls it the "Design Tool"). Didn't know what it was, or what it did.

As to the bug, I think it has to do with bed ownership, probably the "Smart Beds" mod (which I use by preference). And it only happens when something goes worng, so finding it isn't going to be simple.

Trust me to call it something incorrect. yes, you use that to change colour on a recolourable object. I think I played a few years before realizing its design was a bunch of colour swatches not keys (yep thought it was keys) and what it did in game.
I don't believe there is anything to find. It occurs anytime there is a hard reset. Certainly removing or adding a global mod can do it. This is a bug going way back that occurs on any kind of hard reset (including installing an EP) when sims are in bed and thrown out of bed to stand beside it.
I mess around with my mods a lot, I just swatch tool it and move on. No biggie.

@simsample what have you done to your picture? *gasp* I just noticed. No more blinking eyes? Nooo.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#28 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:33 PM
If it is an EA bug, it's possible any buggy CC beds that show the same issue are clones of those beds, and that the issue also gets imported when the bed is cloned.

I don't think I've seen it happen in my game (at least not that I remember, anyway), but I rarely get errors in my game, so that's probably why. Looks like the conditions need to be quite spesific.

Would be interesting to know what the issue is, though.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#29 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:42 PM
You can all reproduce this in your own games. Turn on testing cheats, buy one of the beds that simsfreq mentions here, have a sim relax on the bed, force an error>reset on the sim (not the bed).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#30 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:47 PM
You can force it to happen by buying one of the affected beds, getting a Sim to "Relax" on it (hit Pause once s/he is in position), and then using the Batbox to Force Errors on In-world. The bed will immediately lose its texture and the Sim will be toastered up. However, since they weren't sleeping in the bed, the covers stay put.

The Design Tool, aka Swatch Tool, does correct the texture problem ASAP. Good to know, as that avoids all the hassles of considering which bed(s) to (re)buy.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:49 PM
The problem with the bed "Dreaming of Olde" is apparently more severe, since it goes flashing blue, and it might be a good idea just not to use this bed.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 12:38 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Jul 2023 at 12:58 AM.
There's definitely something funky going on in the game files. If I set SimPE to pull files from the default files from the Hemnes single bed, it pulls a TXTR file called "beddoublebasic-pine_txtr" which looks pretty much exactly like the texture seen when the bed errors out (I think it's the one used for the cheap single bed, but not sure), and also a file called "beddoubleartnouveau-frame2_txtr". None of them looks anything like the Hemnes textures. It pulls the same files as LIFOs.

I got a "system out of memory" error when I try to clone the bed normally, not sure if that was just a SimPE bug or if it couldn't handle the file.

(I have the CEP installed, don't know if it does anything to that particular bed or the handling of those resources)

The Hemnes double bed pulls these (I cloned that one as if making a new object, just to see if that pulled the proper texture)
beddoubleartnouveau-frame2_txtr
beddoublebasic-honyoak_txtr
beddoublecolonial-frame-mahogany_txtr (This one has a MMAT on its own, set to "true". I have a feeling that could be the issue here).

in addition to the actual texture it uses, which is this one:
frame-blackbrown_txtr

I think I've seen this for several beds, and always wondered about those extra files. Wouldn't be surprised if it's got something to do with the errors.

Haven't checked the other beds, but I have cloned beds before, and those extra textures always puzzled me, so pretty sure other beds get those too. Unsure which ones, though (if it's just the ones in the "buggy" list, or all of them).

The textures below are the ones I found in the Hemnes beds, so if those look anything similar to the ones that show when those beds error out, this is most likely the problem, or at least part of the problem (some stray MMATs set to True that somehow have attached themselves to the wrong beds - at least that's what it looks like. I don't know how to fix it for the ingame files, but it shouldn't be too difficult to fix for CC beds).
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#33 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
The problem with the bed "Dreaming of Olde" is apparently more severe, since it goes flashing blue, and it might be a good idea just not to use this bed.

It's just a cosmetic issue, I think because it uses an alpha to get those intricate leaves. Can be fixed in the same way, no biggie. Not harmful, at least I don't think so.

Wow, that's interesting about the extra textures. I guess that must be what it's doing. Maybe it's something like they originally intended beds to have a worn state, and this is left over. I seem to remember reading something about that for other items. I always assumed that the swatch tool was supposed to indicate that your sim is getting crafty and reupholstering their furniture (or sanding it down and painting it) which is why it is associated with a small cost, and why it is swatches of material.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#34 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 3:49 PM
Simsfreq: Ehhh, possibly, but the one place you don't ever want to put it is an apartment building. If you don't rent that particular apartment to a Playable, you will have to kick all the Playables out to get at it to fix it (unless it will reset by exiting and reloading the lot.) Had that problem, kicked the Playables out, replaced the bed with one of the other canopy designs that doesn't flash blue, re-rented the apartments (one of them got that apartment, as a matter of fact).
Mad Poster
#35 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 4:26 PM
Okay, as long as you clone beds with the "create standalone object" unticked (unticking this option auto-repos the bedding, and some other items, for those who don't know), it seems it behaves a bit better and doesn't create the extra MMATs in the file, but it still gets you the extra textures for whatever reason.
(I had this one ticked for one of the first tries).

The extra textures are still puzzling, though.

For the "Dreaming of Olde" bed I get these extras (and there are TXMTs also, but not MMATs) :
beddoubleoriental-redwood_txtr
beddoubleartnouveau-frame2_txtr
(this was a full clone)

Nothing to explain the blue-flashing yet, but haven't studied the default files too much.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 9:08 PM
My guess is that it flashes blue because the beddoubleartnouveau / beddoubleoriental textures don't have an alpha channel. But that's just a guess, I don't really know how MMATs work.

Mad Poster
#37 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 9:32 PM
It lists "reflectionoutdoorwater-envcube" and "rampSpecRampTexture - blackwhite" in the TXMT, but those aren't listed in the "file list" (I assume those are ingame textures/spec maps). It also has one recolorable and one non-recolorable subset in addition to the bedding. Not sure which one of those is the one flashing blue (it's either the fabric which is the non-recolorable one, or the vines/wood - looked like the vines from the picture, but not sure)

Never heard of objects flashing blue because they lack an alpha channel (the textures have an alpha channel, but how well it shows depends on the texture quality and the format). Objects can flash blue or stir up other trouble if they aren't linked up properly in the resources that handle the textures or subsets, though.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I don't know why but for some reason testingcheats isn't showing up my version number?
You know you have to turn it on in Neighborhood Mode before going into Live Mode?

Or @ AndrewGloria - would you mind testing this if you have time?
I'm not quite sure what you'd like me to test. But I probably should read through the whole thread carefully after a night's sleep. I have very occasionally seen the bedding stay "humped", but I think I always have been able to fix it one way or another. I play from discs and only have the first three EPs installed (and a couple of SPs). I don't have AGS. I sometimes find that one half of a double bed becomes unusable, and that "Force Error - Reset" doesn't fix it. I have to delete the bed and buy a new one (and I usually have to use FamilyFunds to reimburse my poor Sims for the difference in price between the old and new beds). As for CC beds, I have two -- christianlov's "Easy Bed" which very rarely causes trouble, and Rebecah's Princess Bed, which glitched so often and so badly that I had to stop using it. On at least one occasion I had to delete it with a visiting child on a sleepover (Julian Moltke's precocious little brother Hans) inside it. I think I had to teleport him back, but he wasn't harmed.

Who plays on a mac do we know?
Simposiast and LordTyger9 among others.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#39 Old 23rd Jul 2023 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I'm not quite sure what you'd like me to test.

This post:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....088#post5903088
Mad Poster
#40 Old 24th Jul 2023 at 12:41 PM
Well, it seems my game is affected by this bug, even though I play a disc-based game with only the first 3 EPs and a couple of SPs. Kaye Parry tested it for me using the "A Luxurious Night's Sleep" bed in the house that she shares with three teenage girls in Elswyn. That bed comes with the Glamour Life SP:

Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#41 Old 29th Jul 2023 at 12:35 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 30th Jul 2023 at 9:25 PM. Reason: Spoiler tag in wrong place
Sorry to double post, but nobody else has replied, and I really want to report on the other tests I did.

First I got Nicola Hopkins to change the CC bedding on her Flowin' Protozoan Double Bed to Maxis bedding:

Then Leah Simpson changed her cheap double bed to The Legendary Bedscalibur Sleep System by Dulac Industries:

So It seems that, with the affected beds in my game (up to EP3 on discs), the texture of the bed always changes, but the bedding always resets properly. Possibly the problem with the bedding is caused by something in a later EP.

For the sake of completeness I think I'll also test a Sim in one of the unaffected "safe" beds. In addition, I probably should test with one of the affected beds using a completely CC-free Sim; i.e. a Sim with Maxis hair and absolutely no CC in any of their accessories or clothing outfits. I'm sure there are such Sims in my game, but there must be very very few of them! So to test that, I think I'll have to make a new Sim. I can always let them buy nicer clothes after we've done the test!

[EDIT] Newly created all-Maxis Sim Bryan Blyth helped me to test it in a new all-Maxis house in Baldrair Bluffs. First with a "safe" Cheap Eazzzzze Morrissey Double Bed:

Then he tested the Flowin' Protozoan Single Bed for me. It's one of the affected beds and it comes with the University EP:

So my final conclusion after all these tests. Playing with my version of the game -- playing from discs with only the first three EPs (and a couple of SPs) installed, an error, when a Sim is relaxing in any of the affected beds, will always result in the texture of the bed changing, but the bedding always resets properly. The presence or absence of CC, in the bedding, in the Sim, or elsewhere on the lot, makes no difference at all. I suspect that the problem of the bedding failing to reset must be caused by something in a later EP.

I would like to thank my friends Kaye Parry, Nicola Hopkins, Samantha Noble and Leah Simpson from Elswyn, and Bryan Blyth from Baldrair Bluffs for helping me with these tests. Now that all the tests are completed, Bryan has started buying, and wearing, CC clothing.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Test Subject
#42 Old 17th Jun 2024 at 8:45 PM
Default Fix
Hi everyone!
Well, I fixed that
I've removed an unnesessary change material function from bedding global BHAV, so maxis and custom beds as well are bug-proof now.
I'll be pleased for testers and/or feedback.
You can try and grab my fix here or here

p.s. already borked beds will not fixed automatically, use recoloring tool instead
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#43 Old 17th Jun 2024 at 10:39 PM
Thank you @Lowedeus , going to try this out! Brilliant.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#44 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 3:09 PM
As the person who originally reported this bug, I'm definitely going to give the fix a try. Thanks muchly!
Field Researcher
#45 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 11:19 AM
I have a household that's often hit with this problem - they all use Ikea beds - and given that I'm playing them next and I've removed a global mod since I last played, this fix is well timed! Thank you!
Mad Poster
#46 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 1:51 PM
This is so great, I'll put it in my game and feed back results. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2