Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 7:43 AM
Placing empty lots?
Can you place a new/empty lot in the town or do you just have to use the what EA has defaulted?

I'm surprised there isn't a mod or anything for that yet if they can't be placed!
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 7:54 AM
You have to use the lots EA has placed. "Surprised"? You think altering the way the game's map functions is that easy?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 7:55 AM
At the moment at least, you're stuck with what EA has already mapped out.

Hopefully a future XP or mod will remedy this, but I'm not holding my breath.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
You have to use the lots EA has placed. "Surprised"? You think altering the way the game's map functions is that easy?

Well no of course not. I know it's not easy. I sure wasn't trying to imply that but just saying in general, I'm surprised it hasn't even been brought up or anything. I looked around but didn't find much of anything on it ect.
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 8:07 AM
Yea we stuck with EA's placement and I can not believe how BIG of a step back for the sims this is.
Theorist
#6 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 9:39 AM
Why did they do it at all? They could allow placing lots wherever you want, provided that they're connected to a road and thus job rabbit-holes and other places can be reached.
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 10:07 AM
To be honest I don't mind it all that much. Just the way I play my sims, I don't build houses often because I'm bad at it. So i don't have much use for empty lots.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dream_angel007us
Well no of course not. I know it's not easy. I sure wasn't trying to imply that but just saying in general, I'm surprised it hasn't even been brought up or anything. I looked around but didn't find much of anything on it ect.

It's been a topic of discussion since the game came out. In fact, there's two other topics on neighbourhood editing that have been commented on in the past 24 hours. Although technically most were more in reference to the "world editor" that apparently EA promised, it's still along the same lines - the only reason they promised that was because we can't edit the towns in TS3.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 1:00 PM
Can someone tell me if it's the case that new lots open up as time goes on in the neighborhood you're playing. Such that if you play your Riverview save game for a long time, the size of your town will grow. I was sure it was like this only now I'm not so sure anymore.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 1:01 PM
No, more lots don't open up with time.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Typical
#11 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 1:11 PM
Well, I'm not too surprised they didn't make it possible to place your own lots. Think about it, some roads are curved, so that would mean there really are very few places that you could actually place a lot.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Well, I'm not too surprised they didn't make it possible to place your own lots. Think about it, some roads are curved, so that would mean there really are very few places that you could actually place a lot.

Not really. Lots don't need to be adjacent to roads actually. Look at the beach lot in sunset valley for instance. Although NH pathfinding may become a problem if lots could be placed anywhere.

Anyway, I don't see why people think it's so impossible that a world editor will be released. New NH's will probably keep coming, so what's the chance that they didn't develop some sort of tool to help create them? It's likely just a matter of it being a bit too complex for the general public.

I do think it's unlikely that when it comes we will be able to completely mesh worlds. More likely it will come with a bunch of empty maps to decorate and place lots in, which wouldn't be too different from what TS2 had, right?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 4:26 PM
There is doubt we will get a tool from EA because of past Sims games. For sims 1 they said they would release a tool to edit objects I think it was. Never came out. For Sims 2 we were supposed to get tools from them to again, edit objects, wasn't it. Never got it.

EA has shown us a record of saying we will get something, then not giving it to us. And the last time anyone from EA talked about releasing a world editor was back before they pushed back the release date.
Test Subject
#14 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 11:29 AM
you know what you can do... i'm sure you already know this, but for those who dont. just pick which lot you want, occupied or not, empty or with a house on it (evict the family, if there is one) and use the sledge hammer tool on it.

there ya go... empty lot! amazing, right???