Replies: 10 (Who?), Viewed: 1935 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2019 at 3:48 AM Last edited by The ForestBalrog : 5th Jan 2020 at 7:01 AM. Reason: Added some more info

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Sims 2 will not start (Solved)
So, I've spent about 3-4 hours today installing The Sims 2. I have a Windows 10 PC, I previously installed it last year on a Win10 laptop with little to no issues. I had crashing problems but using the 4GB patch fixed it. This time around, I can't even get the game to start. I had trouble installing the game in the first place - with University, I had to do a work around just to get it to install (see my post http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...249#post5599249 ).

So after over 3 hours I finally got all the EP's installed, and I still can't start my game. I've tried running in compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 2, I've tried running as administrator. I've also backed up my .exe file and am trying to run it with an exe I have used on my previous Win10 laptop and on my Win7 PC that bypasses the CD check (since the CD check doesn't work on Windows 10). I've updated my application with the 4GB patch and checked the config log to make sure it worked. I also tried the Data Execution Prevention and added The Sims 2 to the list of programs it excludes. I still can't get it to even start. All that happens is my screen resolution will change, then after about 30 seconds I'll get a message that "the application has crashed, the application will now terminate." Also, I have all expansions, and Family Fun, Glamour Life, Kitchen & Bath, and Mansion & Garden. The exe I'm trying to run is from Mansion and Garden. I'm honestly not sure what to do. I have no cache files in My Documents. I've tried to be really thorough but I can't even get a loading screen at this point I've spent my entire Saturday doing this and am at my wits' end. I have no idea how I got it to work on my Windows 10 laptop last year. Any ideas or suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

Also, these were installed from the discs. I do not have the Ultimate Collection, just the original CD & DVD-ROMS.

*Edit: Solved. See this post .
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Dec 2019 at 4:36 AM
Tried running the game in windowed mode? I had the resolution issue at first, but once I set the game to windowed, that particular issue went away.

Win10 and TS2 is not a good combo, though. You may have to do the whole thing with GraphicRules and whatnots to properly fix the resolution issue, and a bunch of other things too.

Also, the 4GB hack doesn't work with compatibility mode, so turn all of those off if you're using this (including admin mode).

Discs (some of them - I think it's BV and up, plus the more recent collections) come with SecuRom, which can be a pain in the behind with Win10, and can cause the game to not work (Win10 ses SecuRom as hostile). Not sure if the CD check completely goes around this issue, so there is a possibility you'll have to remove SecuRom from your computer. The Store Version can also cause problems (possibly the collections after or including AL/M&G). The UC (supposedly) doesn't have these two issues, and (supposedly) should work better with Win10, but it's a lot of trial and failure.

This is a fix for Win8 installs, but it could potentially prove useful for Win10: https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=500523
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Dec 2019 at 5:16 AM
Have you deleted the cache and neighbourhood manager file?

Do that, then move your .exe to the M&G CSBin and try running from there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Dec 2019 at 11:00 AM
I would try updating your video card drivers. Apparently the newer AMD cards such as the 5700 XT have a really hard time working with DX9 games. I think I read that newer drivers might fix the issue. If the updated driver still fails, I’ve had anecdotes like this in my thread about the DXVK approach on MTS about the DXVK+5700 XT being a usable workaround for this issue:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...929#post5589929

Please hit me up on the discord link if you have any issues.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Dec 2019 at 9:06 PM Last edited by The ForestBalrog : 30th Dec 2019 at 9:12 PM. Reason: updated
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Tried running the game in windowed mode? I had the resolution issue at first, but once I set the game to windowed, that particular issue went away.

Win10 and TS2 is not a good combo, though. You may have to do the whole thing with GraphicRules and whatnots to properly fix the resolution issue, and a bunch of other things too.

Also, the 4GB hack doesn't work with compatibility mode, so turn all of those off if you're using this (including admin mode).

Discs (some of them - I think it's BV and up, plus the more recent collections) come with SecuRom, which can be a pain in the behind with Win10, and can cause the game to not work (Win10 ses SecuRom as hostile). Not sure if the CD check completely goes around this issue, so there is a possibility you'll have to remove SecuRom from your computer. The Store Version can also cause problems (possibly the collections after or including AL/M&G). The UC (supposedly) doesn't have these two issues, and (supposedly) should work better with Win10, but it's a lot of trial and failure.

This is a fix for Win8 installs, but it could potentially prove useful for Win10: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=500523


Tried running without compatibility mode and without running as an administrator, still no dice. I can't even get a loading screen or anything, it crashes immediately. I did follow the tutorial linked to install the game, but I had trouble applying the patches because I couldn't even get University to install because it kept failing to update and uninstalling. I had to download the update files and manually place them to get it to finish installing. Last year when I installed it on Windows 10, I was able to at least get loading screens and sometimes get into the Neighborhood or CAS before it would crash, on this new PC I can't get anything. It tries to start and then crashes. I'm wondering if I should just try to uninstall and reinstall all of it at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Have you deleted the cache and neighbourhood manager file?

Do that, then move your .exe to the M&G CSBin and try running from there.


I deleted the neighborhood manager file, and I don't have any other cache files yet. I also tried your suggestion of moving the .exe to CSBin and still no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
I would try updating your video card drivers. Apparently the newer AMD cards such as the 5700 XT have a really hard time working with DX9 games. I think I read that newer drivers might fix the issue. If the updated driver still fails, I’ve had anecdotes like this in my thread about the DXVK approach on MTS about the DXVK+5700 XT being a usable workaround for this issue:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...929#post5589929

Please hit me up on the discord link if you have any issues.


So my graphics card is the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT. Darn, should have looked into it more. I just got this PC last month but I have had some weird graphical issues with certain websites and iTunes as well so I'm not sure what the deal is. The Windows 10 laptop I have that I successfully installed Sims 2 on last year has a NVidia graphics card, so that would probably explain why I had less problems. So I am attempting the graphics card update, I'll hit you up on discord because I don't have the optional version when I try to update, which is what the guide says to do, not sure why. I did the recommended update at least, restarted my PC, still no luck. It immediately crashes. No loading screen, no opening videos or logos, just "The Application has crashed". Man, really wishing I hadn't chosen that graphics card right now.

Also, I wanted to say thank you guys all for your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it! I love The Sims 2 and it's one of my favorite games, I really hope I can get it working but I am so confused lol.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Dec 2019 at 9:22 PM
Install on Win10 from discs: https://plumbobble-head.tumblr.com/...iscs-on-windows (and how to get around the update issue, I think)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Dec 2019 at 9:55 PM Last edited by The ForestBalrog : 30th Dec 2019 at 11:45 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Install on Win10 from discs: https://plumbobble-head.tumblr.com/...iscs-on-windows (and how to get around the update issue, I think)


I did get it to work the other day and update and install the other day (my post here) but just can't launch it. Got my graphics rules all updated and tried some other things like mentioned above, still won't launch. Man, I'm really wanting to send this PC back right about now, I'm pretty sure it's because I have a radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card.

*Update: Probably just giving up with this. I have it working properly, with no graphical errors or crashing (so far) on my Win 10 laptop and on 2 different Windows 7 PCs, and so far it's been an exercise in futility with this computer. I just bought this new computer because my laptop screen broke and I figured it would be nice to have my games on a new, souped up pc, but I guess that's where I went wrong. Since I'm not the best with all this technical stuff and there is just so much room for error here I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong, but again pretty sure the graphics card is the culprit, and I've just still had no luck. Most the games I play are older like Sims 2, Sims 1 and Elder Scrolls Oblivion, so I'm sure I'll have a lot of issues trying to get them to work on this PC and I already have them functioning on my laptop so I'm just going to plug it into my monitor and use that instead. It's just a lot of time and work and it's kind of going over my head, in the future if I buy a computer I'll just go for an old school desktop for my games and probably will be using this PC more for file backup and ripping some DVDs and stuff. But I do want to say thank you again to everyone who offered all the good advice and help and knowledge, I really do appreciate it. If I could at least get a loading screen or something I would feel better but so far nothing I've tried has changed anything. At least I can play the game on my other computers so it's all good. Thanks again, everyone
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 31st Dec 2019 at 7:59 AM
Yeah hit me up on the Discord if you have issues installing the "Optional" driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...deon-rx-5700-xt.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jan 2020 at 1:54 AM Last edited by The ForestBalrog : 4th Jan 2020 at 2:10 AM.
I installed the driver but no changes. I've attached the exception file from my logs folder, I noticed it says "Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION."
I also read on leefish about changing the video card srg file, but I wasn't sure how to add my card to it?
Also, I've tried the D9VK fix mentioned here, still the same results. Can't even get a loading screen or logo of any kind.

Happy New Year btw everyone!
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: txt Sims2Exception 2020.01.03 16.39.34.txt (14.4 KB, 75 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 2:23 AM
That crash appears to come from an installation without the D9VK workaround. The file may be in there but I think you might not have followed the disc-based install warnings I put in my guide to grant Everyone privileges to the folder before copying D9VK's d3d9.dll.

Anyway, please hit me up on Discord if you have any issues. I'm happy to walk you through.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Jan 2020 at 6:04 AM Last edited by The ForestBalrog : 5th Jan 2020 at 8:24 AM. Reason: Fixed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysim
That crash appears to come from an installation without the D9VK workaround. The file may be in there but I think you might not have followed the disc-based install warnings I put in my guide to grant Everyone privileges to the folder before copying D9VK's d3d9.dll.

Anyway, please hit me up on Discord if you have any issues. I'm happy to walk you through.


You're right, I'm looking at your guide and I didn't change the privileges! You're so helpful, thank you again. I'll start up my other PC tomorrow and take a look at it and see if I can't get it running.

Update (like you saw on Discord): Thank you so much crazysim! You are absolutely the best, you're amazing. This fixed everything. Adding the d3d9.dll, removing the extra files I had added in there the other day, and fixing the permissions solved it. Now it loads up super fast. Thank you! :D

I also wanted to add that this fix works for Body Shop crashing as well. I did a 4GB patch to the Body Shop exe, set the permissions to allow for everyone of the CSBin, and added d3d9.dll and Body Shop is now working.
Back to top