Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 628 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 6:30 PM Last edited by Ecca : 21st Mar 2020 at 8:54 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Problem with custom Arches / Glass Paneled doors
I'm starting this thread after reading this one (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=639353 ) for it's something I've seen in my own game as well but in a different way...

I'm bunked in my house for the Covid and I'm actually building a new NH complete with houses.
While I was building I noticed that many custom windows (also arches and glass paneled doors) don't let light into rooms.
Worst, some when placed (for example the store deco window) give the room a darker shade!
(see the image, basegame window, store deco window and windkeeper la fenetre add-on)

Before someone asks my setting are all on high and I have shadows on;
I've recently remade my Graphic Rules and Video Card files for I had to change my GPU.
The above .sgr files have been set as 'read-only' and my game looks and works beautifully.

This glitch is something I already had with my previous GPU and with the same Custom made content.

My Google searching is not helping...is there a tutorial to fix this problem?
It is fixable at all?

Thanks to anyone who might know the answer!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 8:56 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 20th Mar 2020 at 9:27 PM.
You'll need the storelights.nlo file to go along with the actual content files. 

I have the file, originally from MATY, https://app.box.com/s/r88b3cu78wced7tk8ft36u2i1p526jxt, to install you will need to have teh scriptorium installed. After some discussion we have found another option, a package file, so you don't need to install scriptorium, http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg406718
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 9:32 PM Last edited by Ecca : 21st Mar 2020 at 12:19 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
You'll need the storelights.nlo file to go along with the actual content files. 

I have the file, originally from MATY, https://app.box.com/s/r88b3cu78wced7tk8ft36u2i1p526jxt, to install you will need to have teh scriptorium installed.

Thank you @HugeLunatic I have the Scriptorium+radiance installed and I'll look into it asap, at least for that set.

In this couple of hours I've also started to test all the doors and I discovered that some maxis ones with panes do not let light in!

I searched the game for the .nlo files and I just found that the light files from EP6 to EP9 are all 1kb in size and blank with just a # in notepad...
Is it normal or should I worry?

Edit 2020/03/21 00.16:
I've installed and tested Storelights.nlo and now the deco store set works properly (thank you HL!)
I also tested extensively all custom and maxis doors / windows / arches in my game and there are still some anomalies (see images)

Maxis:
The doors 1, 2, 4 and 5 when placed make the room some shades darker.
Door 3 has glass panes and doesn't let light in (?)

Custom:
There are a few discrepancies in arches and doors (Numenor glass doors don't let in light, non-glass doors from the Thorpe build set yes)

How can I fix these?
Is there some tutorial or some line to modify in Simpe?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 10:00 AM
There is already fix for 2 doors http://modthesims.info/d/598899/sol...-light-fix.html
Maybe it helps.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annaminna
There is already fix for 2 doors http://modthesims.info/d/598899/sol...-light-fix.html
Maybe it helps.

It did help, thank you @Annaminna I didn't have those fixes!
Just fired up my game and now the frame of preference and the wooden curve doors don't darken up the room anymore! (see image)
The apartment one and the empire door still do but I guess can be considered a minor glitch and the apartment door is a 'special' one so...

Still trying to fix the others though, the asian store set one included...after yesterday night I'm thinking about the store set .nlo file HL directed me to.
In notepad I saw is not only directed to the artnouveau set but has also lines for the cubic and asian ones.
In theory could I create a new .nlo file to fix the CC doors I have problems with?
I'm looking into it at the moment but I'm not savvy enough to know if it could be doable.
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 12:19 PM
Radiance lighting changed the .nlo files, so they must be listed in one of the other lighting files and/or text files.

The solid doors, imo, should not let light through, and that fix by nopke does just that. However, .nlo files can be edited with Notepad and you can just copy the name in the LGHT resource in SimPE using one of the existing entries in the nlo as reference and for the light setting.

That sentry gate lights fine in my game, so you might have issues with radiance. I did however discover that none of the M&G doors are set for lighting and am working on fixing that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 2:21 PM
Quote:
Radiance lighting changed the .nlo files, so they must be listed in one of the other lighting files and/or text files.

The solid doors, imo, should not let light through, and that fix by nopke does just that. However, .nlo files can be edited with Notepad and you can just copy the name in the LGHT resource in SimPE using one of the existing entries in the nlo as reference and for the light setting.

That sentry gate lights fine in my game, so you might have issues with radiance. I did however discover that none of the M&G doors are set for lighting and am working on fixing that.

@HugeLunatic I went ahead and studied the windows.txt file and its definitions.
By adding lines to the StoreLights.nlo you pointed me to I actually fixed the darker room for the doormodernasian and now the room looks normal.

Lines are:

create WOne(doormodernasiandiagonal_0_0_0_nw_light)
create WOne(doormodernasiandiagonal_0_0_0_se_light)
create WOne(doormodernasian_0_0_0_n_light)
create WOne(doormodernasian_0_1s_0_s_light)
create NS(doormodernasiandiagonal_0_0_0_nw_light)
create EW(doormodernasiandiagonal_0_0_0_se_light)
create NS(doormodernasian_0_0_0_n_light)
create EW(doormodernasian_0_1s_0_s_light)
create noAngle(doormodernasiandiagonal_0_0_0_nw_light)
create noAngle(doormodernasiandiagonal_0_0_0_se_light)
create noAngle(doormodernasian_0_0_0_n_light)
create noAngle(doormodernasian_0_1s_0_s_light)

For the sentry gates the Maxis ones work in my game too (see image), the CC ones don't.
I think I'll try to edit the CC doors one by one with a new .nlo file, it will take me awhile but it's better than nothing.
Thank you for your help HugeLunatic!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 6:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecca
I think I'll try to edit the CC doors one by one with a new .nlo file, it will take me awhile but it's better than nothing.
Thank you for your help HugeLunatic!

Looks like I can't make an .nlo file for CC doors cloned from in-game objects as it will inevitably override and affect the very source.
Learned this while trying to fix Veranka Thorpe doors 4 A B C that have no glass but use the doorbeveledglass definition (I guess that's why they let light in)

I looked in SimPE to the other CC doors that should let light in (Numenor's Wallwindows and leesester's werknoham) and have no NLO or LGHT resources...

This is harder than I thought and far beyond what I am capable of...
Field Researcher
#9 Old 26th Mar 2020 at 12:52 PM
Quote:
I did however discover that none of the M&G doors are set for lighting and am working on fixing that.

@HugeLunatic, I didn't know if you might want to incorporate Cyjon's Frame of Reference fix into your potential m&g doors fix?