Replies: 37 (Who?), Viewed: 30353 times.
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2011 at 11:32 PM Last edited by grimreefer24601 : 29th Sep 2011 at 5:43 AM. Reason: Tested with Pirates & Nobles
Default Grim's Medieval Auto Save (Updated for 2.0/Working with Pirates & Nobles)

Updated for 2.0

Tired of forgetting to save? Lost hours of play due to power outages or the dreaded CTD? Well no more. Introducing Grim’s ‘The Sims Medieval’ Auto Save.

This mod adds auto saving to any version of ‘The Sims Medieval’ .
Choose how many minutes you want between auto saves and how many different saves to keep.
Don’t want to save right now? You can choose to have the mod ask you if you want to save when the time expires.
Need a drink, or a byte to eat? You can set the mod to pause the game when it finishes auto saving, so you know you wont miss anything while your away.
Best of all you can change all these settings, and even turn auto saving on or off without stopping your game.

Simply place GrimsTSMAutoSave.package into your Mods/Packages directory. A new self interaction will be added to your Sims allowing you to modify the auto save options.

Just click the new interaction and a new custom options dialog will be displayed where you can make your changes.

Languages
French by Ninoochat (ninoo)

Polish by (1234567890mm)

Russian by ibce (Shelling)

Spanish by Aida Garcia (aidagarcia)

Compatibility
There are two versions of this mod, one for 1.13 and earlier, and one for 2.0. This mod in no way overrides any game content. There are no known conflicts between this mod and any other mod.

This is a script mod so you must install d3dx9_31.dll in your The Sims Medieval\Game\Bin folder.
Please Refer to How to mod you game for beginners for mod installation instructions and files.

Update 8/5/11
Updated for 2.0.

Update 7/26/11
Fixed problem where game would stall on creating a new kingdom. (Thanks Simmodder99 and kitbun for pointing it out and info)
Fixed problem with AutoSave not resetting defaults on creating new kingdom. (Thanks Simmodder99 for pointing it out)
Enjoy
Screenshots
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip GrimsTSMAutoSave_V_1_1.zip (20.9 KB, 256 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Enables in-game tunable auto save in The Sims Medieval Version 1.3
File Type: zip GrimsTSMAutoSave_V_2_0.zip (21.0 KB, 1838 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Enables in-game tunable auto save in The Sims Medieval Version 2.0
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th May 2011 at 8:15 PM
THANK. YOU.

You have no idea how many times I've gone with hours of play without saving (curse you, hyperfocus!) only to lose it because Windows Update has somehow finagled its way into auto-update again. That moment of panic, bemusement, and, ultimately, fury when it looks like I've had a random CTD only to find that -- nope! It's Windows Update! -- I'm glad I won't have to suffer it again. <3
Test Subject
#3 Old 13th May 2011 at 2:15 AM
Thank you.

This is the mod I have wanted most.

As I sometimes forget to save (when immersed in the game) and then encounter graphics problems.

You are a hero.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th May 2011 at 4:35 PM
This was the most important mod for me to make for the same reasons you wanted it. I've been downloading from here for years, and now it feels good to give something back. I'm glad I could be helpful. You're welcome, and thanks for letting me know you like it.
Test Subject
#5 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:32 AM
Thank you :3

Vinny Lecavalier, simply the best!
Test Subject
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:27 AM
So does this allow our files to be saved, finally? Because when I installed 1.3 the patch wouldn't let me save.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:32 PM
Sorry, but it probably won't fix anything in your game. It still uses all of the same saving code. The only difference is that an automated task calls it instead of a menu.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 8:28 PM
Default Auto Save Major Update!
I've been working on this update for awhile now. For those who are familiar with my TS3 Auto Save mod, this mod adds the same in-game tunable Auto Save to TSM.

Thanks to those who have already downloaded the original, and I hope you all enjoy the new improved version.
Test Subject
#9 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 9:28 AM
Hi. Sorry to barge in like this , but apparently... Long story short, the AutoSaveMod is clashing with my game, or the mods I'm using.

I've only had the game for about a week now, and installed several mods-typical mods like nomosaic, testingcheatsenabler, longerquesttime, etc, etc,. After installing them I started the game, it was fine until I made a new kingdom and waited for the Kingdom Mode screen to pop up. That's what I ended up doing for 10 minutes. I waited for the Kingdom Mode screen to show while staring at the 100% loaded bar screen. It happened the next time I loaded TSM up, so I tried 1) restarting the game 2) making a kingdom and 3) waiting for the kingdom Mode screen to show. The first time with NO mods, then adding a few mods, and adding a few mods again.

So, what's I'm trying to say is, that this mod seems to clash with either the game or some of the mods I have, but apparently it seems to be working fine for everyone else, so.... maybe it's the mods? If you want I can write up the list of mods I'm using In the meanwhile, no AutoSave for me... Or is this already a closed thread? Seems it hasn't had a reply for 3 weeks...
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 3:29 PM
Sorry you're having issues with it. Unfortunately where you're saying you have a problem is after Autosave should have done it's work. Any similar problem I've had has stopped a few inches before a full bar. Do you have the issue if you install only AutoSave? If you want to PM me a list of mods you're using I'll see if I can figure out what is causing the problem. Also if you'd describe your computer setup it might help.
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 7:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer24601
Do you have the issue if you install only AutoSave?

Sorry, forgot to mention that I was using the original, unpatched version of the game the first time, although I don't really know if it matters, since it should be okay with any other version..

Long story short(again) it seems AutoSave clashes with Shimrod's AmbitionsUnlocked mod(ver3)...?

So I re-installed the game, patched it up, then tried no mods/no CC and it worked, so it's not a game or pc problem. (I think....?)

Then I tried it with only Autosave, the game properly loaded up when I made a new kingdom under the 'New Beginnings' ambition, the only unlocked one. I played until the game allowed me to save, then made another random kingdom under 'New Beginnings', it worked.

Then I reinstalled the other mods as well and chose the 'Legen (wait for it) dary' ambition and made a new kingdom, enabled by Shimrod's AmbitionsUnlocked mod, Ver3. Same thing happened as last time, the game refused to go beyond the full bar screen. After waiting for a few minutes, I closed the game.

Then I got rid of all other mods except AutoSave and AmbitionsUnlocked, and loaded the game up, and tried making a new kingdom under the 'Legendary' ambition again. Again, same problem. The full bar screen showed, with the sim diamond twirling around.

So I tried loading the game up again with only those two mods, then made a kingdom under 'New Beginnings', because I thought maybe it was a problem only with the ambitions I hadn't unlocked by playing(meaning every other ambition except New Beginnings). Apparently it's not(as far as I can see, although I'm no modder..), since the game refused to go beyond the full bar screen again, so I shut the game down.

Then I reloaded the game, and tried making a new kingdom under the 'Efficient Expander' ambition. Again, same problem.

But the mod itself works, I checked by playing the test kingdom under the New Beginnings ambition, the options (EnableAutoSave, PauseAfterAutoSave, etc) pop up normally.

So.... either AutoSave clashes with the AmbitionsUnlocked mod, or when you play with an ambition that you havent locked but is enabled with a mod (..?) ... I don't know, I know nothing about modding or codes... Hope this babble helps
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 3:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the AmbitionsUnlocked mod, and see if it causes me a problem. However, I seem to remember reading about some strange issues with that mod. Have you tried running only AmbitionsUnlocked and been able to load?
Test Subject
#13 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 3:12 AM
Yep, running the game with only that was possible. Everything went like it's supposed to, although I didn't play much, I just saw that the game loaded up properly then saved and quit.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 5:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it's something besides Ambitions Unlocked. I have run several tests and have had no problems with it. I also looked a the package file, and there is really no way that Auto Save would clash with Ambitions Unlocked. They are totally different type of mods, they contain none of the same files, and they work in completely different systems within the engine. I'm not sure why you seem to have this issue. Have you tried running Auto Save again, after using Ambitions Unlocked? I believe after you save the game you no longer need to keep that package in your mods folder.
Test Subject
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 6:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer24601
Have you tried running Auto Save again, after using Ambitions Unlocked? I believe after you save the game you no longer need to keep that package in your mods folder.

Well actually yes, I tried running with just AmbitionsUnlocked and made a kingdom under a normally unlocked ambition then saved and quit. Then I loaded the game up with only Autosave to see if it would work, then strangely I wasn't able to even see the newly made kingdom under Legendary... Maybe it's not so strange. Maybe the game only allows the user to see a kingdom when the ambition is actually unlocked?

And I wouldn't know if a mod problem was staring at my sim's face, but since I tried running the game with either only Autosave, only AmbitionsUnlocked, both or neither, I don't think something else is causing the problem. But as I said, I don't know squat about modding.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbun
Well actually yes, I tried running with just AmbitionsUnlocked and made a kingdom under a normally unlocked ambition then saved and quit. Then I loaded the game up with only Autosave to see if it would work, then strangely I wasn't able to even see the newly made kingdom under Legendary... Maybe it's not so strange. Maybe the game only allows the user to see a kingdom when the ambition is actually unlocked?

The Ambitions Unlocked mod needs to be installed for the other ambitions to show up, if you remove it they are greyed out again and you can't access them. So it is normal that you won't be able to get to this new kingdom if the mod is removed.

My other mod called "The Unlocker" is the one which needs to be removed after it has worked.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:10 PM
Thanks Shimrod101, I knew I'd heard that, but was unsure about where.

For Kitbun, I'm sorry, but I don't know of anything else to try. I have no problems running both mods, and starting new knidoms. I guess you'll have to choose between the two.

Does anyone one else have problems using Auto Save and Ambitions Unlocked?
Test Subject
#18 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 4:06 AM
Hello! This is an awesome mod, and I want to use it, but for some reason after I installed it, it doesn't show up. You can access the options for it by clicking your sim right? The "Auto Save Options" tab doesn't show up for me.

It's also the only package file I have installed.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 4:29 AM
Wow, I can't believe I haven't added that to the description. At least my best guess is you need to add d3dx9_31.dll to your The Sims Medieval\Game\Bin folder. It can be found in the how to mod your game sticky.
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 5:20 AM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 26th Jul 2011 at 1:54 PM.
Dang. I have discovered your (superior mod) Autosave conflicts with my Populous (a roles mod). Very odd. Any ideas? Have posted a workaround there...
Can you confirm or deny?

--Regards, 99

Simmodder99's Mod Library

"Is there no welcome for the wicked?" -- Lord Magus Xavier of the Dark Wizards
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 2:32 PM
I don't believe it's any conflict with your Populous mod. I have that mod in my game, and while I haven't added a new building or monarch to activate it, it doesn't seem to cause Auto Save to not work. This is the second unrelated mod that I've had someone say conflicted, so I'm sure something is going on, but I can assure you that editing the roles xml shouldn't cause the problem.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Do you not get the Auto Save Interaction at all, or does it lock up?

If you don't get the interaction, have you tried on other sims? It's possible it may not be added to new sims. (Wait, I reread your Populous post, and I'm betting it has to do with the adding of the new sims. I also think I know how to fix it, but I'll have to wait till this evening.)
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 3:47 PM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 26th Jul 2011 at 9:51 PM.
Alright, with ONLY autosave loaded:
From boot to TSM.exe to create new kingdom I get a hang.
From boot to TSM.exe to old kingdom I get play, with autosave interaction.
Returning then to main menu, I can then create a new kingdom without a hang.
But multiple new sims do not get the autosave interaction.
Until after a save and reload, then they do...
Never thought to remove my mod until just now. I knew roles file had nothing to do with it, but new kingdoms did. Funny how we want to blame ourselves...
So, yeah, something isn't right with new sims. Maybe that's all it is. Cross-fingers?
Good luck later...
Side issue? Don't know if this is normal, but I sometimes get cross-pollination of autosave settings between kingdoms, irregardless of ambition, sometimes it auto-populates with correct info.

After further testing I determined there is actually nothing wrong with my Populous file, it loads normally.
However, after repeated circumstances I found when creating a new kingdom, Grimreefer's Autosave caused a loading bar hang. Should you require Autosave, this is a workaround until Grim gets a fix. >> If creating a kingdom, you MUST first load an old kingdom, then exit (not quit game) to main menu without saving, then start the new kingdom. If you don't do this the loading bar will freeze. EDIT: FIXED.

Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 9:36 PM
I have figured out the problem, and have uploaded a new fixed version. Thanks for all the info from Simmodder99 and kitbun. Both of these problems seem to be the same thing. This was not an issue with any mod conflicts. What was happening was when a new kingdom is started the task processor isn't set up until after you pick a hero. If you had been playing a different kingdom before the task processor was already set up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmodder99
Side issue? Don't know if this is normal, but I sometimes get cross-pollination of autosave settings between kingdoms, irregardless of ambition, sometimes it auto-populates with correct info.

I'm not sure what you mean by cross-pollination. New Kingdoms should start with their default settings. Otherwise AutoSave saves it's setting with each save game, so each save game can have individual settings.
Test Subject
#24 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 9:49 PM Last edited by Simmodder99 : 27th Jul 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Each new kingdom should start with blank settings, but it pulls sets from old kingdoms as defaults. Your new version has probably fixed that too.
EDIT: It did fix it. Musta been the task processor too. You're all set Grim.

Edit 2: New kingdoms start with blank sets. But if one quits, loads old kingdom, then the new kingdom, sets are filled with old kingdom sets. I don't think this is good, but I don't care anymore. Blah...

Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmodder99
Edit 2: New kingdoms start with blank sets. But if one quits, loads old kingdom, then the new kingdom, sets are filled with old kingdom sets. I don't think this is good, but I don't care anymore. Blah...

That was actually a harder fix than the loding problem, but I now have it fixed. Sorry to make you have to download again. Thanks again for your excellent info.
Page 1 of 2