Character Values Overhaul
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...
36,490 Downloads 490 Thanks Thanks 221 Favourited 89,558 Views
Personal Picked Upload! This is a personal favourite of the creator!
Uploaded 29th Aug 2021 at 7:32 PM · Updated 20th Mar 2022 at 5:00 PM by tyjokr
No update needed for patch 1.85.203The Character Value (CV) system introduced in Parenthood is underdeveloped and hasn’t been updated in years. Currently, only 12 traits out of the 50+ traits available to Sims have an impact on CVs. Also, if a child ages up with a worrisome trait like “Evil,” their existing CVs will remain largely unchanged. This mod corrects that and goes several steps further.
What This Mod Does
- All traits (including Toddler Traits and expansion pack Traits) impact Character Values when a Sim is first created.
- Rebalances points needed for earning Parenthood Traits (more info below)
- Randomization to ensure that no two Sims are exactly alike.
- Character Values now decay over time (very slowly).
- Sims with a Character Value in the red behave as if they have the associated negative Trait.
- ex: a Child Sim with -20 points in Responsibility will behave and roll whims as if they had the Irresponsible trait.
- When a Sim ages up, the trait they age up with impacts their Character Values. (Requires XML Injector)
- Without XML Injector, a Sim's Character Values are only impacted when they are first created in CAS or when they age from a Baby to a Toddler.
- All of the boring Character Value notifications ("Sim is in range to earn Responsible trait") have been replaced with 30+ livelier ones
- As punishment for poor parenting, certain reward traits are blocked for Sims who have Character Values in the red and Sims who have negative Parenthood Traits (Insensitive, Bad Manners, etc).
- If you have Outdoor Retreat, put both the BlockRewardsAddOn file and the BlockRewardsAddOn_GP01 file into your Mods folder
Compatibility Update: 12/04/21
- Incorporated Zero_PH_Parenthood_Fixes into the mod per request. Delete that mod if you're using this one as it's not needed.
BUG FIX Update: 9/11/21
- Fixed an issue that could cause a Sim to gain and lose Character Values every time a new lot was loaded.
- Teens aging into Young Adults will be less likely to receive notifications about their Character Values changing and will be less likely to have their Character Values change at the last minute.
- Your new Young Adult will still have a subtle, last-minute shift in Character Values if you choose: Evil, Mean, Good, Insane/Erratic, Jealous, Self Assured, Slob, Neat, Childish, Perfectionist, Outgoing, or Hot Headed.
- Added German translation by granatapfelsaft
- Added 30+ Custom Notifications
- The default notifications were boring and needed an overhaul IMO. "Sim is in range to earn Emotional Control trait." "Sim is out of range to earn Irresponsible trait." These lame notifications have been replaced for the English version of the game.
- You will now receive a notification when your Sim has earned one of the hidden "Developing" traits that come with this mod.
- You will now be notified when your Sim has earned enough points for a hidden "Developing" trait to be removed.
- Rebalanced points for Child and Teen Sims created in CAS
- Child Sims created in CAS should no longer have an excessive amount of CV points when first placed in game.
- Teen Sims created in CAS should now have less excessive values as well, but still enough to imply that they've been alive for awhile (and enough to earn negative Parenthood traits).
- For those with XML Injector, the points Toddler and Child Sims earn on age up is largely the same as it was previously.
- Added the new High Maintenance Trait from Spa Day
- Impacts Emotional Control, Empathy, and Conflict Resolution.
- separated BlockRewardsAddOn into two packages
- necessary to correct an error that could occur for those who do not have GP01/Outdoor Retreat installed
- blacklisted Child sims from getting the Ignore Bills whim
- added whim support for those who have Basemental Mods
- modified hidden "developing" trait strings to better reflect what they are
More Detailed Information
Character Value points rewarded by traits are balanced
I spent a lot of time balancing all of the traits relative to one another so that the CV points they award make sense gameplay-wise. Rest assured that “Evil” will net your Sim the largest amount of negative points, “Good” will net your Sim the largest amount of positive points and Hobby traits will net your Sim the least amount of CV points. I also made it so that Teen Sims won't receive as many points from a Trait as a Child does since their development is much farther along.
In addition to the above, I've weighted the values of every trait to both balance out the different CVs and (hopefully) add a bit more challenge to raising children. For instance, since Responsibility is generally considered the easiest Character Value to raise, traits that positively impact it are weighted low to account for that. Similarly, traits that negatively impact Conflict Resolution are weighted low as it is generally considered to be the hardest Character Value to raise.
Basically, everything is appropriately balanced.
Points needed to earn negative and positive Parenthood Traits have been modified
Without my mod, a teen needs at least -90 in any character value to age up with a negative trait and at least +90 to age up with a positive trait. I've changed this so that it's easier for a Sim to age up with a negative trait.
- Points needed for earning negative traits from CVs has been lowered to -65 for all CVs.
- Points needed for earning positive traits from CVs has been lowered to 80 for Responsibility and Manners, 75 for Empathy, and 65 for Emotional Control and Conflict Resolution.
The CV system also dictates autonomy somewhat. For example, if a child Sim has high enough Manners, they'll start setting the table. I've lowered the amount of points a Sim needs in order for these different levels of autonomy to kick in. So you should see your Sims behaving in better accordance with their Character Values.
Randomness of values
In the vanilla game, Sims born or created in CAS start out with a random value in each CV anywhere from -5 to 5. In my opinion, this isn't really that dynamic of a range. I've increased the range to be from -30 to 30 for most CVs.
Whims, autonomy, and integration with other mods
Sims who have at least -20 in a character value will be passed a hidden "Developing" trait that mirrors the negative Parenthood Traits. For example, a Teen Sim with -35 in Manners will behave and roll whims as if they had the "Bad Manners" trait. If that same Sim consistently works on developing their Empathy (at least 20 points in the positive direction), the hidden trait will be removed and they will then behave as normal.
In an attempt to flesh out the impact of Character Values a bit more, I've added more Whims for Irresponsible and Insensitive sims. For those who use Bienchen's sims4me_whimoverhaul, my mod is fully compatible with it. I highly recommend that mod as it adds more Whims for Responsible, Mediator, Good Manners, Bad Manners, Argumentative, and Compassionate. Download here.
Play Hooky/Skip Work
Public Woohoo (Will only show up if you have MissyHissy's Custom Whims . It is not required to use my mod.)
Go Streaking (Will only show up if you have MissyHissy's Custom Whims . It is not required to use my mod.)
Throw A Party (Will only show up if you have MissyHissy's Custom Whims. It is not required to use my mod.)
Do *** (Will only show up if you have certain Basemental mods. It is NOT required to use my mod.)
Do *** At Club (Will only show up if you have certain Basemental mods. It is NOT required to use my mod.)
Sims with a "Developing Irresponsible" trait are now blocked from rolling any Homework-related Whims.
Adult Sims with the Irresponsible trait are now blocked from rolling the "Help with Homework" Whim.
Break It Off (Break up/divorce current partner)
I will look to add more in the future.
Optional Add On: Block Rewards
Want consequences for your game? With this add on, Young Adult, Adult, and Elder Sims that have aged up with a negative Parenthood Trait will be restricted from purchasing certain reward traits. Toddler, Child, and Teen Sims with -20 points in any Character Value will also be restricted from these reward traits. Only if you manage to raise a Toddler, Child, and Teen Sim's Character Values to +20 will they be able to purchase the traits again.
The blocked rewards are as follows:
Needs No One
Incredibly Friendly (Requires GP01/Outdoor Retreat)
Character Values are now impacted by all Traits
Traits that impact Responsibility
Perfectionist (most positive)
Lazy (most negative)
Traits that impact Manners
Proper (most positive)
Child of the Islands
Slob (most negative)
Traits that impact Empathy
Good (most positive)
Child of the Islands
Child of the Ocean
Evil (most negative)
Traits that impact Emotional Control
Self-Assured (most positive)
Insane/Erratic (most negative)
Traits that impact Conflict Resolution
Insider (most positive)
Hot-Headed (most negative)
Toddler Traits are weighted differently from other Traits as they serve as the basis of a Sim's Character Values. As such, they are capped so that the maximum amount of points they can grant in either direction of a Character Value is 45. That combined with the random starting value means that there is a slight chance Toddler's will be in range of earning a negative Parenthood Trait when they age up from a baby and/or are created in CAS. Parents, get to work!
This mod is NOT compatible with my Lower Threshold for Parenthood Traits mod. This mod is intended to replace that one.
This mod is not compatible with Zero_PH_Parenthood_Fixes. I've incorporated Zero's fix into this mod.
Despite the emphasis on traits in this mod, no trait files have been modified. The main files this mod modifies are the lifeSkillStatisitc XMLs and the LifeSkills_Autonomy buff XMLs. I've yet to encounter another mod that touches these. I've also taken care to make sure that the Whims and Whim Sets my mod touches does not conflict with anything Bienchen's "sims4me_whimoverhaul" touches.
My mod is compatible with mods that increase or decrease the rate at which you gain/lose Character Value points. This includes the difficulty adjustment setting found in MCCC.
For an added challenge, you can use my mod with Kuttoe's "mini mod: parenthood hard mode". But, be warned. You'll be seeing a lot of red!
The BlockRewardsAddOn doesn't touch the actual Trait XMLs of the reward traits. It only modifies the Reward Tuning XMLs. So it should also be compatible with any mods that edit the Reward Traits directly.
Some features of this mod require XML Injector
My mod will work fine without it, but if you want ALL the features of this mod, you just need to make sure that you have "XmlInjector_Script_v4.ts4script" in your mods folder. If you already have it, you're golden. If you don't, you can download it here.
If you're hesitant to download XML Injector, you can learn more about it here.
Made with Sims 4 Studio
German translation by granatapfelsaft
Size: 133.5 KB · Downloads: 25,184 · 5th Dec 2021
|133.5 KB||25,184||5th Dec 2021|
| If you have Outdoor Retreat, use BOTH files included in the zip
Size: 14.2 KB · Downloads: 11,247 · 2nd Sep 2021
|14.2 KB||11,247||2nd Sep 2021|
- - File was updated after upload was posted
Basic Download and Install Instructions:
Need more information?
1. Download: Click the File tab to see the download link. Click the link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.
Read the upload description for installation instructions. If nothing else is specified, do the following:
2. Extract: Use(Windows) to extract the .package file(s) (if included, ts4script as well) from the .rar or .zip file(s).
3. Cut and paste the .package file(s) (if included, ts4script as well) into your Mods folder
- Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\
- Windows Vista/7/8/8.1: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\
Need more information?
- Anyone can use both .rar and .zip files easily! On Windows, use WinRAR.
- If you don't have a Mods folder, just make one.
- Mod still not working? Make sure you have script mods enabled
Also Thanked - Users who thanked this download also thanked:
Contact me on Discord: tyjokr#8223
Feel free to contact me for any Sims or mod related reason.