Replies: 51 (Who?), Viewed: 9967 times.
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 2:08 PM Last edited by billabum : 11th Oct 2020 at 5:03 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default *SOLVED* Do I have the Super Duper Hug Bug now?
Hey, guys

I just realized that I could have potentially caught something from downloading an infected lot.

I was browsing through the lots on Phaenoh's profile and had another look at one of the lots I've already downloaded a while ago: Spirit of Walters Lo-Rise Apartment Building

Glaring back at me from the very top of the description was a short disclaimer which clearly stated that the lot was infected with the dreaded Super Duper Hug Bug and for whatever reason at the time I completely missed that part when I first came across the lot and carelessly downloaded, then installed the lot into my game and placed it in a neighborhood.

I have not once entered the aforementioned lot while playing and have since deleted it from the game but I honestly don't know for certain if the entire game has been infected by the bug or not as I have not began playing with any sims whatsoever since I started playing again from scratch so I haven't seen the effects of this bug if any.

That literally means I installed The Sims 2: UC and for all the gameplay thus far I have only focused on building a new neighborhood (placing lots, neighborhood deco etc.) so I have not actually created and played with any Sims yet, that also includes pre-existing Sims families already in the game.

What should I do to find out if I definitely caught it? How do I get tested ...or is it already too late for me?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 9:10 AM
Assuming you don't plan on uploading any lots, the only thing you need to do to is install one of the mods that suppress the Super Duper Hug Bug, like Boiling Oil's No Sim Loaded http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-1665.html
Some versions require Smarter EP Check, it's linked and explained in the post.
Scholar
#3 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 2:01 PM
This little file will both test for and remove it from a lot, if the bug exists it will give you a dialogue to let you know then delete it. It will run in buy/build mode so it can be used to test and clean non-liveable lots.
SuperDuperHugTest.zip
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 1:38 AM
No Sim Loaded is one of the essential mods because it prevents this annoying Maxis code becoming active in your game. It can become active (instead of staying in the install files where it belongs) by either a lot or by a social mod. Best to have all the essential mods in before playing.

You can clean the lot with @Chris Hatch lot cleaner that looks like a ball on a stick. Do you have a link for that Chris?

I found it needed a new sims 2 folder to work. When I tried it in the same hood as the Super Hug (caused by a mod) the SDH remained. (probably won't do this when the SDH comes via lot, it does act slightly different when it is contained on a lot vs being hood wide) I renamed my sims 2 folder and ran the game to make a new folder. Installed the lot in there, loaded it and clicked the cleaner which costs $400, saved and went back to hood view. To be double sure I loaded the lot again and moved something and saved again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 2:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hatch
This little file will both test for and remove it from a lot, if the bug exists it will give you a dialogue to let you know then delete it. It will run in buy/build mode so it can be used to test and clean non-liveable lots.
SuperDuperHugTest.zip

Hi, Chris

Would this remove the bug from the entire game or just the individual lot? If so, would I have to run this test on every lot to remove the bug?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 3:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenhole
Assuming you don't plan on uploading any lots, the only thing you need to do to is install one of the mods that suppress the Super Duper Hug Bug, like Boiling Oil's No Sim Loaded http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-1665.html
Some versions require Smarter EP Check, it's linked and explained in the post.

I don't intend to upload any lots but I'm still not entirely certain that I have the bug. Is it guaranteed that I have it because I installed an infected lot?

I am aware of BO's No Sim Loaded mod and EP Check but I'm kind of hesitant to install it. I can see there are a couple versions of the mod.

Would it significantly alter my sims behavior (memories, interactions etc.) or how the game normally functions (like if it was a clean game without any hacks/global mods)?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 3:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
No Sim Loaded is one of the essential mods because it prevents this annoying Maxis code becoming active in your game. It can become active (instead of staying in the install files where it belongs) by either a lot or by a social mod. Best to have all the essential mods in before playing.

You can clean the lot with @Chris Hatch lot cleaner that looks like a ball on a stick. Do you have a link for that Chris?

I found it needed a new sims 2 folder to work. When I tried it in the same hood as the Super Hug (caused by a mod) the SDH remained. (probably won't do this when the SDH comes via lot, it does act slightly different when it is contained on a lot vs being hood wide) I renamed my sims 2 folder and ran the game to make a new folder. Installed the lot in there, loaded it and clicked the cleaner which costs $400, saved and went back to hood view. To be double sure I loaded the lot again and moved something and saved again.

Would the mod still work since I'm already playing the game? I'm in too deep to start a brand new game and lose all the progress I've made
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabum
I am aware of BO's No Sim Loaded mod and EP Check but I'm kind of hesitant to install it. I can see there are a couple versions of the mod.

Would it significantly alter my sims behavior (memories, interactions etc.) or how the game normally functions (like if it was a clean game without any hacks/global mods)?

No, it doesn't really affect the gameplay, it mostly fixes bugs or removes unnecessary thing that can help the game run better. The most noticeable thing would be the gossip memories, that is, if you pay attention to the bubbles of the sims when they are gossiping.
The original mod has 3 versions (here), I believe the basic one doesn't do anything about the Super Duper Hug, so you would have to get one of the other 2 versions that include a lot of features. Alternatively, one of the other 2 versions by Midge the Tree exclude a couple of features (here).

You can read here about what the gossip memories do and decide if you want the version that doesn't remove them. Check the reply #23.
https://modthesims.info/t/562998#postbitpopover_4853384
Scholar
#9 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 1:10 PM
In your case I doubt that you have the problem, the Super Duper Hug Bug is a social controller that has been set as a regular item like a sculpture or a chair so it won't appear in the game. The problem comes when a custom social controller uses the Super Duper Hug's GUID as a fall back GUID, removing the custom controller or downloading a lot that contained it will cause it to fall back on the Super Duper Hug and cause it to exist. Just like placing a chair on one lot won't cause the chair to exist on all lots so too the Bug won't spread if you never had the custom controller, it's only if you do or did have the problem custom controller that it will spread throughout your game.
That file I shared overrides the Super Duper Hug so it will only run if the lot contains the bug, it doesn't exist on any other lot and doesn't run in the background all the time. It'll give you a dialogue if it runs so you know the lot had the problem, if you don't ever get that dialogue then your 'hood is clean.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 1:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borja20
No, it doesn't really affect the gameplay, it mostly fixes bugs or removes unnecessary thing that can help the game run better. The most noticeable thing would be the gossip memories, that is, if you pay attention to the bubbles of the sims when they are gossiping.
The original mod has 3 versions (here), I believe the basic one doesn't do anything about the Super Duper Hug, so you would have to get one of the other 2 versions that include a lot of features. Alternatively, one of the other 2 versions by Midge the Tree exclude a couple of features (here).

You can read here about what the gossip memories do and decide if you want the version that doesn't remove them. Check the reply #23.
https://modthesims.info/t/562998#postbitpopover_4853384

Thanks for the detailed reply this really helps!

My main concern was that these mods would alter my game too much but anything that makes it run better is a positive.

Apart from suppressing the Super Duper Hug but, are there any note worthy improvements by having BO's mod installed? I don't exactly understand all the terminology mentioned in the post on Leefish's blog.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 5:38 PM
No Sim Loaded basically removes useless and/or broken things that accumulate during gameplay. When you load a lot, you'll get a popup stating that x tokens have been fried, scenario controllers removed, sim states fixed and gossip removed. Those things are generally harmless, but a lot of them could slow down your game.

A token is an invisible inventory item/memory that belongs to a sim. They're usually used to indicate something, "Token: I am dead" for example informs the game that the sim is deceased. "Token: Sim Loaded" doesn't do anything.

A scenario controller runs scenarios, like pregnancies, dates, parties, the headmaster scenario, etc. They basically run the scenario. Because The Sims 2 is held together with chewing gum and hope, they sometimes break. Sometimes you won't notice it, sometimes your game starts to act weird.

Gossip is generated when two sims talk about memories. Sim A talks about his marriage (you'll see a wedding symbol in the speech bubble) to Sim B, Sim B will receive an invisible gossip memory. Now when Sim B talk to Sim C, he might tell Sim C how Sim A got married. A lot of gossip can slow your game down, which is why some players use the no gossip version of No Sim Loaded. There's a version that lets you keep the gossip, if you want it.

So in summary, the mod should make your game run smoother and may save a lot from an error caused by a broken controller at some point.
Scholar
#12 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 11:17 PM
Also if you want the gossip but don't want it to accumulate forever and have Pescado's batbox there is an option on there to clear it. You can clear just boring or you can clear everything entirely. I regularly clear boring and do a big clear usually on a major generational turnover or when I notice incredibly old gossip still being spread. I have noticed a significant difference in how smooth my game runs since installing the basic No Sim Loaded, it really is a must-have.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabum
Would the mod still work since I'm already playing the game? I'm in too deep to start a brand new game and lose all the progress I've made

The mod will hide it like a band-aid. But if you upload a lot from this game it will carry the Super Hug code.

With preventives like this, you need to place them and then play, not place them after trouble starts. That is closing the gate after the horse so to speak. I hope you have no unlink on delete and no corrupt death?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 10:45 AM
Quote:
The mod will hide it like a band-aid. But if you upload a lot from this game it will carry the Super Hug code.

With preventives like this, you need to place them and then play, not place them after trouble starts. That is closing the gate after the horse so to speak. I hope you have no unlink on delete and no corrupt death?

I think ChrisHatch is right, I probably don't have the Super Duper Hug Bug but after reading everything it really sounds like I need BO's mod regardless.

I am only hearing about this lol

Can you briefly explain No Unlink on Delete and No Corrupt Death and it's benefits?
Alchemist
#15 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 10:56 AM
Quote:

Unless they're reuploading the exact same lot they just downloaded, there won't be any problem with them uploaded lots with the hug on them.

You can use NSL if you want (lots of people do) but it's really not necessary and it can cause problems if you save the lot at the wrong time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrellyn
Unless they're reuploading the exact same lot they just downloaded, there won't be any problem with them uploaded lots with the hug on them.

You can use NSL if you want (lots of people do) but it's really not necessary and it can cause problems if you save the lot at the wrong time.

Are there potential issues with BO's mod? I've only been hearing good news but of course if there are any downsides I'd like to hear it and consider if it's beneficial to download it at all.
Scholar
#17 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 1:13 PM
Yes, it incorrectly deletes pregnancy controllers. The first things that happens when a sim gives birth is the new mum's pregnancy token is removed, from that point on the pregnancy controller is vulnerable to NSL. If you save the game at the wrong time during a birth the whole birth is at risk. This makes it incompatible with the hospital mod, A&N prevents NSL from existing because of this.
Alchemist
#18 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 4:39 PM
@Chris Hatch, is there any technical reason we can't just remove the Social Download Test group from the objects.package and be done with the whole problem?
Alchemist
#19 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 6:59 PM
Yes, because messing with objects.package can cause game corruption. Also, that's not functionally different than just modding it to delete itself, which is what the mod Chris Hatch posted here does.
Instructor
#20 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 9:14 PM
Oh no! I happened to click on the contents icon while downloading Karen Loraine's Northfield University Dorms and saw the Hugbug notice. New to me as I was not aware of this being a problem. What can we do to be able to use lots with this warning? Or are these now useless? Trying to wrap my elderly mind around just what this is and what it does. ((HELP!!))
Alchemist
#21 Old 9th Sep 2020 at 3:06 AM
Just install a mod that gets rid of it and don't worry about it. That's all you have to do. You can get the NSL if you don't care about the pregnancy controller issue, or the file Chris Hatch posted, or the "remove social" file from here: https://modthesims.info/d/295358/de...nteraction.html or this mod if you fancy it: https://modthesims.info/d/140314/do...2006-03-26.html Any of those will work.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 9th Sep 2020 at 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teafortwo
Oh no! I happened to click on the contents icon while downloading Karen Loraine's Northfield University Dorms and saw the Hugbug notice. New to me as I was not aware of this being a problem. What can we do to be able to use lots with this warning? Or are these now useless? Trying to wrap my elderly mind around just what this is and what it does. ((HELP!!))

It's just Maxis code, it's annoying is all. Most simmers already have this active in their game without realizing it because there are a few mods that hide it.
Just add no sim loaded and hide it or use the lot cleaner and remove it.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 5:01 AM
Hey, guys... I finally got it

After playing for quite some time this bug never seemed to show up until now. I encountered the SDHB on two of Zarathustra's lots: Coltrane Shopping District & Fisk's Bar which are CC free as well. While visiting these lots I noticed that NPCs would constantly try and hug each other and get rejected and then it started spreading from there. After leaving to another lot my sim would approach another sim and try to hug them non-stop. I also noticed an option to DEBUG Super Hug or something along those lines in the interaction menu when clicking on another sim.

I just want to say as a disclaimer that I am not stating that the bug originated from Zarathustra's lots however I only noticed that it occurred on the aforementioned lots. I am a big fan of his creations and after downloading many of his lots this is the first time I've found any issues from playing them.

As a fix, I have downloaded Chris Hatch's mod as mentioned here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hatch
SuperDuperHugTest.zip

As Chris explained, after entering a lot a notification appears with a picture of the grim reaper saying that the lot is infected by the bug and it will then remove it which seems to work like a charm.
Alchemist
#24 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 5:36 AM
If you had it on every lot, you must have gotten it from uninstalling a mod. Just having it on one lot doesn't spread it to others.
Alchemist
#25 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 1:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrellyn
If you had it on every lot, you must have gotten it from uninstalling a mod. Just having it on one lot doesn't spread it to others.

Coltrane Shopping District does have it, though. I didn't test the other. I know so many of you don't care that you have and spread the bug, but, for people who do care, I really urge you to clean every lot you download before letting it go live. I've found quite a few here that carry it and don't have warnings.
Page 1 of 3