Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 9:48 AM
Default Does nectar really age better in a cellar?
Anybody happen to know this? There's a loading screen tip that says it does, but it might just be flavor text. I've been keeping my nectar racks underground, but it would be more convenient to have em in the kitchen or dining room
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 10:16 AM
I guess it'd be easy to test - stick a bottle of the same nectar from the same batch in the same rack in a cellar and not in a cellar, and come back in a couple sim-weeks and see how the value's changed. I had D look through some of the code for nectar making and he didn't see anything about cellars/basements being better for aging but the code's pretty complicated.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#3 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 10:36 AM
It does. There is a bonus assigned to aging it for burying it to the bottom of the basement. I don't know what it is or how it applies, because, as mentioned, it's complicated, but it's there and hopefully not inert.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 11:04 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 12th Dec 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Great, thank you both Now I gotta add cellars... EVERYWHERE. Pes, does "burying it to the bottom of the basement" mean that it will age better at basement level two or three or four?
Scholar
#5 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
does "burying it to the bottom of the basement" mean that it will age better at basement level two or three or four?

There is a tuning constant kBasementAppreciationPerLevel, "Bonus multiplier to appreciate per level below ground", so this is likely.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 4:51 AM
Jeeze, lol. So I have to make DEEP basements everywhere. Or at least, the more alcoholic of my sims do.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#7 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 4:55 AM
To be fair, drilling a deep basement isn't really onerous. You just build the non-used levels as staircolumns.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Banned
#8 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 5:58 AM
Ha, as I clicked this i thought "How obnoxious would it be if the lowest level gets the best result? Wasted space much?", since we dont have elevators or spiral stairs or teleporters.

Though I guess a 2x...7? 8? area for each basement just to have two stair sets isn't that big of a deal.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 5:59 PM
Even though I didn't know about the option of 4X deep basement, my sims were keeping two racks anyway-- One in the kitchen/dining area, and several others in the main basement. I'd put most nectars to age in the basement, and a sample bottle or two in the "serving" rack, just to avoid the long jog downstairs and back.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#10 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
Ha, as I clicked this i thought "How obnoxious would it be if the lowest level gets the best result? Wasted space much?", since we dont have elevators or spiral stairs or teleporters.
Space-waste is almost wholly irrelevant with basements. The usual desire to conserve "space" is due to the fact that the surface structure of your house is limited in how large you can make it without either consuming the entire yard or otherwise creating an aesthetically unpleasant appearance of having your lot squatted on by a giant cube. Basementing, however, has no such limitations. A simple 20x30 lot contains 18x28x4 levels of totally free, usable space, so even the tiniest lot has a simply massive amount of space available now. Plus it just seem so much more natural to be building underground. People were never meant to be permanently above ground like that.

Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 6:53 PM Last edited by Goldhorizon : 13th Dec 2009 at 7:03 PM. Reason: more specs
Default Basement depth does not matter for aging nectar
I have tested aging in regards to basements and basement depth:

- Nectar does age much faster in any basement and will age slightly when keep in your personal inventory

I tested whether the depth of the basement aged nectar faster if deeper:
- I placed one rack on basement level 1 and another rack on basement level 4
- I used the same bottles from the same batch and the same best nectar rack on both levels
- I checked both locations and all nectar bottles frequently as I played my game for many, many weeks

Result: All bottles aged at the same rate and continued to increase in price equally (not one dollar price different - both remained the same price as they aged up)

So, one basement deep for aging nectar is the same as four basements deep

Edit:

- I do see there is a bonus multiplier line (as mentioned above) but perhaps it is not functioning properly

- I do not have any CC content in my game (purely base Sims 3 game and Sims 3 World Adventure expansion pack with all Sims 3 site patches installed - so nothing that would be changing any current results)
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 2:44 AM
Thanks goldhorizon Good to know!
Banned
#13 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Space-waste is almost wholly irrelevant with basements.

I was thinking more about cost. Bigger space = higher cost.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 4:45 AM
Cost really isn't an issue. At least not after a point ... I have sims who are millionaires and never actually held a job. They just.. skilled mostly. Painted and sold things, gardened, found stars, wrote books, ect.

I LOOK for expensive things they can sink money into.

And with the no bills ever lifetime award thing.. there runs a possibility of having everything and more, and nothing to buy.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#15 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
I was thinking more about cost. Bigger space = higher cost.
A tile of basement space has an almost negligible cost, about on par with laying a foundation tile. It is FAR cheaper than a $70 surface wall.

Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 5:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moryrie
Cost really isn't an issue. At least not after a point ...

WA kinda makes money too easy to get, too. Travel is cheap, and the amount of money you can get from selling what you pick up -- as well as straight cash payment for quests -- is insane. Particularly if you transmute your low-end gems to insanely valuable soulpeaces.

Plus, of course, you can skill off the clock when you're on vacation :/

However, start a new sim out of the box, or pick up one of the townie families, and it does take a while to get em established.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 6:02 AM
I've never really had that problem. Even my legacy families were swimming in cash before the 2nd gen. I wasn't actually building them a home... but they did have the best of everything on their lawn. x.X ..

Bleh. I think travel costs should be more than double what the game made them. Something closer to realworld costs. Going to Japan for 3 weeks for instance.. (school thing, classes included..) costs 5.8k. Yes, there might be a cheaper package somewhere, but since sim money is so easy to get in comparison, the prices should be closer to the same.

Is there any mod to increase the cost of a vacation yet anyway?
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 10:53 PM
Has anyone been able to sell any bottles of Nectar? If so, where?
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 7:59 AM
You can sell nectar the normal way... by dragging em onto the simolean sign in the inventory, or deleting them in world.
Inventor
#20 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Plus it just seem so much more natural to be building underground. People were never meant to be permanently above ground like that.

Do you know many people living naturally underground?
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 11:34 PM
Pescado claims to live in a subterranean bunker. It's part of his mythos.
Inventor
#22 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Pescado claims to live in a subterranean bunker. It's part of his mythos.

Maybe something like this?

Underground house
Test Subject
#23 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purity4

Do you know many people living naturally underground?

I recon most people with small incomes and big roofs think about it in a semi-serious way a few times a year... an underground home with a solid rock roof- excellent.