Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2023 at 7:48 PM
Help for MTS inbox Messages
(Idk where this question goes but I assume it will be in the Help a section because I need help)

When I post a comment or question onto MTS. I never get a notification/message in my inbox/message icon.

I have to like go to my profile... Search up THAT SPECIFIC POST/FORUM and then see if someone replied to me.

Is it just me being dumb or that sounds so impractical. I feel like there's a chance of me accidentally not knowing and then ignoring the person message (especially when it take days for a reply on MTS) which just irks me.

Is there another way???

@SimmerZozo for Twitter
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 11th Feb 2023 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmerZozo
(Idk where this question goes but I assume it will be in the Help a section because I need help)

When I post a comment or question onto MTS. I never get a notification/message in my inbox/message icon.

I have to like go to my profile... Search up THAT SPECIFIC POST/FORUM and then see if someone replied to me.

Is it just me being dumb or that sounds so impractical. I feel like there's a chance of me accidentally not knowing and then ignoring the person message (especially when it take days for a reply on MTS) which just irks me.

Is there another way???

Hello SimmerZozo
To be mentioned in a post, a member used to type "@member's name"(without the averted commas) to refer to another member, however I believe that no longer works.
If you wish to mention a member, you have to type " member's name "(without the averted commas).
When this is done, next time you sign in, beside your inbox, there will be a notification you have been mentioned in a post.
You can also check feedback if you started any posts as well as you had mentioned, the posts in your profile page.
Sadly not everyone addresses a reply to a specific member - but you should get this one.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 11th Feb 2023 at 2:43 PM
Hi SimmerZozo,

Notifications (and how to notify people) have always been a tricky thing. Some people only want emails, while others want to be able to see whats happening only on the site. I do agree that figuring out if people have actually reply on a thread has been... difficult... until now. I've just finished adding a system that extends the previous @ mention system (as said by Ladysimplayer8 above). This means that if anybody replies to a thread you have created, you will get a Notification in the navbar next to the PM count, which should solve this issue.

@Ladysimplayer8 mentions work without doing any quoting perfectly fine!

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Feb 2023 at 7:17 AM
ohhh I see. I did get a notification for this post.

But not the other one when I ask about NRASS stuff. I hope you continue to improve MTS notifications then ^^

@SimmerZozo for Twitter
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#5 Old 12th Feb 2023 at 1:32 PM
Only replies made AFTER I made my previous post (so, basically anything from yesterday afternoon onwards) count towards notifications. They aren't retroactive. But anything from then on will show up fine.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Feb 2023 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Only replies made AFTER I made my previous post (so, basically anything from yesterday afternoon onwards) count towards notifications. They aren't retroactive. But anything from then on will show up fine.

Ohhhh no wonder. I've been wanting this update when I started MODDING. This is great!!! 😭❤️

@SimmerZozo for Twitter
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#7 Old 12th Feb 2023 at 2:36 PM
Just as a quick note, I've also added a bell icon at the top of threads you created, just in case you *dont* want to be notified of any general replies in that thread.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Feb 2023 at 4:45 AM
Is it somehow possible to turn the name mention feature (or whatever is going on) off in the settings, at least when someone quotes your entire post for a reply?

I keep getting notifications when someone quotes my posts even if it's not my thread, and there's no way to turn this off (at least the @ mention had to be deliberate). A lot of people keep using the "reply" button that auto-inserts the previous post as a quote, but they don't remove the quote, so it's been a bit tedious the past few days, and I imagine it would fill up the message box pretty quickly.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#9 Old 15th Feb 2023 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Is it somehow possible to turn the name mention feature (or whatever is going on) off in the settings, at least when someone quotes your entire post for a reply?

I keep getting notifications when someone quotes my posts even if it's not my thread, and there's no way to turn this off (at least the @ mention had to be deliberate). A lot of people keep using the "reply" button that auto-inserts the previous post as a quote, but they don't remove the quote, so it's been a bit tedious the past few days, and I imagine it would fill up the message box pretty quickly.

Well, using the reply button under a specific post is essentially replying to your specific post - I am not sure what you mean by "reply button that auto-inserts the previous post as a quote". There's individual reply buttons under every post, but no "reply to previous".

With that said, you can turn off notifications for specific threads by clicking the bell icon at the top of the thread. This means you wont get any notifications for that thread at all even if somebody replies directly to a post you wrote.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Feb 2023 at 2:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Feb 2023 at 3:03 PM.
The regular "reply" box automatically inserts the previous post (or the one you clicked "reply" in, anyway) as a quote.

I kinda prefer using the "quick reply" option since I can read the posts above while typing, and also don't have to remove the quote. All the quoting everywhere, especially when not necessary, can sometimes be a bit annoying (especially when long posts are quoted with very short replies).

I didn't see a bell icon at first, but now there is one for this thread. It probably only appears after you've made a post or two?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#11 Old 15th Feb 2023 at 3:32 PM
I too prefer quick reply, but I'm still confused. So, underneath each post, is a specific "Reply" button (a small one). If a member clicks that button then it's a reply to that specific post. There is no automatic reply to last post option. Hence the confusion.

Also, quick side note - the notifications is NOT a PM, so it doesn't have the same limits as the PM inbox. It's essentially unlimited.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Feb 2023 at 8:40 PM
I meant if you click the "reply" button under a post, it puts in a quote for that post automatically. I'm guessing if you're quoted, that's what causes the notification?

Good to know it's unlimited, but it is still a bit tedious to get pinged if someone uses that particular reply variant each and every time they post. Because some people do. I tend to forget to turn off notification bells...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#13 Old 16th Feb 2023 at 10:08 AM
I meant if you click the "reply" button under a post, it puts in a quote for that post automatically. I'm guessing if you're quoted, that's what causes the notification?

Good to know it's unlimited, but it is still a bit tedious to get pinged if someone uses that particular reply variant each and every time they post. Because some people do. I tend to forget to turn off notification bells...

If you click Reply underneath a post, you are intending to reply directly to that post. So if somebody replies to your posts then, well, they are replying to you. Obviously I can't tell if they actually did intend to reply to you specifically, but basically what you're asking is to never to be notified if anybody replies to anything you ever post, correct?

Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th Feb 2023 at 11:36 AM
Not quite, but it's been several times lately when it's just me and another person posting in a topic, and they still keep quoting the entire post (and often long posts at that - help topics and the like. I'm fiine with it if it's a topic a lot of different people are posting and you want to reply to a particular post, but for conversations between one or maybe two people, I just feel it often creates a lot of unnecessary clutter, especially (for long posts) if the quote isn't edited to specify the parts you're replying to, anyway. Maybe it's just a pet-peeve of mine.

I think the @ still works, though. I got one today. I think it only works if it's put in before you post. It does nothing if it's put it in while editing the post.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#15 Old 16th Feb 2023 at 12:51 PM
Not quite, but it's been several times lately when it's just me and another person posting in a topic, and they still keep quoting the entire post (and often long posts at that - help topics and the like. I'm fiine with it if it's a topic a lot of different people are posting and you want to reply to a particular post, but for conversations between one or maybe two people, I just feel it often creates a lot of unnecessary clutter, especially (for long posts) if the quote isn't edited to specify the parts you're replying to, anyway. Maybe it's just a pet-peeve of mine.

I think the @ still works, though. I got one today. I think it only works if it's put in before you post. It does nothing if it's put it in while editing the post.

So is your "peeve" actually about the quoting behaviour? Also, mentions should work fine when editing (I've tested this in the past)

Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th Feb 2023 at 12:59 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Feb 2023 at 1:10 PM.
A bit (not sure if people just prefer the post being quoted, or don't realize the quote can be removed, or don't have the Quick Reply option active?), but mostly for getting pinged every time. I guess I'll have to remember to turn off the bell if it gets a bit too much.

Is turning off notifications for a topic supposed to turn off notifications even if someone quotes you in that topic? Because I turned off for this topic (just to check how/if it worked), but I still was notified with your last post. Or does quoting notify you every time, even with notifications off?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#17 Old 16th Feb 2023 at 6:14 PM
A bit (not sure if people just prefer the post being quoted, or don't realize the quote can be removed, or don't have the Quick Reply option active?), but mostly for getting pinged every time. I guess I'll have to remember to turn off the bell if it gets a bit too much.

Is turning off notifications for a topic supposed to turn off notifications even if someone quotes you in that topic? Because I turned off for this topic (just to check how/if it worked), but I still was notified with your last post. Or does quoting notify you every time, even with notifications off?

Quoting has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the notification system. I can quote random people and they wont get notified at all. All that matters is the Reply button and which post they hit Reply under, or if somebody uses Quick Reply, in which case it replies to the "thread".

Basically a reply has 2 possible parents: The post that the reply button was clicked on, or the thread. In each case, it should first check for if the user has notifications turned on. If so, then it adds the notification. I did just fix a bug that meant that it was ignoring if you turned it off for replys (again, nothing to do with quoting!), so you shouldn't get a notification for this post.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Feb 2023 at 6:59 PM
It's possible the bug was related to the issue I had. I didn't get a notification this time.
Inventor
#19 Old 17th Feb 2023 at 6:20 AM
Thank you for adding subscriptions under "conversations" in the header a few days ago. That's what I was missing too when I asked for it here.