Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 9th Oct 2005 at 7:30 PM Last edited by Numenor : 9th Oct 2005 at 7:35 PM.
RGiles reported some times ago that UVmapper Pro has great problems in dealing with non-square images.
I can suggest a workaround:
1) save the template in 512x512, then resize it with your paint program and lastly create a 256x512 texture that fits the resized template;
2) load the 256x512 texture into UVmapper Pro; if the image looks stretched, and this disturbs your work, you can resize the window, until in the Status Bar you can read an Aspect Ratio of 1.00 (note: the Aspect Ratio is shown only when you have loaded a texture and a model);
3) adjust the object parts over the texture.

As for your second question, as far as I know, UVmapper Pro can't stretch a selection in only one direction. I do that manually.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#27 Old 9th Oct 2005 at 7:35 PM
Thanks, I thought I was just being stupid and couldn't find the option in the menus. I don't know why it bothers letting you save the template in a different proportion to the way it saved your map! If it lets you use your own texture checker, then I can make myself one where the squares are twice the width, so I can still get the proportions correct.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 9th Oct 2005 at 7:36 PM
Sorry, our messages overlapped. I've edited my previous message a little.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Part-time Hermit
#29 Old 9th Oct 2005 at 7:51 PM
I've been considering buying UVMapper Pro, but if handling non-square maps is so complicated with it, I don't think I'm going to spend money on that. UV mapping is painful enough already :gonemad: . At least I can still do that with the Classic version, even though the lack of an Undo function is a problem.
Space Pony
#30 Old 30th Oct 2005 at 3:01 AM
Me again, cos tho I clicked thanks the other day when I read this tutorial, I didn't realise then how much it would help me - and I just had to come back and say THANK YOU sooo much for this mini-tutorial... it was wonderfully set out and easy to understand - and it really made everything go CLICK in me brains - it did, it did!! :D

Yes I'm strange, cos I think UV Mapping has become one of my fave things to do at the moment, lolol! I really enjoy that part of making a mesh now, since I read this information.

So, thank you again so much for your hard work.... I've read just about every word you've ever written on these forums in trying to figure this whole object creation etc etc stuff all out I'm very grateful!

If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so astonished!
Field Researcher
#31 Old 30th Oct 2005 at 3:04 AM
wow ty so much. you made it very easy for me to understand
ty for doing this

anita

I got a new fantastic web host. right here on MTS.
TY Delphy. i loooove it here :)
my new web adress is simsistic
check it out for more free downloads ;)
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 3rd Nov 2005 at 2:03 PM
I found some excellent video tutorials by Trp.Jed using LithUnwrap if anyone is interested.

The files are fairly large [33MB and 120MB] so a fast connection is needed.

They can be found here:

http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/s...&threadid=31869
Space Pony
#33 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:00 AM
Hi

Is it possible to just do a UV remapping? What I mean is using SimPE - export the GMDC, do the UV remap & then just import it back in? I think this should work but I am having problems with it. The UV mapping is correct & it does show up in the game but the problem I am having is that the car moves along the street bit the driver & windshileds are moveing slightly slower than the car - it's weird.

Perhaps i am just not checking the right options when I do the Export/Import. I don't know.

If I use the MeshTool the car stays as only one piece but then it reverts back to the previous UV mapping - it just totally ignores what chanhges I made.

Any ideas would be appreciated - I'm not really looking for someone to look at this - mostly I'm just asking for suggestions

Thanks!

Moraguu
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 11:20 AM
I've done what you ask about very often (exporting the mesh as .obj, fixing the UVmap and reimporting via the MeshTool), and I never had problems. As for SimPE, there are no specific options for Exporting the mesh. The same applies to the MeshTool: I never change any option, just import the mesh into the GMDC in "Advanced View".

If you use SimPE to re-import the mesh, than you can't use the .obj format: you have to export and import in Milkshape 3D Ascii (.txt), or extracht the entire GMDC and import it in Milkshape with the proper GMDC plugin. In both cases, you are bound to use Milkshape, that doesn't allow you to remake the UVmap...
I suggest to use the MeshTool.

Anyway, the problem you describe (some parts that "move slower" thatn the main body) is new to me: if the joint assignments get somehow corrupted, the parts won't move at all...

Space Pony
#35 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:56 PM
Thanks Numenor I'l work on it some more today. LOL - it was pretty funny seeing the car move like that!

I'm using Ultimate Unwrap for the UV mapping - I really like it so far. I'll report back & let you know what happenes.

Thank you!

Morague
Inventor
#36 Old 15th Dec 2005 at 1:43 AM Last edited by Reyn : 15th Dec 2005 at 2:15 AM. Reason: Question answered on own.
Nevermind. I have learned something important - when meshing seperate pieces, don't have them intersect. Making it flush instead fixed it and so it wasn't a mapping problem at all, but a mesh one. :santa:

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 3:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem for uv-mapping a plane (err... well that's the name I found in Milkshape, after the "box" button.) because when I click "edit > new uv map > box" in UVMapper I can see a face but I don't know if it's the front or the back (I think that's the front) and I'd like to know if I can separate both front and back (NB : "split front/back" is still checked).

Does anyone know ?

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
Fluffy
retired moderator
#38 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 4:16 PM
ben,
a plane mesh usually only has one side, the 'back' side has no face and will be transparent
that's why uv-mapper refuses to map it. If you want a double sided plane, make another one and 'stick' it to the back of the one you have
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 4:24 PM
Ahh... OK thanks Lethe ! Once again you can help me !

So an object's shadow is a plane too, isn't it ? But how can I be sure that the face that will be uv-mapped is the good one ?

I'll try it then. I want to make a "poster"

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
Fluffy
retired moderator
#40 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 4:30 PM
if you have two faces,
use the 'plane' button in UV-mapper instead of box
depending on whether or not you want a different backside of the poster,
split front and back
if you don't, they'll both be mapped to the same spot, so front and back will have the exact same image
if you split them, just colour both rectangles differently and test ingame which is the front

if you only have one face, it's automatically the good one
Field Researcher
#41 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 4:42 AM
Numenor: Thanks This helped me finish an object that wasnt lookign right.

Come have a look at my downloads HERE for Sims 4 downloads.

Feel free to visit my website to check out my list of creations, to get in touch (for a request), or to donate. HERE

(Or here for sims 2 or here for sims 3 downloads.)
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 4:10 AM Last edited by darylmarkloc : 25th Mar 2006 at 11:55 PM. Reason: correction
Default UV-Mapper Classic - Additional Info & Hints
Coloring individual vertex groups:

If your object is complex, make more and many groups in your 3 D program. It won't hurt and provides enormously much more flexible UV-Mapping possibilities. They will get regrouped when you import back in to eliminate the material groups anyway. but to UV-Mapper, if you keep the MTL file (or whatever file your 3D program generates for material groups), they will always be re-mappable as individual components

When you first open your object in UV-Mapper, choose from the menu options Edit >>> Color >>> Material - each individual group will be a different color and much easier to see against the others.

When you have done that, drag the cursor around everything and use the '/' key on the numeric keypad to shrink the whole object down to a tiny box, maybe 20x20 pixels or 10 by 10, and move it to a corner of the screen. your mesh is still with you, it is out of the way leaving you nearly the whole screen to work with and each part is still selectable when required.

When you 'select by material', put the cursor over the tiny box, and it will change to the cross..slide it to the centre of the screen and then tap the numeric keypad asterisk '*' until it is larger - and there will be only that part of the mesh you selected by color! Finer adjustments smaller or larger can be made with the '+' and '-' keys. You can of course also hand drag, but using those keys will preserve whatever perspective UV-Mapper has applied. Selecting 'scale' when mapping sometimes preserves the correct perspective, and sometimes not.

Using these methods you can re-map individual components of your mesh, change their relationship to each other for UV-mapping purposes and so on.

Making your square, square and your circle, circular

UV-Mapper Classic doesn't have a grid which hinders re-shaping a distorted object or portion of an object. What I have done, to ensure my basic shapes are correct, is create a series of small 256*256 BMP's of several basic shapes (circle, square, triangle etc) black against white. I import this into UV-Mapper as a background 'CTRL-B' and shape my part to the shape of the background image (the background image itself can be rotated or flipped as well). Once I have the right shape, it can be resized using the '+' and '-' keys and retain it's perspective. It may be the shape looks squashed or stretched, but by matching your object shape to the background shape you can be 100% sure, it will come out the correct shape when textured.

Rotation:

UV-Mapper Classic DOES allow rotation of an object although I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that it doesn't. To rotate a part, select it by material, select 'rotate' from the menu, enter the required degrees against the axis required, and then making sure the part of your object you want to rotate is still selected, re-map it. If you have done it right, the selected portion of your mesh will now be rotated. WARNING: Before mapping the next selection, go back to 'rotate' and enter '0' where you had previously entered a rotation value or your new selection will also rotate.

This means you can of course, have a completely different UV-Map for each individual component on the same page.

UV-Mapper Classic is much more flexible than its simple interface might suggest. I hope these additional hints help as well

I live vicariously through my Sims. This is a sad reflection on my life and theirs.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 9:43 AM
Darylmarkloc - Thanks a million for the additional info! I wasn't sure if all those feature were active in the Classic version, too (I mainly use the Pro).
I'm going to add a link to your post in the main page.

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 9:49 AM
Great thread Has reveiled some things for me, thanks for a partial enlightenment!

Have a few questions regarding the mapping and painting process...

After flattening the mapping and arranging the UV's, what format do I have to save the file as? I am using 3dsmax8, can it be done with this app alone and without mapper classic? Texture baking?

When painting the textures in graphics program, do you have to cover only the designated squares (object mapped pieces) and leave the rest white or untouched? If not (which I'm thinking) then how do I say add a design to one part of many of the same piece of mapped geometry and know where exactly it will end up being rendered finally?

Please help!!
Part-time Hermit
#45 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 9:56 AM
You need to only texture the mapped parts, although it's probably a good idea to have a safe marginal so that when the texture image gets resized for the smaller "mip maps", you won't get any odd streaks. I personally usually paste the texture to fill the whole image even if not all of it gets used.

You can have the uv-map image as a separate layer over your texture that you're working on that you can toggle to be visible and invisible to get an idea where each part of your texture will end up at.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 7:29 AM
Yes! Was hoping someone was going to confirm that

One quick last question, what format does the UV map have to be exported as from max, is it dds? (Just got the plug in and utilities from link here.)

Cheers
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#47 Old 12th May 2006 at 8:11 PM
I have a rather silly question here- when you map a UV model, if you stretch/shrink shapes, and you apply a texture to them that is in proportion, will it stretch in game?

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 14th May 2006 at 1:06 AM
When you stretch a mesh, without changing anything in the UVmapping and in the texture, in game the texture will look stretched.

Test Subject
#49 Old 15th May 2006 at 3:07 AM
Thanks for explaining UV mapping! This helps me alot!
Test Subject
#50 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfan3ds
what format does the UV map have to be exported as from max, is it dds?

Can someone please tell me about this? I'm reasonably proficient in Max, and my thing (tutorial table) is perfectly mapped there. I'm just trying to put a different texture on the legs and the top part.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, since it's losing its mapping coordinates along the way. I haven't been able to find out what by looking through the forum...
Page 2 of 4