Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 5:07 PM
Default CC Walls not working on short walls
I've been having an issue with certain cc wall paints just being a giant question mark tile over the wall. I recently found out that these specific paints/wallpapers only worked on medium height walls. Has anyone been able to fix this issue, or is there a simple way for me to modify these walls myself so I can use them on short walls? I don't like anything taller than the short walls, and I need more colours than the base game offers. I found some beautiful paints and wallpapers, and I'd like to be able to use them!

Thanks!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 5:33 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 22nd Feb 2016 at 5:45 PM.
That is most likely because the textures have a wrong size. Wall textures would most often be 256x512 pixels for low- and medium-height walls, 256x1024 for tall walls; there are also walls that have larger textures (like 512x512) and span multiple tiles. The lengths of the sides need to be a power of 2 in any case, like 128, 256, 512, 1024 ..

If that is the problem it would be quite simple to fix: open the package in s4pe, export the wrongly-sized texture (select it from the list, rightclick, Export to DDS -- at the top of the preview on the right-hand side, you can see the size in pixels), resize it in some image editor and import it back in (rightclick > Replace).

If this is content that you downloaded somewhere, you should tell the creator about that issue though, so that they can fix their actual upload. Otherwise *every* downloader would need to do this.

Theoretically this kind of thing can also be caused by something else, like wrong references or missing images. If you can't see any images with weird sizes in the packages you have there, can you post or link to an example?

Moving to Create as well, since you're asking about actually editing them (there is no in-game way to change this).

(Edited to add a screenshot. That would be a typical short wall, I've marked where you see the size in yellow).
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 6:37 PM
Thanks! I don't really have any image editor, besides MS Paint, what kind would you recommend?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 7:31 PM
Maybe try Paint.net? http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

That is free and pretty simple to use. Its image resizing algorithm is not super uber awesome, but should be totally sufficient for this =) -- it's widely used for creating Sim custom content.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2016 at 6:56 PM
Thanks so much! It works great!