Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2021 at 11:11 PM
Default Build a World Challenge
Hi everyone,

I've been working on this challenge for a while now, and it's finally done! It is a huge challenge, meant to last for months or even years. You start with a completely empty save file, and by the end your world is completely full with sims you've made and played with, their houses, and community lots you've built or picked from the gallery.

It can be played with the base game alone, but has rules for all the packs.

The idea is that you use your households to unlock the community lots, which then let you add more households and unlock even more community lots. I've laid out all the rules in detail on this blog: https://buildaworldchallenge.blogspot.com/

I also created a spreadsheet that you can use to keep track of everything and automatically shows what you've unlocked, which can be found on the blog as well. I started playing through the challenge myself, and have made a few blog posts about my starting households.

I would love any feedback from folks on the challenge and the rules, and whether anything needs to be clarified or could be improved.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 8:50 AM
Wow, this is very thought through, and if I weren't already deep into my own world building for rotating household purposes, this would be the challenge for me! The rules looks easy to comprehend I think, and I really like that you've centered it around the community lots, I find those much more interesting than residentials. The sim Denise looks very handsome in her outfit too.

A tip for lot assignments:
What I've done in my save is make use of the Residential lot to create all sorts of real life public venues, that the game, yet, have no distinct assignment for. So a 'hospital' is a Residential, with a live in doctor and nurse, in a house built as a medical clinic; a 'graveyard' is a Residential (Haunted House) with a live in grave keeper (and ghost roommates), built like a park like grave yard with a crypt; a 'prison' is a residential with a live in guard, and some inmates as roommates, and the build appropriately structured; a 'daycare' a residential with the day care personnel living there etc. The game allows for a lot of flexibility, and small features can be used to make it seem and act realistic.

The EL lot Community Space, designated a Community Garden, can be used as a place for all sims to access harvestables (a functioning community garden); the lot Museum I've used for cinema, and I'll build a church for congregations with this as well. Etc.
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 5:50 PM
This looks really interesting. I just started a blank save file, planning to do something similar. This is far more thorough! I want to change to your challenge rules. Unfortunately, I cannot open the spreadsheet. (I do not use that program). Can you post a screenshot on your blog so that I can create my own in Sheets?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2021 at 2:24 PM
This looks awesome!
Quote: Originally posted by manicallymottled
Hi everyone,

I've been working on this challenge for a while now, and it's finally done! It is a huge challenge, meant to last for months or even years. You start with a completely empty save file, and by the end your world is completely full with sims you've made and played with, their houses, and community lots you've built or picked from the gallery.

It can be played with the base game alone, but has rules for all the packs.

The idea is that you use your households to unlock the community lots, which then let you add more households and unlock even more community lots. I've laid out all the rules in detail on this blog: https://buildaworldchallenge.blogspot.com/

I also created a spreadsheet that you can use to keep track of everything and automatically shows what you've unlocked, which can be found on the blog as well. I started playing through the challenge myself, and have made a few blog posts about my starting households.

I would love any feedback from folks on the challenge and the rules, and whether anything needs to be clarified or could be improved.

Thank you!

This challenge looks awesome! I'll have to give it a try when I have finished my Legacy.
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2022 at 4:35 PM
Default Thank you!
Hands down the best challenge I've ever done. I'm almost finished with Willow Creek and can't stop playing. Thanks!
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 6:50 PM
Default Wow
This challenge is so in depth! I've spent my whole day off work playing my founding family. The only think i'm unsure of is how to unlock other residential locks. Couldn't figure it out from the rules/spreadsheet. It may just be me being a bit dim. If you could clarify that would be great.
Thanks for sharing though!
Test Subject
#7 Old 6th Mar 2022 at 7:06 PM
Will you be updating this for the Wedding Stories pack?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Nov 2022 at 2:58 PM
Hi, I'm trying to start this challenge but your blogspot blog seems to be missing! I downloaded the excel sheet when I first saw this, but I don't seem to have the rules PDF, do you still have a copy? Thank you!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 5th Nov 2022 at 3:20 PM
Hey @arrowsforpens The site is still available via the wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2022042...e.blogspot.com/
The challenge rules PDF is still available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kpqnlydz...les_2021.11.pdf
Spreadsheet is still available here for those who need it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfrifssaf...ge_2021.11.xlsx

Get it now in case those links expire!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Nov 2022 at 7:14 PM
@simsample thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 24th Sep 2023 at 1:58 AM
I have been contacted about possibly adopting this challenge and updating it for current and future packs. I'm thinking about it, if there's enough (or any) interest in it... or if my obsessive brain doesn't decide I need to do it just because I like the idea of this challenge.

(Yes, my screen name here is wyldhawke, however it's a very old account.. I go by IllusoryThrall now, and have a wordpress full of fun challenges and stories at https://illusorythrall.wordpress.com/ - as well as being a sims 4/variety Twitch streamer. I do have experience with long, complicated challenges, so I wasn't contacted in error.) Please, let me know if you're interested in seeing this challenge updated!
Test Subject
#12 Old 24th Sep 2023 at 11:08 AM
I'd love to see this updated too.
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Oct 2023 at 3:39 AM
Yes please!! You would be my absolute hero!