Ladder with custom animations
Until now, like many other people I've been happily using Targa's ladder stairs despite the lack of animations - but thanks to Wes_H and his new Animesh exporter for Milkshape, this isn't an issue anymore!
The base object was cloned from Targa's ladder stairs; the mesh was replaced but I kept his original footprint. So this ladder takes only 2 tiles, 1 for the ladder itself and 1 for the landing.
The custom animations are for all ages, except toddlers that can't use stairs anyway; all the locomotion types (sexy, depressed, angry...) will use the same "normal" animation, except the "run" locomotion for which the speed was doubled - pets and ghosts will just jump, at least for ghosts that makes sense
You'll find two different objects below:
- the "Marvine-ladder-animated" with 7 recolours : light wood, dark trashed wood, white, grey, black, blue, and a raw wood texture by Beosboxboy. The base object uses a warm medium wood texture, don't delete that one in game!
- the "Marvine-ladder-animated-metalClone", mesh and texture by Beosboxboy, for an industrial look.
The packages were tested with Seasons and with base game only, I don't think the minor last minute changes will affect that.
- despites all the pains I took, the hands sometimes sink a little in the sides of the ladder, and this is more noticeable on the metal version which uses a slightly thicker mesh. Well it's not too bad with the fading...
- some animation overlays will look weird, like climbing upstairs when holding a baby, or when the sim turns to look at another sim; I didn't figure out how the priorities work so there's nothing I can do about that for now. It shouldn't happen very often anyway, unless you have the nursery upstairs
- when climbing down, the sim turns a little briskly to face the ladder and to walk away; this is the only workaround I found for a skeleton settings issue.
If you notice anything else, please let me know!
Redistribution policy: you're welcome to recolour, clone and modify with appropriate credits - don't upload on pay sites or the Exchange.
Simple ladder: 168 polys
Metal ladder: 1080 polys
Biggest thanks: to Wes_H of course, being his guinea pig was a priviliege , to Echo for answering my dumb questions, and to both Echo and John Brehaut for their great tutorials that got me started.
And, of course, to all the people that made this possible with their tools, research and advice!
This is a new mesh, and means that it's a brand new self contained object that usually does not require a specific Pack (although this is possible depending on the type). It may have Recolours hosted on MTS - check below for more information.
Size: 138.7 KB · Downloads: 126,744 · 27th Jul 2007
|138.7 KB||126,744||27th Jul 2007|
Size: 605.1 KB · Downloads: 186,162 · 27th Jul 2007
|605.1 KB||186,162||27th Jul 2007|
|For a detailed look at individual files, see the Information tab.|
- - File was updated after upload was posted
1. Download: Click the download link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file.
3. Place in Downloads Folder: Cut and paste the .package file(s) into your Downloads folder:
- Origin (Ultimate Collection): Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Downloads\
- Non-Origin, Windows Vista/7/8/10: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
- Non-Origin, Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
- Mac: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads
- Mac x64: /Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads
- For a full, complete guide to downloading complete with pictures and more information, see: Game Help: Downloading for Fracking Idiots.
- Custom content not showing up in the game? See: Game Help: Getting Custom Content to Show Up.
- If you don't have a Downloads folder, just make one. See instructions at: Game Help: No Downloads Folder.
Long overdue: updated policy
- All my files on MTS2 can be included in your FREE uploads with a link to the original thread or my profile.
- If you want to clone or reuse parts of my work, please ask, I don't bite (... any more ;))! And be aware that some of my stuff, like the spiral stairs, would likely need a little additional information unless you know exactly what you're doing.
- Of course no need to ask if you want to recolour my stuff, still I'd appreciate that you let me know so I get a chance to enjoy your work.