MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Fire Mod (UPDATE 11)

by simler90 Posted 12th Sep 2019 at 3:20 AM - Updated 2nd Apr 2021 at 3:57 AM by simler90 : UPDATE 11
472 Thanks  Thanks     78 Favourited
UPDATE 11: I found out why sometimes sims end up hurrying while panicking. Sims are not supposed to hurry while panicking, rather they are supposed to hurry through whatever non-fire related interaction they are currently engaged in. This update fixes that.

- Sims can now react to fires autonomously even if they are very far away from the fire just like in an unmodded game. This is better, because sims have the Fire fear and this is the only way to satisfy that fear. Sims on an apartment lot will still not react if they are in the original outdoor room (room 0), because they are not supposed to.
- Sims will now be put into hurry mode no matter what.

UPDATE 9: Sims could still be pushed to react to fires even if they were next to the mailbox on apartment lots. This has been fixed.

UPDATE 8: I found out that when sims on an apartment lot react to fire and when they run out of the apartment, they will still attempt to react to fire while waiting near the mailbox, which causes sims to satisfy their Fire fears again and decrease the date/outing score if there is an outing/date. This is not supposed to happen, so this update fixes this by preventing sims outside from trying to react to fires on apartment lots and failing. In addition, I have added the Hurry feature back to the mod, but sims will only be eligible to hurry when they first react to a fire tile, or if it has been some time since they last reacted to a particular fire tile. The fire tile itself won't push sims into hurry-mode.

UPDATE 7: This update makes it so that if the fire is outside and the sim inside, or the sim outside and the fire inside, the sim needs to be within 15 tiles of the fire to react, if not, then the sim still has a 20% chance to react. If both the sim and the fire are inside but in different rooms, then the sim needs to be within 25 tiles to react, if not, then the sim still has a 40% chance to react.

UPDATE 6: The game pushes sims into hurry mode when they react to fire in certain cases, but it shouldn't, because it increases their animation speed and it doesn't look natural at all. This update prevents this behaviour, as there is no need for it.

- Sims who have a cell phone will use their cell phone to call the firefighters.
- Zombies are much less likely to call.
- If the sim is outside and the fire inside, or if the sim is inside and the fire outside, then sims won't react to the fire. If the sim and the fire are both outside, then sims will react right away. If both the sim and the fire are inside, then the sim needs to be within 15 tiles of the fire to react.

UPDATE 4: Sims who have studied Fire Safety will also be pushed by the fire tile to interact with the fire at all times.

UPDATE 3: In the original description, I said that studying Fire Safety does nothing. I really meant that, it truly does nothing. There is no difference between a sim who has studied Fire Safety and a sim who has not. However, Maxis did try to make it so that studying Fire Safety would have an effect on gameplay. What they intended to do was that sims who have studied Fire Safety would stop panicking much earlier than sims with no knowledge of Fire Safety, but the code that Maxis put makes no difference at all, because the game always checks to see if the sim who is panicking is in Hurry mode, if so, the game stops the sim from panicking. The problem is that sims are always in Hurry mode when they panic. This is why, in an unmodded game, every sim panics for the exact same duration. In addition, the fire tile constantly keeps pushing sims to panic, meaning that even if sims stopped panicking earlier, they would again be pushed to panic immediately anyway. This update fixes this mess, and makes Maxis' code actually work properly. Now, sims who have studied Fire Safety will keep panicking for only half the regular duration. Sims who have studied Fire Safety now have a 25% chance to panic, and a 75% chance to actually try to stop the fire. So, studying Fire Safety does not guarantee that sims won't panic, but they are very unlikely to, and they will stop panicking much faster than other sims.

UPDATE 2: When a teen or older sim who has studied Fire Safety reacts to a fire, they have a very high chance to extinguish it or call the firefighters, and a low chance to run out of the house. Children who have studied Fire Safety have a high chance to call the firefighters, and a low chance to run out of the house. If the sim can't extinguish the fire or can't call the firefighters, they will run out of the house. If they can't run out of the house (if there is no mailbox), they will panic. Multiple sims can now try to extinguish the same fire tile.

UPDATE 1: I completely forgot about the fact that children can also study Fire Safety. However, children can't extinguish fires. So, I decided to add an interesting feature to this mod. Whenever a sim reacts to a fire tile in the same room, the game checks to see if the sim is a child who has studied Fire Safety. If so, the game pushes the child to use the nearest accessible phone to call the fire department. If the sim is teen or older and has studied Fire Safety, they have a 50% chance to immediately start extinguishing the fire, and 50% chance to call the fire department. If the fire department has already been called, then sims won't call again. There are multiple ways the fire department can be called in Sims 2. For example, the game automatically calls the fire department if you are on an apartment or community lot. If a smoke alarm goes off, then the fire department is immediately called as well.


There are a few problems with fires in the Sims 2. This mod fixes them:
- Studying Fire Safety does not do anything. This mod makes it so that sims who have studied Fire Safety will never panic, and will try to extinguish fires. If a fire tile is already being extinguished by someone else, the sim will not attempt to extinguish the same tile, and will try to extinguish another tile if there is one. This makes sims who have studied Fire Safety very valuable assets to any household or even the entire neighbourhood, as this mod allows sims who have studied Fire Safety to extinguish fires even if they are non-selectable visitors on a lot.
- Ghosts can be pushed to react to fires, which makes the game delete the ghost and show the notification "Sim has died on another lot". This has been fixed.

You need the latest version of 7zip or WinRAR to get this mod.

Requirements: Apartment Life.

Function - Awareness/0x7FD0A790/0x00001018
Function - Awareness - TEST/0x7FD0A790/0x00001024
Interaction - Extinguish - TEST/0x7FD0A790/0x00001012
Interaction - Panic - TEST/0x7FD0A790/0x00001014
Push - Panic/0x7FD0A790/0x00001038
Push - Panic - All Sims Not Interacting/0x7FD0A790/0x0000102C

Download files

Filename Size Downloads Date

Size: 2.5 KB · Downloads: 14,159 · 2nd Apr 2021
2.5 KB 14,159 2nd Apr 2021

Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents

Need help with downloading or installing content? Click here!
24 Comments / Replies (Who?)

Expansion/Stuff packs required:
Sims 2 Apartment Life

24 Comments / replies (Who?)



Type: Global Mods

Tags: #Fire, #Safety, #Extinguish, #Panic, #Smart, #AI, #Firefighter, #Alarm