Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 10:48 PM
Default If it wasn't called "The Sims 4", would you buy the game?
Let's just imagine this is a completely different game. It has nothing to do with the Sims series. It's just another life sim / god game. Nobody is disappointed about the lack of certain features (pools, toddlers, CASt, etc.) because we never expected them in the first place.

You see this neat looking game in the electronics section of Walmart or wherever else you shop. Would you buy it?

I think I would, and that's why I think I'm probably going to get TS4, even though it is missing a lot of features that I wish it had. And if I don't like it, EA won't get another penny from me. (Except for Dragon Age: Inquisition, that is )

Sorry if this thread is uncalled for or redundant. I still haven't learned how to not be an idiot on the interwebz.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 10:53 PM
I would be turned off by the cover art and assume it was some kind of Sims 2 console knockoff inspired by anime and Disney.
Test Subject
#3 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 11:05 PM
I'd write down the name of it, and look for reviews when I got home. That's what I do when I see a new game that looks interesting, I check to see what information is available about the game and whether the reviews are good or bad. Since the reviews would likely mention the lacking features, I'd ultimately choose not to buy. No toddler life stage is a deal breaker for me.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 11:19 PM
Not a chance.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 11:21 PM
No. I would stick with the Sims series, because a real Simgame has toddlers. And Teenager that are smaller than adults.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 11:27 PM
Nah. I like TS2. I don't need two life sims to play, and not-TS4 wouldn't be good enough to replace TS2.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 11:44 PM
I would probably be very interested in it if I was younger but now I would not, When looking for a good role playing simulation type of game I look for realism that sims 4 does not offer
Forum Resident
#8 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 11:55 PM
no i would not, because it would still be like the sims 3, (or more like sims2) but without the open world, etc, etc...
Inventor
#9 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 11:57 PM
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

So, no, for those not familiar with the Bard.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:05 AM
No. I don't like the way the "characters" look (Characters instead of Sims since supposedly this is not a Sims name.) I never did like the way they looked, and if they looked exactly the same with a different name I still wouldn't buy it. I would stick to Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:12 AM
Yes I would buy it Even without some features it looks like a lot of fun.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:16 AM
if it was just some random game, not made by EA, still no because of the price. What they are selling is not worth $88 AUS. $50 maybe, $40 would be more reasonable.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#13 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:27 AM
either if it were or werent a sims game, i would first want to read the opinions and reviews of the game before concidering spending my money on it. and even then, if the reviews were good, i would wait a good while until the price goes down. because right now, as it is, i'm with Joandsarah77, way too expencive.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:35 AM
Uhm no.
Scholar
#15 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
I would be turned off by the cover art and assume it was some kind of Sims 2 console knockoff inspired by anime and Disney.

Hey, Anime can look pretty freaking cool! Look at Miyazaki's work (and his son's), that animation is gorgeous.

As for the Topic... if it was just another Life Simulation game? Mh... it looks nice, but I probably wouldn't. A life simulation game just shouldn't skip a life stage. I mean, Harvest Moon is kind of a life simulation game alongside farming and such. Yeah it doesn't really have a baby stage, but in certain games the child does go from toddler to child to teen after a number of years have passed.

C-A
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 1:01 AM
If this wasn't a Sims game I wouldn't be in this forum. I have never played any other video game, don't look like I will.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mishy
no i would not, because it would still be like the sims 3, (or more like sims2) but without the open world, etc, etc...

Yeah the name doesn't help but it still doesn't matter. From what we've heard it sounds like a piss poor excuse for a game. I don't want a downgraded version of Sims 3. I'd have to see some gameplay first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
if it was just some random game, not made by EA, still no because of the price. What they are selling is not worth $88 AUS. $50 maybe, $40 would be more reasonable.

Ah, yes, the price. I forgot about that. Probably because it's ridiculous.
Theorist
#19 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 2:44 AM
No, because it would still be a game distributed by Electronic Arts. That alone is dealbreaker for me.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#20 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 2:54 AM
The price is higher than the TS3 basegame was. That's what bothers me the most.

(at least when I looked at EA's TheSims site - I'd guess at least 15-16 USD more than what TS3 was priced at in stores here)
Theorist
#21 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 3:05 AM
Probably, if it was called Masters of Mood and the goal of each sim was to avoid suicidal moods.
Alchemist
#22 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Hey, Anime can look pretty freaking cool! Look at Miyazaki's work (and his son's), that animation is gorgeous.

Let's just say that the Sims 4 has contracted the non-gorgeous aspects of anime (i.e. pointy chins, unrealistic hair, ridiculous color schemes).
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 3:53 AM
I wouldn't. It would be really overpriced, as it's a game that (hypothetically) no-one had heard about that appeared on a Walmart shelf. If it was on sale for like $15... however... I would buy it. It's worth about $15 to me as it is now, anyway.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 4:00 AM
No, simply because the looks of the game have always put me off. Why?

1) the licorice hair
2) awkwardly proportioned bodies
3) too cartoony
4) They walk like they have ill-placed feminine hygiene products.
5) And finally, it is hard to tell what else is visually unappealing, because I got blinded by the bloom.

The only way to redeem the looks of the thing is with good solid gameplay. I'd have to check it out on YouTube Let's Plays to know for sure.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 4:55 AM
If the price were right, maybe, and if there were more information available. I would not buy it at $50 or more. By the looks of it now, it's worth $20, absolute maximum to me. And considering there's very little information on it, aside from Build and Create-A-Sim...
Page 1 of 2