Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2023 at 8:09 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Crashing After Clean Installing Packaged Files
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm having an issue with Sims 2 where I use the Clean Installer to install packaged sims and/or lots...after doing so, when I load onto a lot and click the doors/windows section of build mode, the game instantly crashes.

I have used these packaged sims and lots for years without any issues until now.

All of my custom content and mods work perfectly fine, I have tested them in a clean save and there are no problems with any of it.

I really want to save my neighborhood, but I'm at a loss as to how I can do that, nothing I have tried is working so far... please help! Thanks!
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 18th May 2023 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissM0582
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm having an issue with Sims 2 where I use the Clean Installer to install packaged sims and/or lots...after doing so, when I load onto a lot and click the doors/windows section of build mode, the game instantly crashes.

I have used these packaged sims and lots for years without any issues until now.

All of my custom content and mods work perfectly fine, I have tested them in a clean save and there are no problems with any of it.

I really want to save my neighborhood, but I'm at a loss as to how I can do that, nothing I have tried is working so far... please help! Thanks!

Hello @MissM0582
Before loading your Sims2 game, open Clean Installer and run the check that there are no issues with any objects in your Sims 2 Download folder.
Unfortunately I don't have access to my computer with Sims 2 and Clean Installer right now to tell you exactly how to do this but I think it is basically open the folder and then click check.
Over time, files can become corrupted for one reason or another; however if you know which ones, you could re-download them?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2023 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladysimplayer8
Hello @MissM0582
Before loading your Sims2 game, open Clean Installer and run the check that there are no issues with any objects in your Sims 2 Download folder.
Unfortunately I don't have access to my computer with Sims 2 and Clean Installer right now to tell you exactly how to do this but I think it is basically open the folder and then click check.
Over time, files can become corrupted for one reason or another; however if you know which ones, you could re-download them?

I can try that, thank you...I don't understand how stuff can suddenly become corrupted, but I will check, hopefully it's nothing I really need to keep
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2023 at 9:51 PM
Do the files you've installed contain CC? If so, it's likely some of the CC items are causing the crashing issues.

You'll know if they contain CC or not if they have more files in them than just the sim file or lot file. Those files may or may not be compatible with the rest of your CC, and likely needs to be tested to see if it's causing any issues. Also check to see if the lot and/or sim needs you to download any CC to show up properly. Missing CC, for instance master meshes, or outdated items that haven't been replaced with fixed ones can also cause some problems.

If the files are randomly named with letters/numbers (not the sim-file, but any other files), it's likely they've been passed from house to house or sim to sim via the default package installer (it renames files). It's difficult to know what they are and whether they're the newest version of the files, so they are a bit more likely to be buggy.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th May 2023 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Do the files you've installed contain CC? If so, it's likely some of the CC items are causing the crashing issues.

You'll know if they contain CC or not if they have more files in them than just the sim file or lot file. Those files may or may not be compatible with the rest of y

our CC, and likely needs to be tested to see if it's causing any issues. Also check to see if the lot and/or sim needs you to download any CC to show up properly. Missing CC, for instance master meshes, or outdated items that haven't been replaced with fixed ones can also cause some problems.

If the files are randomly named with letters/numbers (not the sim-file, but any other files), it's likely they've been passed from house to house or sim to sim via the default package installer (it renames files). It's difficult to know what they are and whether they're the newest version of the files, so they are a bit more likely to be buggy.

All of my packaged sims have CC and I have tested all of it, it all works perfectly fine...I have my CC as organized as I can and yeah it all works fine.

I started a new save and tested everything, didn't have any problems. I have installed several of my sims and haven't had any issues yet...

But it could happen at any time and I don't know why it does. I have had the majority of my CC for 10+ years and as said it all works perfectly fine.

It's just recently that I have had this issue where I install a lot of a sim via the Clean Installer that when I click on doors/windows in build mode that the game instantly crashes and I can't figure out why that happens
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th May 2023 at 2:57 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th May 2023 at 3:10 AM.
Doors/windows have nothing to do with installed sims, so it's likely something to do with lots you've installed, or it could be an issue from earlier that you haven't noticed.

Crashing from clicking on a category usually means there are some bad items in there - most likely something new you've recently installed. Temporarily moving out recently installed files, testing with just your old files to see if those work fine, and if they do you add things back again gradually so you see where the issues are coming from (as a form of reverse 50/50) could be an idea.

If you have moved CC files around, and/or have edited files, and don't regularly delete the cache files, the game can sometimes react to that by crashing, too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th May 2023 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Doors/windows have nothing to do with installed sims, so it's likely something to do with lots you've installed, or it could be an issue from earlier that you haven't noticed.

Crashing from clicking on a category usually means there are some bad items in there - most likely something new you've recently installed. Temporarily moving out recently installed files, testing with just your old files to see if those work fine, and if they do you add things back again gradually so you see where the issues are coming from (as a form of reverse 50/50) could be an idea.

If you have moved CC files around, and/or have edited files, and don't regularly delete the cache files, the game can sometimes react to that by crashing, too.

But as said I tested everything in a new save and it all works perfectly fine.

This problem occurs most often when I install lots, but this last time it started up after I installed sims that I have packaged from bodyshop and have used for years with no problem.

I tested all of the CC from them and it all works perfectly so that's the confusing thing about this.

Currently my game is working perfectly even with installed sims. I have not installed any lots, but will test that out soon!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th May 2023 at 4:01 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th May 2023 at 6:23 PM.
S2pack files are basically zip files for sims2 - they don't contain anything more fancy than regular Package files (plus the Temp files for lots). Clean Installer works much like an unzip program for these files. If it installs everything in the correct places, it's more likely there's something wrong with the files than with the program.

---

There's technically no need to install sims you have made in Bodyshop if you already have a copy of them in your game - likely the sim file is in your SavedSims folder (although, the CC is all over your Downloads folder, so you can package them as a backup, and/or as a way to find the CC they come with).

You do end up with a lot of duplicate files if you package lots and/or sims, and then install them again via the S2pack file. That could be part of the issue? Duplicate files can sometimes cause crashing issues, especially if some of the files have at one point been changed.

If you install sims/lots made by other people, you'd need to install them via S2packs, though. But one time is enough.

For lots (if they're your own, and you already have all the CC installed, and you just want the lot in the lot bin), you can choose to install just the lot. That way you don't get any duplicate CC (if that's the issue you're having).

---

Personally, I just move the face-files from SavedSims to Downloads for the Bodyshop-created sims I want to keep (so SavedSims doesn't get cluttered).

If you have already installed (but deleted) or built a lot, and you want to copy this to the lot bin for later use, you can actually copy it to the lot bin while you're still ingame, using this method (without having to move it into and taking it out of the bin) --> https://thesims2.livejournal.com/6049797.html (previously occupied lots need a few extra cleaning steps, though).
(but again, packaging as a backup is very useful for later use and for uploading).