Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 8:45 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 19th Jan 2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Unsticking
Default Downloading for dummies
So you found a pretty dress and WANT it.
How do you go about getting it in the game? Just follow these easy steps.

1. Will it work?

First check if the download is compatible with your current game. The Sims 2 has many expansion packs (like University, Night Life, Open for Business). Some downloads require these expansions (EP's) to work properly. You'll find that info in the requirement box.

Each icon means that you need to have that game or EP installed for the download to work.
Screenshots
2422 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 6:41 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 8th Mar 2006 at 6:14 PM.
Default 2. Begin downloading
Once you're sure the download is compatible, you can download it.
Take a look at the Download thread. Under the post you'll find a Download box. In it, you'll find three links.

What do I do now?

MTS2 recommends that you use Q-Xpress for all your downloading needs.
This is a program that allows you to manage your downloading spree and will install the files for you when you're finished.
The Q-link opens Q-Xpress for you and adds the download to the install list.
For it to work, you'll need to have Q-Xpress installed.

Where do I get the Q-Xpress thingy?
Ok, I have that. How do I make it work?

However, if you want to download manually, or have a problem with any items in the game, then please feel free to follow the rest of this article.
The floppy disc and the underlined title do the same thing. Click them to download the file the old-fashioned way. When prompted, Save it to somewhere you'll remember (like the desktop).

Screenshots
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 6:41 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 28th Feb 2006 at 8:02 PM.
Default 3. Getting at the files
So you have your new download on the desktop. Now take a look at what it 'is'
Sims 2 downloads come in many forms.

Zips AKA, Things called 'downloadtitle.zip'.
Zips are archives that contain the actual game-file. You'll need to have WinZIP installed for these to work. Double-click them to extract the goodies withing.

How do I unzip? Where do I get the program?

Rars AKA, Things called 'downloadtitle.rar'
Rars are also archives. You'll need WinRAR to open these. If you have WinRAR installed, just double-click the rar-files to extract.

How do I unrar? Where do I get the program?

Sims2packs AKA, Things called 'downloadtitle.sims2pack'
These are the archives that Maxis made for the game. You can extract these by double-clicking them. They'll automatically install the files to the right folder.

Packages AKA, Things called 'downloadtitle.package'
These babies are what you need. They're the actual download files, and the only ones that will work in The Sims 2. You'll need to put these in your downloads folder.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 6:42 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 28th Feb 2006 at 7:46 PM.
Default 4. Getting it in the game
Once you've extracted the package files, you'll need to put them in your Downloads folder so the game can read them.
Open 'My Documents', this is either in the start menu or on your desktop.
Find the 'EA Games' folder and open it. Then open 'The Sims 2'.
This is where your 'Downloads' folder is. Just drag the package in there and you're done!

My wha? I don't have a downloads folder!
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 6:42 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 4th Nov 2006 at 8:55 AM.
Default 5. Ack! It's still not working!!!
Things to ask yourself.
- Have I enabled custom content? Once you install Night Life, custom content is automatically disabled.

How do I enable custom content in Night Life?

- Is it unpacked properly? Open the Downloads folder. Are all your downloads .package files? Others don't belong in there.

- Is it subfoldered? If you don't have Night Life, clothes, make up, accessories or hair will not work if it's in a subfolders. So open up your Downloads folder and check if there's folders in there.

What can and can't I do with my downloads folder?

- Do you have CEP? You'll find recolours for objects here that have no recolours in the original game. To get those to show up you need to have the CEP file in your Downloads folder.

Allrighty, where do I get CEP?

You'll need to extract the zipfile and put the package in your downloads folder.

- Do you have the meshes? You'll find objects and clothes that have a different shape than the maxis originals (not just a different colour). These different shapes can be recoloured as well. If you find a recolour of a new mesh, you'll need the mesh for it to work. To find the mesh, read the post carefully. Creators usually say what files you need for the download to work. Also take a good look at the 'meshes required' box.

Here you'll find links to the meshes you need. Make sure you download and install them too.

What kind of animal is this 'mesh' you keep talking about?

Nope, I'm still lost. Got any more ideas?

If you're still having trouble, try this page for a big checklist of things that can go wrong.
Screenshots
Locked thread