Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#2001 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Let me just put this miserable, gloomy outlook out there; I fully expect the explorable temple to be a rabbit hole with text cards that you click through to "discover" things. It seems the easiest, and therefore most likely method to be able to have the rooms be different each time you visit. Just throw a bunch of text cards at the player that can be randomised each time you go.
I REALLY hope I am wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

They would at least have to throw one or two non-rabbit holes to get away with a pack that, which is solely based on text/change cards, their selling.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2002 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 5:55 PM
When I read that gp description I felt like i was reading an exact description of world adventures, but with three locations replaced by 1. I hated wa because that whole exploring/getting passed traps/finding rewards just seems like a different genre of game. Also wa content was really only good to do with one sim at a time. If you brought others with you they were basically just in the way which was no fun. And for me the pack got old really really fast. Once you had explored one tomb you had explored them all (not literally, just that what you were doing was so similiar that new tombs really didnt feel any different).

I really don’t see them being able to make exploration any more interesting this time around despite saying something about possibly randomizing areas to explore. Different layouts with the same exact traps and puzzles is still the same thing every time. And I wouldnt put it past them to just make all of it a rabbit hole anyway. Also itll probably be another single sim activity pack just like wa, so I’ll pass unless I like the build/buy and CAS items, but I definitely wontt buy it for the gameplay.
Field Researcher
#2003 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 6:10 PM
I am one of the few that really really liked World Adventures and the new gameplay elements it brought to the franchise, especially the gorgeous worlds and landmark lots and tombs it had. Also, the creativity it allowed players to exhibit when making custom tombs and stuff was very nice, so I'm quite excited for this game pack, and I'm glad it will showcase a new culture we haven't experienced before. Hopefully they don't downgrade World Adventure's tomb exploration mechanics and only make improvements...although I have my doubts. We shall see, I hope they drop a trailer soon.
Mad Poster
#2004 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 7:02 PM
While I can't say that I played WA that much, I got a LOT of use out of the hidden room marker in my builds. It was great for creating recesses behind fireplaces and having the walls stay up around them. It brought quite a lot of good building mechanics with it. The trigger system was great too although I never got that involved with using that.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Field Researcher
#2005 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 9:19 PM
This will be a mini WA in the jungle. I hope there will be several tombs and they will be interesting.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2006 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 11:08 PM
They should bring markers back, or have a menu with room flags in it when you select a room.

Click on a room:
[ ] Public Room
[ ] Hidden Room
[ ] Tomb
[ ] Apartment Unit A
[ ] Apartment Unit B
[ ] Apartment Unit C
[ ] Apartment Unit D
[ ] Retail A
[ ] Retail B
[ ] Retail C
[ ] Retail D

Would be nice...

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#2007 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 4:49 PM
Let me just put this miserable, gloomy outlook out there; I fully expect the explorable temple to be a rabbit hole with text cards that you click through to "discover" things. It seems the easiest, and therefore most likely method to be able to have the rooms be different each time you visit. Just throw a bunch of text cards at the player that can be randomised each time you go.
I REALLY hope I am wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah maybe I'm used to expecting the worse now, but my mind immediately thought that it will be off-screen. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't, to be honest.
Field Researcher
#2008 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 1:17 AM
The level of "Lazy" astounds me when it comes to TS4. and the Loyal TS4 followers are actually going to get excited about this GP aren't' they? They will pay money for it and EA will just take it as a pass to continue to destroy and mutilate the game. The Sims used to be hours upon hours of fun, surprise, and a place to completely immerse yourself.

I'm pretty sure that @Menaceman44 is right on the money with this one. EA and all it's Minions (gurus) will take the laziest, easiest way out and then proceed to pat themselves on the back and congratulate each other.

so how long before this train wreck is finally over? how many more EP's or GP's do they need to re-create and dumb down before finally calling it quits on this version?? Cause I don't think I can watch this shit anymore.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2009 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 3:32 AM
We’re already on the 4th year, which is usually the last year, IIRC. Maybe 5th?

4 Expansion Packs
5 Game Packs
13 Stuff Packs

Yet, we’re still missing features and it’ps a burden, apparently, to ask for content to return in a sequel. Hotels/Resorts, Seasons, Beaches, Fame, Magic, University... when is all of this coming?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#2010 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 4:14 AM
I remember when the tag line for TS4 was: TS4- wasted potential.

Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
I hope it doesn't suck

I hope this isn't the new tag line.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Field Researcher
#2011 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel
The level of "Lazy" astounds me when it comes to TS4. and the Loyal TS4 followers are actually going to get excited about this GP aren't' they? They will pay money for it and EA will just take it as a pass to continue to destroy and mutilate the game. The Sims used to be hours upon hours of fun, surprise, and a place to completely immerse yourself.

I'm pretty sure that @Menaceman44 is right on the money with this one. EA and all it's Minions (gurus) will take the laziest, easiest way out and then proceed to pat themselves on the back and congratulate each other.

so how long before this train wreck is finally over? how many more EP's or GP's do they need to re-create and dumb down before finally calling it quits on this version?? Cause I don't think I can watch this shit anymore.

I agree. Some of the sims 4 fans have been saying the new GP will be better than world adventures and have more stuff.

I reckon there’s still a lot of milk they can squeeze out their cash cow sadly.
Instructor
#2012 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 7:30 AM
The level of "Lazy" astounds me when it comes to TS4. and the Loyal TS4 followers are actually going to get excited about this GP aren't' they?

That is because right now GP are more interesting that expansions, they are smaller but when you look at City Living dont you ask yourself why wasnt that a GP? I am not even expecting much, might have some neat things like Parenthood but I do expect more that whatever comes out from the next Expansion.
Lab Assistant
#2013 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 1:16 PM
Okay, why so negative?

I really didn't care for vampires and pets in general but they were tons better than they have ever been before. I'm sure they'll do good with the jungle pack. The only downer with a pack like this, just like in sims 3, is that once you're done with the quest once, there's no point in doing it again.
Mad Poster
#2014 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 2:09 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 10th Feb 2018 at 3:03 PM. Reason: typo fix
Quote: Originally posted by Blue
Okay, why so negative?

I really didn't care for vampires and pets in general but they were tons better than they have ever been before. I'm sure they'll do good with the jungle pack. The only downer with a pack like this, just like in sims 3, is that once you're done with the quest once, there's no point in doing it again.

And it would be an even big downer since due to lack of world editing customization options and the (subjectively VERY little) amount of lots, which both are the big weakness in TS4 timeline, the players would get bored once more with another pack as all dungeons/temples would be complete, thus resulting in repetitiveness and little-replay value once again. If developers don't consider adding random regenerative dungeon layouts and meaningful rewards (so it isn't just a yielding plain sack of small simoleans that players would rather prefer doing pre-existing safer means of obtaining cash than carelessly sending sims to a dangerous jungle to obtain only extra bonus bucks), the hype isn't gonna last no longer than amounta month after GP is release, leaving the fanbase tired and once again blood-thirsty for new (gameplay) content.
Field Researcher
#2015 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
That is because right now GP are more interesting that expansions, they are smaller but when you look at City Living dont you ask yourself why wasnt that a GP? I am not even expecting much, might have some neat things like Parenthood but I do expect more that whatever comes out from the next Expansion.

Everything is Lazy... All the GP's, EP's and SP's... it's all Sub par. A little bit of this or that....$40 bucks please, $20 bucks please...No real game play, just a couple of new item that may or may not have an interaction with your sim. GP's may have "more" to offer than the others....but what is that telling you? EA has lowered the bar so close to the bottom that everything they crap out is just blindly acceptable. When you don't expect much from them...then that's what you get.

EA keeps dangling the Shit cupcake at you guys and you just throw money at it, hoping this time it will actually taste good. It's Shit people!!!!! It's never gonna taste good... it's gonna taste like shit. I don't care how they decorate the damn thing...It's Shit!!!
Mad Poster
#2016 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 12:01 PM
@thevogel
If you hate the game so much, what are you even doing here?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Scholar
#2017 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 3:52 PM
@thevogel
If you hate the game so much, what are you even doing here?

Whatever will be planned (not just gameplay, but also bang for the buck) for TS5 is dependent for a great deal on the financial success of TS4. So, if you care about the franchise but you hate how TS4 turned out, the worst what could happen is people throwing money at EA for TS4. Even if those people turn out to get bored really fast with the extra content. EA will only look if you will buy the next one too. How long you play with it, only devs care about that, not the people in charge. For example, if you would think that the content/gameplay is lacking but you buy their product anyway and the one after too, it is a success in EA's eyes and reason to keep continueing going down this road.

This creates this tricky situation where on one side you don't want to rain on someone's parade for having fun with TS4, but at the same time you rather see them not buying TS4 stuff at all and rather see them having fun with something else (TS2 or TS3 )
Field Researcher
#2018 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 4:06 PM

You simply don't like The Sims 4. There are many who enjoy it. Yes, us loyal TS4 followers are looking forward to this game pack. Go play The Sims 3,2, and 1. There are many games that I don't like but I'd never criticize someone for paying their money for those games.
Field Researcher
#2019 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
Whatever will be planned (not just gameplay, but also bang for the buck) for TS5 is dependent for a great deal on the financial success of TS4. So, if you care about the franchise but you hate how TS4 turned out, the worst what could happen is people throwing money at EA for TS4. Even if those people turn out to get bored really fast with the extra content. EA will only look if you will buy the next one too. How long you play with it, only devs care about that, not the people in charge. For example, if you would think that the content/gameplay is lacking but you buy their product anyway and the one after too, it is a success in EA's eyes and reason to keep continueing going down this road.

This creates this tricky situation where on one side you don't want to rain on someone's parade for having fun with TS4, but at the same time you rather see them not buying TS4 stuff at all and rather see them having fun with something else (TS2 or TS3 )

THIS!!!!!

This @Menaceman44 This is why I am here!!! To love this franchise for what is was and what it could've have been and what it still could be... and the frustration of watching everyone get used to and expect less from the team who created it... and think it's Okay to just continue giving them money. when everyone was screaming for Toddlers and tearing the game down and refusing to buy anything else until they got Toddlers...What happened? YOU GOT YOUR FREAKING TODDLERS!! So Why all the resignation in expecting anything else with quality. That's why I pop in there and say.... Shitty game! You really want to keep funding EA/Maxis ideas of how they think you should be playing their Game. I thought this was supposed to be our game. While all these discussion are going on about how could the game be better, and what do we want in the next version (IF there is a next version).... How about the fact that they have already destroyed a Sims Game... you really think they are thinking about the next version? All they are thinking about is how long they can keep charging us for a little content as possible... oh yeah... let's not forget... if they break it, they don't fix it.

I've always said, for the people who do genuinely like this game... that's fine. But even they should expect more for the money they are spending.
Lab Assistant
#2020 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alan650
You simply don't like The Sims 4. There are many who enjoy it. Yes, us loyal TS4 followers are looking forward to this game pack. Go play The Sims 3,2, and 1. There are many games that I don't like but I'd never criticize someone for paying their money for those games.

I like TS4 and I agree with them - mostly because they're just calling a spade a spade.

The idea of gameplay packs is literally the most money-grubbing idea and if, say, Sid Meier's Civilization, started releasing "gameplay" packs to supplement their "expansion packs" with content directly ripped from prior game expansions, there would be hell to pay. In the Sims case, it's just another way to pay EA. I have no idea why there wasn't enough of an uproar at the idea of gameplay packs just having half-assed content that we would have normally gotten from a full expansion, while a lot of our expansions are STILL half-assed - city living with the inability to even create apartments or even give us functioning elevators, or get to work with the most laughable excuse for a business.

You can like Sims 4 but still admit that, hey - this is an abomination and the fact that we accept this and pay money for less really speaks to our willingness to eat crap because there's no better alternative. OR maybe you jsut don't remember the full expansion packs of the Sims 3 or Sims 2. Sims 1, as well. This iteration of the series is nothing but a slap in the face to the loyal customers of the older games.

You're free to be loyal but don't say someone simply "hates" the game when they're just calliing it like it is. The game is an insult to it's customers intelligence. But that's why their primary age range is 11-16.
Forum Resident
#2021 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:40 PM
Oh, checking the forums after a while away. Weird to see the same comments from the same people throwing impossible ideias while laughing at the game's development. It's been 4 years at that, I guess you can say you enjoy at least that part of TS4? I mean, I suppose 4 years is enough to move on if that wasn't the case Anyway, the game has had its troubles and shortcomings, but game packs are usually spot on.
Forum Resident
#2022 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aa74ever
You can like Sims 4 but still admit that, hey - this is an abomination and the fact that we accept this and pay money for less really speaks to our willingness to eat crap because there's no better alternative. OR maybe you jsut don't remember the full expansion packs of the Sims 3 or Sims 2. Sims 1, as well. This iteration of the series is nothing but a slap in the face to the loyal customers of the older games.

You're free to be loyal but don't say someone simply "hates" the game when they're just calliing it like it is. The game is an insult to it's customers intelligence. But that's why their primary age range is 11-16.

It really depends on one's opinions, though. I personally think TS4 EPs are usually terrible, except for Cats & Dogs I suppose. But TS3 EPs aren't all that either. Yeah, they were triple the size but the systems hardly worked properly. Everything about TS3 was broken to its core, let's not pretend that mods weren't necessary to stop the game from frying your computer. Not to mention that horrible, horrible cash-grab store. People usually say TS4 is milking that cow by cutting content into smaller packs, but that is hardly any worse than what the store was, with worlds costing as much as an EP, broken "premium" content being released with no shame or care, those "farms" sets all broken down into smaller overpriced bundles and even recolors of other assets were being sold, even though CAST had threw the recoloring system out of the picture. That was certainly the series lower point to date.

So, to me, personally, TS3 was the generation that insulted costumers' intelligence the most. That entire generation was broken and careless. You can say TS4 is lacking content, but I'd rather have them working than having to deal with the game's absurd technical shortcomings. So it's all a matter of perspective, in the end. You say TS4 is a slap in the face of a loyal fanbase, I say TS3 was. There's not other way around it.
Lab Assistant
#2023 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
Oh, checking the forums after a while away. Weird to see the same comments from the same people throwing impossible ideias while laughing at the game's development. It's been 4 years at that, I guess you can say you enjoy at least that part of TS4? I mean, I suppose 4 years is enough to move on if that wasn't the case Anyway, the game has had its troubles and shortcomings, but game packs are usually spot on.

The problem is that people see prior releases of the game as "impossible ideas." That's why TS4's lack of content/broken content/unfinished content(please don't tell me Get To Work's business system is finished, that is a steaming load of garbage and with this Dev team, they will never add anything to it - they acted like it was a FAVOR to add Toddlers when it's been in the series since Sims 2) is acceptable.

Gameplay packs shouldn't even exist.

If they added something new, sure. But, as it stands:

Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day = Portions of Sims 2's Bon Voyage.
Dine Out, Vampires = Portions of Sims 2's NightLife.
Parenthood = Portion of Sims 2 Base Game + Portion of Sims 3's Generations.

Hell, Get Together AND City Living was a ragtag of both Sims 2 NightLife in two different expansions. And they still don't match the amount of gameplay in that single expansions, even though they split it up.

With the knowledge of the past, it makes it difficult to simply accept the Sims 4's idea of development.
Forum Resident
#2024 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:52 PM
^ Great TS2 examples, I too think that's the series high point.
Lab Assistant
#2025 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rodrigues
It really depends on one's opinions, though. I personally think TS4 EPs are usually terrible, except for Cats & Dogs I suppose. But TS3 EPs aren't all that either. Yeah, they were triple the size but the systems hardly worked properly. Everything about TS3 was broken to its core, let's not pretend that mods weren't necessary to stop the game from frying your computer. Not to mention that horrible, horrible cash-grab store. People usually say TS4 is milking that cow by cutting content into smaller packs, but that is hardly any worse than what the store was, with worlds costing as much as a EP, broken "premium" content being release with no shame or care, those "farms" sets all broken down into smaller overpriced bundles and even recolors of other assets, even though CAST had threw the recoloring system out of the picture.

To me, TS3 was the generation that insulted costomers intelligence the most. That entire generation was broken. You can say TS4 is lacking richer content, but I'd rather have them working than having to deal with the game's technical shortcomings. So it's all a matter of perspective, in the end. You say TS4 is a slap in the face of a loyal fanbase, I say TS3 was. There's not other way around it.

Hey, you responded to me when I was responding to you! How fun!

I also think TS4 EPs are godawful. The Cats & Dogs one annoys me. I admit TS3 had some issues with stability after awhile - like some folks' computers just EXPLODED, but we're not talking about stability right now. Also, we're several years ahead - we should be able to create expansions without breaking the whole game.

The Dev Team in TS3's willingness to say, "yeah this is broken but whatever," was a slap in the face of another kind, imo. There are both issues but right now the issue here is content.

And from what i recall, people were livid about TS3's store and it was so accepted that popular Simmers of the time would openly post links to The Booty for the store content.

Edit: EA's idea of bug fixing has always been terrible, though. TS2 was literally a ticking time bomb after enough EPs and the infamous "hug bug" would just destroy your game. I am confused by EA.
Page 81 of 185