Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2024 at 3:29 PM
Default Is there a Load order tool I can use?
I was thinking something like Mod Manager, Loot or RimPy, I have started using HcduPlus but I'm not really sure on some conflicts which way to put them in the load order.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Apr 2024 at 5:04 PM
You can rename them to change the load order. Files are loaded before subfolders, and it's numeric then alphabetical order. So file Ant.package loads before Bee.package, but zAnt.package loads after Bee.package.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Apr 2024 at 9:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
You can rename them to change the load order. Files are loaded before subfolders, and it's numeric then alphabetical order. So file Ant.package loads before Bee.package, but zAnt.package loads after Bee.package.

I am currently using the manual process, but its so slow. Losing the will to live!

I was actually hoping to find a software solution or some suggestions to streamline this task. Do you happen to know of any tools or methods that could help automate or simplify the renaming process?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Apr 2024 at 11:08 AM
No sorry, nothing that would be useful for this. Perhaps someone else will have an idea!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Apr 2024 at 4:10 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Apr 2024 at 1:32 AM.
It depends what's conflicting. If it's other things than mods/hacks (duplicates of objects, defaults, GUID conflicts, etc.), load order isn't going to help much - there you have to do other things, like sort out the conflicts, and only keep one default for each item.

Load order is more for mods/hacks that need to load in a spesific order to work together, because a function in one mod is meant to override or partly override a function in another mod, and the load order makes sure the mods load in the proper order.

The easiest is to just use a bunch of Zzzz's, however many you need for that particular set of mods (all mods don't need to be a spesific load order - two completely unrelated mods can be named "zWhatever" and "zSomeothermod", and those won't affect each other, but if you have multiple related mods and they need to be loaded in a spesific order, they'd be "zLoadsFirst" "zzLoadsSecond" "zzzLoadsThird" - as long as they're in the same folder, that is)

Most other mods/hacks and CC can happily coexist without you needing to do anything with the load order. There aren't many that need their load order fixed, and most of the time if it is important, you'll be warned by the mod creator what needs to load first/last.

(Just as an example, I've maybe needed to change load order for less than 10 of the mods I've got, which really isn't a lot compared to how many mods I have - but it would depend on which mods you're using).

There's the Bulk Rename Utility, but I can't see how it's going to be any more useful than just renaming the files manually in this case.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Apr 2024 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by awesomekateface
I am currently using the manual process, but its so slow. Losing the will to live!

I was actually hoping to find a software solution or some suggestions to streamline this task. Do you happen to know of any tools or methods that could help automate or simplify the renaming process?

How many are you changing the load order on? It should only be a handful of mods (hacks) that require a specific load order. If you have so many you probably have mods that are doing the same thing and should be running a hack conflict detection utility. Not all issues can be solved by changing load order.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Apr 2024 at 10:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
How many are you changing the load order on? It should only be a handful of mods (hacks) that require a specific load order. If you have so many you probably have mods that are doing the same thing and should be running a hack conflict detection utility. Not all issues can be solved by changing load order.

I recently discovered the HcduPlus utility, which has been helpful in managing conflicts and optimizing load order for my extensive mod collection. I've currently haved 163 of my mods display as 'Loads Earlier' or 'Loads Later,' indicating potential code conflicts. By adjusting the load order, I've managed to reduce this number from 200 which I had initally.

My mod folder contains over 2000 files, including various mods, hacked objects, foods, and required assets. While my game runs relatively well, I've been experiencing some FPS issues in certain houses due to custom content (CC). I'm aware that some of my mods may be obsolete, and I'm using this opportunity to remove them along with any others causing issues.

Currently, I'm using 'AllDups,' 'Advance Reminder,' 'What caused this,' and 'HcduPlus' to manage my mods. However, I'm unable to get 'SiMidge' working despite installing it.

I'm curious if there's a tool similar to LOOT that can handle all the tasks I mentioned earlier, including conflict detection, load order optimization, and identifying obsolete mods. Like I say its a slow process!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Apr 2024 at 7:56 PM
It doesn't mean all those mods have true conflicts, or conflict with all other mods, or need their load order changed (sometimes they already load in the proper order). Often it's one mod conflicting with one other, at most two others. You don't need to change the names for all of them, just the ones that should load last (and aren't already loading last).

In the HCDU, "Loads earlier" means the mod currently loads earlier than the one it's conflicting with. "Loads later" means the opposite. You'll still need to know which mod is supposed to load first/last, and also which mods can't be used together at all. Switching the load order doesn't necessarily mean you've fixed the conflict unless it really is a load order conflict.

163 conflicting mods/items sounds like a lot, and it seems weird they're all just having load order issues - are you sure there aren't any duplicate files or actual conflicting mods, and things like that?

(My mods folder alone has 800+ files in it, and I have maybe 3 files I've changed the load order for, so having lots of mods doesn't necessarily mean everything needs changing to load properly)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Apr 2024 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
It doesn't mean all those mods have true conflicts, or conflict with all other mods, or need their load order changed (sometimes they already load in the proper order). Often it's one mod conflicting with one other, at most two others. You don't need to change the names for all of them, just the ones that should load last (and aren't already loading last).

In the HCDU, "Loads earlier" means the mod currently loads earlier than the one it's conflicting with. "Loads later" means the opposite. You'll still need to know which mod is supposed to load first/last, and also which mods can't be used together at all. Switching the load order doesn't necessarily mean you've fixed the conflict unless it really is a load order conflict.

163 conflicting mods/items sounds like a lot, and it seems weird they're all just having load order issues - are you sure there aren't any duplicate files or actual conflicting mods, and things like that?

(My mods folder alone has 800+ files in it, and I have maybe 3 files I've changed the load order for, so having lots of mods doesn't necessarily mean everything needs changing to load properly)

It seems that the conflicts primarily arise from active traits mods and certain UI elements, there are no duplicates that I can find. I appreciate your efforts in helping me troubleshoot.