Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 2167 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2020 at 2:51 PM Last edited by supra107 : 18th Aug 2020 at 5:44 PM.
Tutorial - Installing ReShade for Sims 2 UC
In this tutorial I will show two ways of successfully installing ReShade in Sims 2 without using any sketchy DLL injectors that have to be run every time you run the game.

Method 1: DXVK

This method is best suited for modern systems with proper Vulkan API support.
You will need to download DXVK binaries, as well as the ReShade installer.

First, download the newest DXVK binary archive, the one that has the .tar.gz extension. 7zip will open it just fine. In it, there is another .tar archive, which contains a folder, in which we will find the binaries for all kinds of DirectX versions.
We will have to extract the "d3d9.dll" file found in the "x32" folder of the DXVK archive to the same folder where the Sims 2 executable is located. You will easily find it by peeking at the Sims 2 shortcut settings.
As a sidenote, DXVK helps with stability of older, buggier games, such as Sims 2 or GTA IV.

After that, we will have to install ReShade for all Vulkan based games. To do it, we will simply run the ReShade installer and press the "Enable/disable ReShade in Vulkan globally" button. After that, Sims 2 should run through the Vulkan API, and have ReShade injected into it.

Method 2: Ultimate ASI Loader

This method is more clunkier, and should be used only if your system is too old to support Vulkan.

You will need to download Ultimate ASI Loader and ReShade.

As with the first method, we will have to locate the game's .exe file by peeking at the Sims 2 shortcut settings. In that folder we will add our .dll's.

Start off by installing ReShade to Sims 2. For ease of installation, choose "Direct3D 9".
After you've finished installing it, you will have to rename the "d3d9.dll" file to "ReShade.asi", so that it will get loaded by the Ultimate ASI loader

Then, we will have to install Ultimate ASI Loader. Download the latest archive called "Ultimate-ASI-Loader.zip", and extract the "dinput8.dll" file into the same folder where the game's .exe file is. We now have to rename it to "d3d9.dll".

After that, ReShade should be properly injected every time we run the game.

Depth buffer tweaks (thanks to @lazlo-curious for showing this)

Note that Sims 2 is a coding mess, and the depth buffer will act weird, which will make shaders utilizing depth buffer useless. We can fix it by doing the following tweaks to the "Graphics Rules.sgr" file. We can find it by going back to our main .exe folder, going up once, and then going into 'TSData/Res/Config" folder.

In it, we will have to locate the following values and adjust them accordingly.

Search for the seti Low parameter, and change it's value from 1 to 2.
Then, locate the option DirtyRect section, in which you will find another section called setting $Low. There, you will find the intProp dynamicRenderStrategy parameter, of which we will change the value from 1 to 0.

Another tweak we will have to do will be in the in-game settings. We will have to completely turn off anti-aliasing, as it blocks off the access to the depth buffer. Since The Sims 2 is a mess, you will have to set it to the "highest" value to completely disable it.

After that, all depth buffer related shaders should work flawlessly, without any flickering.

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 7:55 PM
Does the depth buffer work? Like can you use AO and depth of field?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2020 at 6:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwofles
Does the depth buffer work? Like can you use AO and depth of field?

The depth buffer is accessible, but for some reason it's flickery and doesn't sync up with the actual image in real time, resulting in effects like MXAO looking glitchy.
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Jul 2020 at 6:46 PM
Hey guys. AO and depth of field works in the sims 2 just fine, although it's handy to put this in your downloads folder first, then install reshade to sims 2. Use direct3d10+ as your rendering API since DX9 causes crashing on NHOOD screen. To stop flickering and have your AO work, firstly turn on smooth edges and tweak your graphics rules as shown in this post here .

I only know this to work with Origin version of ts2, but if anyone has gotten it to work without it, lmk bc it'd be greatly appreciated.

In-depth tutorial here .
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 5:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlo-curious
Hey guys. AO and depth of field works in the sims 2 just fine, although it's handy to put this in your downloads folder first, then install reshade to sims 2. Use direct3d10+ as your rendering API since DX9 causes crashing on NHOOD screen. To stop flickering and have your AO work, firstly turn on smooth edges and tweak your graphics rules as shown in this post here .

I only know this to work with Origin version of ts2, but if anyone has gotten it to work without it, lmk bc it'd be greatly appreciated.

In-depth tutorial here .

Those Graphics Rules changes did in fact improve the depth buffer behavior greatly. I've also found an easier, and more beneficial way of installing Reshade in Sims 2. All you need is to add DXVK to Sims 2 and install Reshade for Vulkan games. DXVK also improves the stability of the game. Note that if you have a really outdated graphics card, you might not have any Vulkan support. I'll edit the main post accordingly.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
7th Sep 2020 at 12:21 AM
This message has been deleted by jadeisallama.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
4th Oct 2020 at 9:25 AM
This message has been deleted by Funderberker. Reason: Hello! I have a question: is this method only for people with the Sims 2 UC? I have all the sims 2 (except Mansion & Gard
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 9:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra107
Those Graphics Rules changes did in fact improve the depth buffer behavior greatly. I've also found an easier, and more beneficial way of installing Reshade in Sims 2. All you need is to add DXVK to Sims 2 and install Reshade for Vulkan games. DXVK also improves the stability of the game. Note that if you have a really outdated graphics card, you might not have any Vulkan support. I'll edit the main post accordingly.

DXVK did not fix any of my game problems so I will not recommend it for others.
Test Subject
#7 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 9:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlo-curious
DXVK did not fix any of my game problems so I will not recommend it for others.

Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. It's helped several people I know fix their games.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 12:15 AM
I came across this method thanks to a Tumblr post that has since apparently been deleted. I wanted to ask if it was possible to use this to apply Reshade to an Origin Ulitmate Collection version of the game, but one where the game launch .exe file had been run through the 4g Patch? Thanks in advance.
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortia
I came across this method thanks to a Tumblr post that has since apparently been deleted. I wanted to ask if it was possible to use this to apply Reshade to an Origin Ulitmate Collection version of the game, but one where the game launch .exe file had been run through the 4g Patch? Thanks in advance.

I successfully used the method 2 (ultimate asi) to install reshade d3d9 to my UC version, although I use a no-cd patched exe to bypass origin completely. I have also applied the 4gb patch.