Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2023 at 5:21 PM
Default Make objects clusterable like trees?
Hi!

Is there a way to mod caw-objects into trees or plants so that you can cluster them (like you can do with trees)?

I am working on a saw mill/woodyard for my world and I am using (a lot of) the ‘stacked firewood’, only I’m pushing them together to make it look like stacked logs rather than stacked firewood. Seeing as I actually want to be able to play in my world without it crashing/lagging, having 200+ separate objects for just one thing seems extensive, and I would love to be able to group these objects together.

Does anyone know how to change the object into a clusterable object (tree or plant)?
Alternatively if anyone knows how to merge objects/make it longer or something so that I can place fewer of them…

If there is already a thread of something similar I would love to get a link, I just couldn't seem to find one.

Thanks in advance
/MadamCaw
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 1st Jun 2023 at 2:02 AM
The clustering idea sounds really useful, so I bow out for anyone with an idea of how to pull that off.

But in the interim, it would be pretty easy to duplicate meshes in Blender and arrange them how you want. You'd just have to follow an object making guide to assemble it into a new object.
The bonus of this is that you could remove any unseen faces (covered by other objects) for a lower polycount than all the individual pieces would have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2023 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
The clustering idea sounds really useful, so I bow out for anyone with an idea of how to pull that off.

But in the interim, it would be pretty easy to duplicate meshes in Blender and arrange them how you want. You'd just have to follow an object making guide to assemble it into a new object.
The bonus of this is that you could remove any unseen faces (covered by other objects) for a lower polycount than all the individual pieces would have.

That actually sounds like it could work!! Is there a tutorial available for how you would do that?
Instructor
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2023 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MadamCaw
That actually sounds like it could work!! Is there a tutorial available for how you would do that?

Object tools are little bit outdated, but there is still good info out there that will hopefully make it easier.

Personally, I do the mesh work in a modern version of blender (2.93) and then export it as .obj to use in the version of Blender that has a TS3 plugin (2.5-2.7).
So you could start with a general Blender tutorial, like this one, to get an idea of how to duplicate the pieces and delete what you don't need.
You can use TSRW to export the original log mesh as .obj and import that into Blender.

If switching programs is a little disorienting, Simple Mesh Replacement is a good start to follow along and simply skip any of the steps that don't apply to what you need to do.